Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA69 (ARN-EWR): Wrong plane, wrong fuel calculations, or bad weather?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA69 (ARN-EWR): Wrong plane, wrong fuel calculations, or bad weather?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Honestly, I'm okay with this. I just need to go to BGR at about 10 AM eastern and I can go plane watching.

I used to be concerned about the lack of available flights in BGR to the various hubs. But that hasn't been an issue lately. I just can't actually get on them.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Indelaware
As many times as I have flown TATL 757s, I have never been lucky enough to be diverted for fueling. Somehow it is always the flights on the day before and the day after my own flight that make these adventuresome stops.

I don't know why others are so much luckier, but I keep hoping. Still, I'm starting to think that I'm just going to have to take the leap and spend a few days flying AC in order to add YYR, YQX, and YYT to my list of flown airports. I did manage to get to BGR and PQI on CO in the old days.
I have it on good authority that this problem arose when they asked the refueler for a full truck of fuel but only half was poured. Apparently new policy is the you have to ask the truck to be left to get the full load.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halfpny
The check in agent for the premier lane was upfront about the delay at check in. It didn't look like everyone was as well informed at that point, but they made it very clear again at the gate. The crew on the flight gave quite a few updates throughout the flight. I was not offered an alternative, but I suspect that the hour delay (almost exactly an hour late on arrival to Newark) was still the quickest routing.
I would have been curious in your case, if you had requested ARN-FRA/MUC/ZRH/etc.-IAD, would they have accomodated willingly...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The check in agent for the premier lane was upfront about the delay at check in. It didn't look like everyone was as well informed at that point, but they made it very clear again at the gate. The crew on the flight gave quite a few updates throughout the flight. I was not offered an alternative, but I suspect that the hour delay (almost exactly an hour late on arrival to Newark) was still the quickest routing.
I would have been curious in your case, if you had requested ARN-FRA/MUC/ZRH/etc.-IAD, would they have accomodated willingly...
That's a good question that I didn't really consider, since my layover in Newark seemed sufficiently padded and I didn't have a data connection at the check in counter to look at my options. FWIW they did automatically protect me on the later connection to Dca.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
For anyone flying one of these faux-nonstop flights that are magically "planned as two segments" - PLEASE let us know if UA was fully forthcoming about the stop BEFORE stepping on the plane, and actively offered to book you onto other routings.

Somehow I kinda have my doubts.
I was on UA97 TXL-EWR on the 752 yesterday (Sunday), and we had a fuel stop in Bangor.

I was flying TXL-EWR-LAS-LAX (with about a 2 hr layover in EWR), and UA proactively confirmed me (on Saturday, without me calling) on a EWR-LAX non-stop that left about 4 hours after my scheduled EWR arrival (in addition to keeping me on my original flights). I received no e-mail or phone call about this change, I just happened to see it in my reservation earlier. I called the premier line to figure out what was going on, and after 20 minutes they finally figured out that they were protecting me on the later flight since they were anticipating fuel stops, but couldn't actually confirm that there was going to be one.

Upon arrival at TXL on Sunday morning, the counter agents were unaware whether there would be a fuel stop (they also didn't really see my other booking option, or were confused by the LAS and LAX similarity).

After getting on the plane, the FAs & pilot then informed the pax of the fuel stop. Quite a few unhappy pax apparently weren't aware of this, and also weren't sure what this meant for their travel plans. Had I not been watching my reservation I too would've been pretty clueless (and worried).

The fuel stop in Bangor was only about 40 minutes (which I think would've been less than any connection in the EU so you didn't have to make the fuel stop), then we were held on the ground (probably thanks to ATC) just shy of the runway for 15 more minutes. We then seemed to do a little meandering around EWR and landed about 1 hr 40 min late.

After waiting what was probably 20+ minutes for baggage to arrive, I'm pretty sure most people's connections would've been toast. When I tried to get a new tag for my checked bag that reflected my new itinerary, they directed me to the "International Connections" desk which had a massive line and only a GS & GF priority lane. Instead, I just went upstairs and went to the premier check-in/bag drop and got a new label and BP there.

I think a pax with no status would've missed any connection in EWR that was less than 3-4 hours, and who knows whether UA did any proactive rebooking for them.

On the somewhat bright side, on arrival at EWR I had an appreciation e-mail waiting for me. Offered $200, 9000 miles, or 10% off my next flight.

I was only flying through LAS to try to increase my upgrade chances, but it wasn't going to work this time around, so I don't mind the rebooking on the direct EWR-LAX flight, especially since it arrived before my originally planned EWR-LAS-LAX itinerary.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
Also, at least one person on my flight was sent a customer appreciation email upon arrival in Newark. I have not seen one yet, but I'm not sure if traveling on my us dm number has any effect on that.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I have it on good authority that this problem arose when they asked the refueler for a full truck of fuel but only half was poured. Apparently new policy is the you have to ask the truck to be left to get the full load.
I am rather confused.

How does your comment correspond to my observation that I have been unlucky enough not to visit the airports which I cited?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I am rather confused.

How does your comment correspond to my observation that I have been unlucky enough not to visit the airports which I cited?
It's a soda can joke.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
I was on UA69 ARN-EWR on Dec 8th. I was fully expecting a fuel stop as the flight plan time was showing 9:20 when I checked FlightAware. Was surprised that no one mentioned the possibility at check in or when boarding - although I still expected a last minute diversion based on the headwinds and projected flight time. But it didn't happen. Guess I got lucky as it looks like day before and day after diverted.

