Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays"

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays"

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 27, 19, 3:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 23, 19, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by Artpen100 View Post
I did buy some discount P where UA was cheaper than other carriers But I also bought some business class on BA where it was less than UA. Was that what UA wanted?
I spent over $15k on OAL last year that might have gone to UA if they offered either upgrade space at booking or competitive schedule/pricing. I don't see that changing this year . . . if anything, OALs may get even more of my spend.
Old Jan 23, 19, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire Elite
i surprisingly had an SFO > IAD flight clear an RPU about 4 days in advance! I've been lucky to use all my GPUs from the last year, down to zero now until I fulfill this year's 1K requirement.
Old Jan 29, 19, 3:51 pm

Programs: Starting over. UA Platinum. Previously UA Global Svc; CO Presidential Platinum; SPG Platinum
RPUs seem useless

Iím 1k (and pissed about it ó although Iím trying to get over it).

If GS take priority over RPU from 1k ó then what good does it do me. The one open seat always goes to GS.

Markie likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP
Originally Posted by mc1263 View Post
Iím 1k (and pissed about it ó although Iím trying to get over it).

If GS take priority over RPU from 1k ó then what good does it do me. The one open seat always goes to GS.

That's intentional... Until you become 3-4x more valuable as a customer.
Old Jan 29, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by VWang1111 View Post

That's intentional... Until you become 3-4x more valuable as a customer.
OK so 1K for years and just got the GS invite (first time). I spent last week booking several flights, shifing RPU/GPU around, and make a couple of flight changes. The invite came relatively late so I had already booked several flights with AS and will let those stand for now. I had previously posted (multiple times) at my frustration with UA much like mc1263 so finally began to make the move to AS. The recent GS invite MAY be a game changer but the jury is still out for me. NONE of the flights I booked including one international had PN space for an immediate upgrade. I am wait-listed on ALL bookings for upgrades with instruments and none of course have cleared as of today. No CPUs but haven't flown on UA as a GS yet and actually won't for a month because of the AS flights. I had said I will report back as to how things go. But I would say reading the GS wiki's I see a lot of the same complaints on that side of the fence so to say. They also recently had some rule changes (last Dec) that cut into the GS benefits. I won't go into them here but you can look at the GS benefit thread and see what I am referring to. I must admit I will intentionally ramp up my UA spend this year if for no other reason than to take advantage of the GS status while I have it. But for now, as I said the jury is still out.
Old Jan 30, 19, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
OK so 1K for years and just got the GS invite (first time). I spent last week booking several flights, shifing RPU/GPU around, and make a couple of flight changes. The invite came relatively late so I had already booked several flights with AS and will let those stand for now. I had previously posted (multiple times) at my frustration with UA much like mc1263 so finally began to make the move to AS. The recent GS invite MAY be a game changer but the jury is still out for me. NONE of the flights I booked including one international had PN space for an immediate upgrade. I am wait-listed on ALL bookings for upgrades with instruments and none of course have cleared as of today. No CPUs but haven't flown on UA as a GS yet and actually won't for a month because of the AS flights. I had said I will report back as to how things go. But I would say reading the GS wiki's I see a lot of the same complaints on that side of the fence so to say. They also recently had some rule changes (last Dec) that cut into the GS benefits. I won't go into them here but you can look at the GS benefit thread and see what I am referring to. I must admit I will intentionally ramp up my UA spend this year if for no other reason than to take advantage of the GS status while I have it. But for now, as I said the jury is still out.
Well congrats on the GS invite at least!
Markie, jsloan and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 30, 19, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP
And it totally makes sense that United would rather sell the seat up front for cash rather than give it away for free even if you're GS. Just responding to the comment that mc1263 made that if there's a single seat left that they couldn't sell, should United give it away to a GS for free (CPU on domestic flights) or a 1k on an instrument? As a 1k I would like United to do the latter but can totally understand why they go with the former.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 30, 19, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by VWang1111 View Post
And it totally makes sense that United would rather sell the seat up front for cash rather than give it away for free even if you're GS.
Well this has been extensively debated for many years, and there is a solid argument that when UA refuses to open upgrade inventory and/or sells the front cabin too cheap, particularly with the day of departure upsells, it risks losing revenue by alienating high-spending elites who move their business elsewhere.

