Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Got a CPU to clear on a SLC - SFO so didn't through an RPU at that flight. Would have been a waste any how.

Wife just got CPU upgrade from C to F on this AM's flight SFO-ICN. Actually got upgraded over the weekend. We checked the seating availability on line and the flight looked pretty wide open. Not many people heading to Korea these days I guess. Didn't even bother applying a GPU as we bought a C seat.

RPU's still pending on multiple upcoming trans continental flights.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: United 1K/1MM Marriott Platinum
There must be a better way.

I have 6 GPUs to use and I am looking for flights to Asia or Europe in the fall that clear immediately. Do not care where I go so much just want to be sure I use them and not be wasted. Hit 2 million miles last year and been 1k 15 years this is the last as I am retired.

I have looked high and low and can not find any. Never seen GPUs so hard to use.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Chuck_T
I have 6 GPUs to use and I am looking for flights to Asia or Europe in the fall that clear immediately. Do not care where I go so much just want to be sure I use them and not be wasted. Hit 2 million miles last year and been 1k 15 years this is the last as I am retired.

I have looked high and low and can not find any. Never seen GPUs so hard to use.
SFO-HGH has R spaces all the times. I think that SFO-CTU and SFO-XIY have R spaces, too.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Kmxu
SFO-HGH has R spaces all the times. I think that SFO-CTU and SFO-XIY have R spaces, too.
TPE and ICN are also destinations from SFO with availability; typically Tues/Weds are the best bets on the outbounds.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL/AKL are also great candidates for R space outside of high season. As usual, flying Mon/Tue/Wed gets you better inventory.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM

Just booked flights in August SFO to EDI and then LHR to SFO, using up the last of our GPUs. Departing Friday, returning Tues. Went thru FRA both ways, so we're on the upper deck of the 747!

With flights to AKL, SYD and now EDI we've used up all our GPU's!! The trick seems to be flying at off peak days and seasons. Ie winter fall and spring for the Antipodes
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
TPE and ICN are also destinations from SFO with availability; typically Tues/Weds are the best bets on the outbounds.
NRT, HND, and KIX as well.

R availability seems to come in waves. If there's nothing now, keep looking.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: United 1K/1MM Marriott Platinum
Still Looking

Thanks for the feedback. I had not thought about SYD.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Just cleared again EWR-SFO for tomorrow T-36h. Still J7PN6. 6 p.m. flight. So far 100% success using RPUs on p.s. flights.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Just cleared again EWR-SFO for tomorrow T-36h. Still J7PN6. 6 p.m. flight. So far 100% success using RPUs on p.s. flights.
Buy yourself some Super Lotto tickets at the airport now! I NEVER have had an RPU clear on that route (Well in the past 24 months).
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by cfischer
What fare classes?

With 19 seats open on a 77W, p.s. service SFO to EWR tomorrow (I'm a 1K on a T fare), they filled the flight in the first hour of check-in without my position as 5th on the waitlist budging.

I'd like transparency. Have them tell me my RPU is worth $65 to them (probably less), and I'm as dumb as the old folks with Plain Old Telephone Service if I thought requalifying for 1K was a worthy investment last year. Have them tell me my odds of clearing are 7% because they're certain to fill the cabin with TOD upgrades. But (!) because they value my business, they'll let me apply the $65 value of my RPU to their final offer to clear me into the cabin, at a final offer price.

Instead, I reflect on how when I learned chess, you assume everyone is Bobby Fischer, and offer your best game. You never assume your opponent is an idiot. Yet United's very business model is predicated on exploiting perceived idiocy, dividing up the market in ways that recognize the idiocy in, say, requalifying for 1K. This goes against the idea of greater transparency.

United has become the primary source of hostility in my life. I'm pretty fortunate as a math professor that my other interactions are rather uplifting. Having to constantly consider that United is gaming me is not good for my mental health. This is perhaps the best argument for a status match elsewhere. They clearly don't care. Like POTS phone service, they'll laugh all the way to the bank over the 1Ks that linger.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Syzygies
What fare classes?

With 19 seats open on a 77W, p.s. service SFO to EWR tomorrow (I'm a 1K on a T fare), they filled the flight in the first hour of check-in without my position as 5th on the waitlist budging.
L-class
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:45 pm

I just cleared 3 RPUs 3 days ago, 2 on a EWR-SFO round trip for June, another on a SFO-LAS also in June. I'm doing LAS-OAK on WU, so no RPU for me there.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by Syzygies
United has become the primary source of hostility in my life. I'm pretty fortunate as a math professor that my other interactions are rather uplifting. Having to constantly consider that United is gaming me is not good for my mental health. This is perhaps the best argument for a status match elsewhere. They clearly don't care. Like POTS phone service, they'll laugh all the way to the bank over the 1Ks that linger.
Not a report on GPU's or RPU's, but just to follow up on Syzygies opinion:

Today I received an e-mail that my flight from LAS-DEN-MSP in August was changed --- There was it no update or any other info in the e-mail, and NO RED notification in the itinerary. Looked at my itineraries and sure enough I am now going thru SFO instead of DEN, with a "Run like hell" connection. Since I had a 4 hour "K" class return on the following Monday, I called and politely asked if I could be changed to a 1 1/2 hr connection in DEN instead of the 4 1/2 hours that I had originally purchased --- Immediate, without a pause, reply, "Sir, you had 24 hours to cancel, or change, your purchase 2 months ago, therefore..." Whoop's my phone suddenly disconnected!

At least I didn't get the canned spiel, "Thank you sooooooo much for being a Premier Platinum with over 2 million 800 thousand miles with United. We really dooooooooooo appreciate your loyalty!--- Are you going to be needing a Hertz rental in MSP?"
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
As a GS, these certificates cant be more valuable. Cant get enough of them. In fact, glad to take donations if anyone feels they are useless

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.