Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays"

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays"

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 27, 19, 3:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 4, 19, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AF Silver
I often start checking flights early because my meetings rarely change. I happened to be looking at flights in the fall for a meeting in Europe and found several flights over and back with PZ on the dates I need, so went ahead and booked for 1.9k and 2 GPUs. Discount business was about 3.3k, so I figure that makes them worth 700 each. So I am getting some use out of them. We’ll see if I can use any of the others.
Old Feb 4, 19, 9:10 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Isn't that flight (LAX - EWR) a PS flight anyhow so not CPU eligible or is 2418 not PS? FWIW I have now booked several flights SFO_EWR, SFO-BOS, SFO-DEN with instruments in play and NONE so far have cleared as a GS. I should say this Fridays LAX to CLE flight for me cleared at booking but that was with a call to the GS desk saying I saw PN space yet my upgrade wouldn't go through. She did confirm that and pushed it through.
My husband and I have had great luck on SFO <--> BOS legs in the last 2 months. He had 2 RPUs clear - one at booking and a few days before the flight. Like you, I noticed PN > 1 on a flight I have in 2 days. So I called and the upgrade went through. This means 3 of 3 flights upgraded with RPUs. (It might have been 4 of 4, but I had a flight cancelled with the weather a few weeks ago!)
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Initial experience with instruments as GS (from 1K) is that definitely a GS with an instruments seems to almost certainly get an upgrade. I have all my instrument upgraded flights clear. From my previous posts that was clearly NOT the case as a 1K. But so far CPU clearance as a GS has been disappointing, I have not had an upgrade in my initial 4 of 5 flights as a GS. At this point it is all about managing my expectations I guess.
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
At this point it is all about managing my expectations I guess.
I think that that is a sad, yet universal, truth.
Phil Level and nomad420 like this.
Old Feb 14, 19, 6:48 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
I need to fly EWR-CPH next month and had some flexibility so asked the 1K phone agent to look for any availability leaving either Wednesday 3/20 or Thursday 3/21, at any time, connecting through anywhere in Europe. No dice -- no PZ availability on a single flight EWR-Europe on either day!! Guess the GPU I had extended until April because I wasn't able to use all of mine in 2018 is going to go unused.
Old Feb 14, 19, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AF Silver
Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
I need to fly EWR-CPH next month and had some flexibility so asked the 1K phone agent to look for any availability leaving either Wednesday 3/20 or Thursday 3/21, at any time, connecting through anywhere in Europe. No dice -- no PZ availability on a single flight EWR-Europe on either day!! Guess the GPU I had extended until April because I wasn't able to use all of mine in 2018 is going to go unused.
Might check IAD, too, if you don't mind an extra connection. But if you have a credit card that transfers to Avios, check BA for PE to CW upgrade. That is what I am doing about the same time TATL due not only to the absence of PZ but J fares that are really out of whack (USD 9K+).
Old Feb 14, 19, 8:20 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
OT, but UA has W fares to NRT sub-$800 from a few US cities. just a heads up.

Old Feb 14, 19, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by findark View Post
It's pretty fascinating to compare that list against the public list though. The length implies it is something like all Premiers, but almost everyone on the real list is very high up on the long list... not entirely sure what can be concluded here.
Sorry for being dense, and I did read back through the thread, but how do you get to the “hidden” (eligible passenger ranking) list?
Old Feb 14, 19, 10:34 am

So, please forgive my naïveté, but aren't you presuming that the upgrade wouldn't clear eventually? I don't think that I've ever booked a flight with PZ > 0, but I have had GPUs clear. I'm counting on this when I fly to Europe next month.
Old Feb 14, 19, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by iapetus View Post
So, please forgive my naïveté, but aren't you presuming that the upgrade wouldn't clear eventually?
Sadly that isn't unusual these days. PZ space on those flights is truly a like seeing a unicorn and I have certainly been burned waiting my GPU to clear.
Old Feb 14, 19, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by djmp View Post
Sorry for being dense, and I did read back through the thread, but how do you get to the “hidden” (eligible passenger ranking) list?
Sometimes when you are offered a cash upgrade offer, they will purportedly show you the "customers eligible for upgrade" which is this "hidden" list.
djmp likes this.
Old Feb 14, 19, 1:53 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: United 1K 2 MM
I've never found GPU space out of Newark. Other cities, including SFO, I have much better luck.
Old Feb 14, 19, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by mmack View Post
I've never found GPU space out of Newark.
The first time I ever applied a GPU was EWR-FRA. And it cleared!

And then my inbound was delayed on the ground at EWR ... and I missed my connection. I flew over on a 757 to LHR in E+.

My luck has been better since.
Old Feb 24, 19, 11:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FWIW, been applying my two extended 2018 GPUs expiring on 04/30/19 on t.p.s./p.t.s. flight segments only.

This past week on SFO-BOS and then EWR-SFO both were used as last minute upgrades into J. SFO-BOS was on a 752 and then EWR-SFO was on a 781.

I've also learned to apply the instruments as close to T-24 as possible. UA's system seems to hate having RPU/GPU instruments applied and, once applied to any specific segment such as a t.p.s./p.t.s. route, refuses to then let me know what any of the buy up offers are for all segments.

David
tstauck likes this.
Old Mar 3, 19, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS 75k, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz somthingorother
I had the system eat an RPU after making a change on a weather waiver. I'm seriously debating whether it's worth calling to get it back considering I've had zero luck even getting into the top 5 on the upgrade list with an RPU so far this year. I'm currently sitting at 15th on what must be an insanely elite heavy flight, with an upgrade list about 100 people long. Last year I had no problem using my RPUs, maybe I should fly to Mexico for a weekend, those flights seem to be the best shot!

Search this Thread