The flight was not that full - probably about 1/2 full in Economy as far as I could tell, so maybe they were able to load more fuel??
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have only flown this route once, and they knew in advance that headwinds were strong. UA subbed in a 767-200. Obviously that isn't an option anymore with them all retired, but I was quite impressed with how proactive and knowledgeable the ARN staff was about the equipment sub (e.g. very helpful in selecting new seats, very apologetic about the lack of lie flats, etc).
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
And to put in perspective, the 752 is hardly the only aircraft that is operated on routes that challenge the a/c's range.

Currently, the longest flight in the world is operated by QF with its signature 744ER, a version of the 747-400 with extra fuel tanks that was essentially designed by Boeing for Qantas.

This is QF 007 SYD-DFW, which covers about 8,478 miles. This flight has made a number of fuel-stop diversions as well, for the same reason some of the westerly TATL 752 flight do, namely it operates very close to its maximum range.

In some ways, QF operating a 744ER in this route is not so different from UA's decision to operate a 752 on TXL-EWR, since one could argue that the 772LR (with its far greater range) would be a much better choice.

One has to assume. though, that QF choses the 744ER for business reasons, namely they want to fly an a/c with more capacity than the 772LR (of course, QF doesn't have any 777's in its fleet).

And very little mention is ever made of the numerous 737 or A-320 family westerly transcons that make fuel stops on a fairly regular basis during this same period of high late fall and winter head winds.

Again, in every case, these fuel stops represent some degree of inconvenience to the passenger which can range from inconsequential to severe.

While much is made of the delays caused by fuel stops, let's not forget that at least a portion of the delay is due to flying in tremendous head winds. In these cases, even without a fuel stop, the arrival would likely be delayed.

In the end, though, airlines make calculations based on numerous parameters that create a series of compromises.

It is inconvenient to have a fuel stop on a 752 OSL-EWR, of course. But if UA didn't fly the 752 on this route they would likely drop it all together and a passenger flying from Oslo to Newark would need to connect somewhere in Europe and the travel time would be at least as long as the flight on the non-stop including the fuel-stop diversion (at least for passengers terminating at EWR).

The same goes for transcons operated on 737's and A-320-family a/c by AA, B6, DL, UA, US and VX.

And so on...
This is idiotic. When shoveling out hundreds, even thousands of dollars into the pockets of airline companies, reliability should be expected. The integrity of a company should be, but is not, damaged by the increasing delays noticed in a majority of flights. This is because the airline companies that don't hold true to a commitment are the majority. Small time companies with little to show for their commitment are more trustworthy because they have a lower population of customers.

Just my two cents.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by star_world
Not diverted - planned as two segments before they left. There's a huge difference; the main one from a passenger's perspective is that it allows for any changes to connections to be made before departure (including putting the passenger on a different flight ex-ARN if needed).
It was said to be diverted, even by UA's own employees and contractors.

There's no huge difference for the passengers whom I know were on that flight today.

Also, at least one person on my flight was sent a customer appreciation email upon arrival in Newark. I have not seen one yet, but I'm not sure if traveling on my us dm number has any effect on that.
IME with this flight, those with UA FFP account numbers in their records are far more likely to get those emails than other customers; and even then, they don't get to everyone with a UA FFP account number in the record.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 9, 2013 at 5:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Still, I'm starting to think that I'm just going to have to take the leap and spend a few days flying AC in order to add YYR, YQX, and YYT to my list of flown airports.
Take it from a Texan living in Newfoundland; you aren't missing much this time of year. Be careful about flying into YYT at the wrong time of year. You may not get out for days.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AceAirspeed
I was on UA69 ARN-EWR on Dec 8th. I was fully expecting a fuel stop as the flight plan time was showing 9:20 when I checked FlightAware. Was surprised that no one mentioned the possibility at check in or when boarding - although I still expected a last minute diversion based on the headwinds and projected flight time. But it didn't happen. Guess I got lucky as it looks like day before and day after diverted.

The flight was not that full - probably about 1/2 full in Economy as far as I could tell, so maybe they were able to load more fuel??
What most people here don't realize is the vast majority of diversions on the B752 are not done solely because of strong headwinds but rather a function of the forecast weather at the destination being below a threshold requiring an alternate airport.

Take your 9:20 flight time for example; the B752 can handle that. It is on the upper end endurance-wise but definitely doable without stopping. However, if the weather at EWR requires an alternate....you're screwed and stopping for gas somewhere. If it is known that an alternate is required before takeoff, you are notified by the crew before leaving. If the weather deteriorates mid flight, then you're forced to stop en route somewhere.

Simply put, the required fuel over destination (planned landing fuel) has to be artificially increased when an alternate airport is required. For example, let's say on a normal, good weather day we plan to land in EWR with 9.5 (9500 lbs of fuel). Unfortunately, the forecasted ceiling is below 2,000' or visibility less than 3SM, so we need an alternate...let's say ALB. The flight from EWR to ALB takes 2.0 (2000 lbs of fuel). Our new minimum fuel requirement at destination is now 9.5+2.0=11.5 (11,500 lbs of fuel), roughly a 20% increase.

Strong headwinds obviously are the fundamental cause for this to be an issue because of the increased flight times. However, if you actually investigate things further, the forecasted ceiling at the destination is usually the technical reason for the vast number of diversions.

For those that care , hope this helps!

Last edited by clubord; Dec 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
And to put in perspective, the 752 is hardly the only aircraft that is operated on routes that challenge the a/c's range.
I think a 767 stretched its way to Gimli in 1983, and A330 to the Azores in 2001

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.