Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA69 (ARN-EWR): Wrong plane, wrong fuel calculations, or bad weather?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA69 (ARN-EWR): Wrong plane, wrong fuel calculations, or bad weather?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by hughw
By using the 757-200, UA can offer many direct flights to more cities without the need for a connection.

I believe the OP is from LAX.

He's not getting to Stockholm without a connection.

The nonstop argument only works for those who are flying the flight as a nonstop.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by channa

The nonstop argument only works for those who are flying the flight as a nonstop.
Indeed.

In fact westbound, a connection inside Europe is bound to be easier and quicker than a connection at EWR which will require going through immigration and customs as the first point of entry (most European airports are either within the EU or allow their transiting passengers to connect without going through passport control).
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
Originally Posted by GUWonder
IME with this flight, those with UA FFP account numbers in their records are far more likely to get those emails than other customers; and even then, they don't get to everyone with a UA FFP account number in the record.
Thanks for pointing that out. Went ahead and threw my info into the site and it offered $100, 7k miles or 10% off, even without the email.

Originally Posted by clubord
What most people here don't realize is the vast majority of diversions on the B752 are not done solely because of strong headwinds but rather a function of the forecast weather at the destination being below a threshold requiring an alternate airport.

Take your 9:20 flight time for example; the B752 can handle that. It is on the upper end endurance-wise but definitely doable without stopping. However, if the weather at EWR requires an alternate....you're screwed and stopping for gas somewhere. If it is known that an alternate is required before takeoff, you are notified by the crew before leaving. If the weather deteriorates mid flight, then you're forced to stop en route somewhere.

Simply put, the required fuel over destination (planned landing fuel) has to be artificially increased when an alternate airport is required. For example, let's say on a normal, good weather day we plan to land in EWR with 9.5 (9500 lbs of fuel). Unfortunately, the forecasted ceiling is below 2,000' or visibility less than 3SM, so we need an alternate...let's say ALB. The flight from EWR to ALB takes 2.0 (2000 lbs of fuel). Our new minimum fuel requirement at destination is now 9.5+2.0=11.5 (11,500 lbs of fuel), roughly a 20% increase.

Strong headwinds obviously are the fundamental cause for this to be an issue because of the increased flight times. However, if you actually investigate things further, the forecasted ceiling at the destination is usually the technical reason for the vast number of diversions.

For those that care , hope this helps!
Thanks for the more thorough explanation. The pilots on today's flight explained the fuel stop as a combination of weather in EWR and the headwinds. Given NYC airspace, it made sense, but your explanation is much more thorough.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 9, 2013 at 7:52 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halfpny
Thanks for pointing that out. Went ahead and threw my info into the site and it offered $100, 7k miles or 10% off, even without the email.
What link did you use?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
What link did you use?
Just http://www.united.com/appreciation and then filled in the details for the ARN-EWR flight. It didn't like the ticket number but the confirmation number brought up the message apologizing for having to stop on a non-stop flight and the offer of compensation.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
It was said to be diverted, even by UA's own employees and contractors.
They were wrong.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by star_world
They were wrong.
Or they were right -- in that it's a flight diversion since passengers were sold a non-stop flight and instead the same-day flight for travel between the same O&D on a single flight number ended up not being a non-stop flight despite all of that.

IME, a plurality of the passengers on my ARN-EWR flights are not connecting.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 9, 2013 at 8:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:03 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Don't forget that BA also has LCY-JFK which has a scheduled "immigration" stop in SNN, they also "happen to refuel" while they they are there, so people actually book a TATL flight with a stop every time on a scarebus A318 and as a premium product...

tht
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Or they were right -- in that it's a flight diversion since passengers were sold a non-stop flight and instead the same-day flight for travel between the same O&D on a single flight number ended up not being a non-stop flight despite all of that.
That's called a disruption, or an inconvenience. It's not a diversion.

Not minimising it, or saying it's less significant or anything of the sort, but it's just not what you say it is.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:55 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Indeed.

In fact westbound, a connection inside Europe is bound to be easier and quicker than a connection at EWR which will require going through immigration and customs as the first point of entry (most European airports are either within the EU or allow their transiting passengers to connect without going through passport control).
Eastbound it doesn't change a lot though.

Also, westbound you'll still have to go through passport control in the EU unless you are connecting from a non-schengen country. A big advantage is sometimes not having to redo security checks and re-check your bags.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:39 pm

Since both the 12/9 and 12/10 ARN-EWR flights will stop at Goose Bay...

Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond

Right, I'm from LAX. My friend's final destination was CLE. The whole connecting flight argument doesn't matter to me or my friend, since they'd have to connect to a North American international gateway anyway. My friend grumbled about the stop in BDL, and I was curious and wanted to investigate.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tht
Don't forget that BA also has LCY-JFK which has a scheduled "immigration" stop in SNN, they also "happen to refuel" while they they are there, so people actually book a TATL flight with a stop every time on a scarebus A318 and as a premium product...

tht
That flight makes sense for two reasons: LCY is more convenient for many than LHR/LGW/STN/LTN since it is right in the heart of a business district; and CBP pre-clearance in Ireland means no dealing with the bigger hassles of clearing CBP at JFK or EWR.

Originally Posted by star_world
That's called a disruption, or an inconvenience. It's not a diversion.

Not minimising it, or saying it's less significant or anything of the sort, but it's just not what you say it is.
Semantics doesn't change a thing -- call it a disruption, a diversion, or an inconvenience. It's quite clearly a convenience for the airline more than it is for the passengers, even as passengers and airline employees are well within their right to call such flight outcomes a flight diversion regardless of what some may want to acknowledge or deny.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
I'm doing ARN-EWR-CLE-SAN on Dec.28th.
Gotta say, this might be an interesting flight. ...but then again, whatever happens, happens.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Semantics doesn't change a thing -- call it a disruption, a diversion, or an inconvenience. It's quite clearly a convenience for the airline more than it is for the passengers, even as passengers and airline employees are well within their right to call such flight outcomes a flight diversion regardless of what some may want to acknowledge or deny.
Of course - by any common sense measure, it's a diversion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.