Ultimately how UA handles upgrade inventory is up to management. But there is no question that the decline in upgrade availability has caused me to shift a substantial quantity of flying to other carriers over the past two years. If I have to pay for J/F, I'm only going to buy UA when it offers a competitive combination of price, product, and schedule, and that is often not the case.
Old Jan 30, 19, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I can tell you that GS is a game changer. Except for few routes like LHR-SFO, SFO/LAX-EWR, you will get upgraded.

I expect your success rate as GS will be very high.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jan 30, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
I can tell you that GS is a game changer. Except for few routes like LHR-SFO, SFO/LAX-EWR, you will get upgraded..
LOL.... Sadly the routes I did indeed book were SFO-LHR AND two runs from SFO to EWR. My wife (GS ) had a SFO-IAH and and SFO-ICH booked and neither have cleared as of now. I should say she has the instrument only on the ICH flight. I will remain optimistic and thanks.
Old Feb 1, 19, 8:07 am

am trying to phrase this so i don't sound like i'm complaining about GPU value...but what am i doing wrong on united.com? 1k searching for any pz availability from west coast to asia...i searching from 3 different airports on west coast, and i'm searching into icn/tpe/pek/pvg..even into hkg/kix/tyo...i'm seeing PZ0 everywhere...1 week out, 3 weeks out, 6 weeks out...

have they changed the search functionality or is inventory really 0.
i've never really complained about GPU value, and have noticed in past dwindling availability, but never flat out 0.
i must be doing something wrong?
Old Feb 1, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by pruss2ny View Post
am trying to phrase this so i don't sound like i'm complaining about GPU value...but what am i doing wrong on united.com? 1k searching for any pz availability from west coast to asia...i searching from 3 different airports on west coast, and i'm searching into icn/tpe/pek/pvg..even into hkg/kix/tyo...i'm seeing PZ0 everywhere...1 week out, 3 weeks out, 6 weeks out...

have they changed the search functionality or is inventory really 0.
i've never really complained about GPU value, and have noticed in past dwindling availability, but never flat out 0.
i must be doing something wrong?
There is currently an issue on United.com where all PZ inventory is showing as 0 in expert mode.

Has UA Zeroed ALL Advance Polaris PZ Inventory?{Resolved or is it?Expert Mode error?}

It came back briefly, then disappeared again. Thread above has much more detail.
pruss2ny likes this.
Old Feb 1, 19, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AF Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Ultimately how UA handles upgrade inventory is up to management. But there is no question that the decline in upgrade availability has caused me to shift a substantial quantity of flying to other carriers over the past two years. If I have to pay for J/F, I'm only going to buy UA when it offers a competitive combination of price, product, and schedule, and that is often not the case.
That is really it. I fly a lot internationally, and using even one GPU will often make the UA flight the cheapest business class, and I will buy it. Otherwise, I am happy to buy UA if it is cheapest business class, or another carrier if they are the cheapest. I'm not loyal to the brand (maybe if every flight had been like the original Polaris advertisements, I'd have become more loyal) or to 1K status, and I would already have bought more long-haul UA in 2019 if the GPUs had been more usable. For 2019, PZ availability really seems to have shrunk. I suspect a lot of people who fly at the 1K level think that way. We are not going to fly UA just out of loyalty. But we fly a lot.
Old Feb 1, 19, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artpen100 View Post
For 2019, PZ availability really seems to have shrunk. I suspect a lot of people who fly at the 1K level think that way. We are not going to fly UA just out of loyalty. But we fly a lot.
I would actually like to keep 1K, but UA is not really encouraging that this year with the tightened upgrade inventory and IT snafus which devalue the program. I'm not going to rant about it as if it were a personal affront, but the upgrade certificates are becoming more and more difficult to use, and it does impact my broader purchasing decisions.
Old Feb 1, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I would actually like to keep 1K, but UA is not really encouraging that this year with the tightened upgrade inventory and IT snafus which devalue the program. I'm not going to rant about it as if it were a personal affront, but the upgrade certificates are becoming more and more difficult to use, and it does impact my broader purchasing decisions.
That seems like the most rational approach. Purchase what gets you the most utility. In my case, United gets me where I want to go with direct flights, the experience meets my overall expectations, and Iíve never had a safety issue with them. Do I wish every flight was NH F, of course I do. But itís not going to happen so whatís the point of taking it personally (donít mean you).

If UA doesnít meet your needs, vote with your dollars and book elsewhere. Not sure why everyone else needs to know...

Search this Thread