Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: United 1K
I think United has given up on GPUs

I am booked for ORD-GRU-ORD leaving Monday and returning Friday. I am booked in Business and applied GPU for business to first upgrade when the ticket was bought in July. Its now 2 days before I leave and no upgrade has been processed. There are F4 on the outbound and F6 on the return - in fact on the return, not a single seat is reserved. There is no reason for UA to not open up upgrade space - and in the past that would have been opened. If the GPU can't be applied for a totally open upgrade, why bother with them? #FlyerUnfriendly
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
now 9/9 GPU cleared
Now 10/10 GPU cleared
8MiHi likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k
LAX-EWR today. 14 open J at booking (waitlisted RPU) and 2 days ago still very open. Just booked full and I’m 3 on the list as 1k. 🙄
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:04 pm

had a much needed LAS-EWR RPU clear recently
BeeeJay likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by nottarockstar
LAX-EWR today. 14 open J at booking (waitlisted RPU) and 2 days ago still very open. Just booked full and I’m 3 on the list as 1k. 🙄
Are there a lot of SDC's that fill these flights up so quickly? I've seen this happen in previous experiences with p.s. (well... Polaris now).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
had a much needed LAS-EWR RPU clear recently
For some reason, LAS has been a really difficult upgrade to clear (with the exception of LAS-DEN). I have applied instruments to my LAS-ORD/EWR/IAH segments this year only to end up #2-4 on the list with a full F cabin on DoD.... mostly Monday morning flights or red-eyes on Sunday nights.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
For some reason, LAS has been a really difficult upgrade to clear (with the exception of LAS-DEN). I have applied instruments to my LAS-ORD/EWR/IAH segments this year only to end up #2-4 on the list with a full F cabin on DoD.... mostly Monday morning flights or red-eyes on Sunday nights.
Because hungover weekend warriors are more than willing to blow $219 on check-in upgrade after a +/- $5K weekend on that Sunday red-eye when they have to head straight from the airport to work. (guilty as charged)
8MiHi likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
haven't had a chance to use a GPU or RPU in 3 years. no inventory.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I always come back to this thread when somebody new posts in hopes of reading positive experience of using GPU/RPU. But seems that is not ever the case - kind of makes me feel better about deciding to not shoot for 1K anymore. Hopefully I'll at least be able to use the RPU that I'll get as 2MM Plat next year. As it is still sitting on 1 RPU and 2 GPU that will expire on 1/31/18.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SF1K
I always come back to this thread when somebody new posts in hopes of reading positive experience of using GPU/RPU. But seems that is not ever the case
Why don't you try the GPU Upgrade Success Thread 2017? It has 22 pages of successful 2017 GPU reports.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I always come back to this thread when somebody new posts in hopes of reading positive experience of using GPU/RPU. But seems that is not ever the case - kind of makes me feel better about deciding to not shoot for 1K anymore. Hopefully I'll at least be able to use the RPU that I'll get as 2MM Plat next year. As it is still sitting on 1 RPU and 2 GPU that will expire on 1/31/18.
I just had an RPU clear ORD-YVR. Flight is around two weeks out.
BeeeJay likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I have now used a total of 4 of 18 RPU/GPUs in the past 12 months. I will almost certainly lose the rest by the end of the year. I now even throw them at SFO - LAX runs, I don't care if the are RPUs or GPUs and even with that I have not had them clear. Recently I have had one GPU clear from Biz to F as did my wife on international flights at the gates on both flights. It was certainly nice but in general they definitely are not what they used to be.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: 3 MMer
2 segments tomorrow with the 1st one cleared to f/c (a month ago) using an RPU.
Do I end up higher on the list than anyone else that does NOT use an RPU or GPU towards an u/g on the 2nd segment ?
... and will my name even show up on the u/g list?
Thank you in advance!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
I have now used a total of 4 of 18 RPU/GPUs in the past 12 months. I will almost certainly lose the rest by the end of the year. I now even throw them at SFO - LAX runs, I don't care if the are RPUs or GPUs and even with that I have not had them clear. Recently I have had one GPU clear from Biz to F as did my wife on international flights at the gates on both flights. It was certainly nice but in general they definitely are not what they used to be.
Unfortunately I think it appears to be when you fly. I think most would agree that flexibility is key (and finding space upon booking). I want to fly to SIN; however, I am heavily considering routing through HKG/TPE since I find upgradeable R space at booking. Is it inconvenient, yes. But worth it, I think so.

I fly SFO-LAX weekly starting Q3 and continuing through Q4 on Sunday (late afternoon departures anywhere from 3PM - 8PM) and I've cleared on a CPU on all but 2 times.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Two Bee
2 segments tomorrow with the 1st one cleared to f/c (a month ago) using an RPU.
Do I end up higher on the list than anyone else that does NOT use an RPU or GPU towards an u/g on the 2nd segment ?
... and will my name even show up on the u/g list?
Thank you in advance!
Yes.
And Yes. (once you check in)
Two Bee likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.