FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Mx leads to outbound itinerary cancellation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1528311-mx-leads-outbound-itinerary-cancellation.html)

vkng Dec 6, 2013 12:02 pm

Mx leads to outbound itinerary cancellation

Earlier today my wife was at the airport to check in for UAx5175 but the kiosk said that there was no itinerary on record for her today. It turns out that the IAH-ATL-IAH legs the aircraft was to fly went Mx, but instead of attempting to rebook her or get in touch with her the entire outbound leg of her itinerary was cancelled, including the onward connection from IAH.

She was rebooked onto Delta to IAH, and her connecting seat in BF was still available so it all worked out in the end. But why would United cancel her out completely? The TA had issues pulling up her PNR for today as well at first. She was booked on an award in Y to IAH with a BF int'l connection. I did see that others at the kiosks were offered reroutes automatically, so what singled her out?

blueman2 Dec 6, 2013 12:31 pm

Not sure, but this happened to my wife and I on award GF tickets SFO-LHR. Outbound was cancelled due to MX, and they cancelled return as well. They made no attempt to rebook. I had to hussle and find replacement flights on my own, then call UA 1K to have them rebook me.

Maybe UA just cancels award travel if there are any flight cancellations and makes to attempt to reschedule. Not sure.

vkng Dec 6, 2013 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 21916278)
Not sure, but this happened to my wife and I on award GF tickets SFO-LHR. Outbound was cancelled due to MX, and they cancelled return as well. They made no attempt to rebook. I had to hussle and find replacement flights on my own, then call UA 1K to have them rebook me.

Maybe UA just cancels award travel if there are any flight cancellations and makes to attempt to reschedule. Not sure.

The return half of the itinerary was still intact, it was only the outbound. Even when the TA pulled up the PNR she only saw the return, she had to dig to find the cancelled segments.

JPG3392 Dec 6, 2013 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by vkng (Post 21916060)
Earlier today my wife was at the airport to check in for UAx5175 but the kiosk said that there was no itinerary on record for her today. It turns out that the IAH-ATL-IAH legs the aircraft was to fly went Mx, but instead of attempting to rebook her or get in touch with her the entire outbound leg of her itinerary was cancelled, including the onward connection from IAH.

She was rebooked onto Delta to IAH, and her connecting seat in BF was still available so it all worked out in the end. But why would United cancel her out completely? The TA had issues pulling up her PNR for today as well at first. She was booked on an award in Y to IAH with a BF int'l connection. I did see that others at the kiosks were offered reroutes automatically, so what singled her out?

The Delta flight may be eligible for mileage credit (on DL), if that's of any use to your wife.

Baze Dec 6, 2013 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by JPG3392 (Post 21917196)
The Delta flight may be eligible for mileage credit (on DL), if that's of any use to your wife.

Can also ask for Original Routing Credit on MileagePlus.

vkng Dec 6, 2013 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by JPG3392 (Post 21917196)

She was booked into Y so I plan on submitting it to Delta.

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 21917322)

This was an award ticket, otherwise I would do so. Thanks for the reminder, though.

IAHtraveler Dec 6, 2013 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 21917322)

For reference of others: Make sure to get a DL (or other carrier's) BP before you add your FF #. You will need the BP minus any FF info to give to UA. I've been told twice, unfortunately, that you can't "double dip": Since my FF# was on the DL/AA BP, UA won't give credit. The simple solution is to print your new BP without FF#, then add it & reprint.

mduell Dec 6, 2013 3:48 pm

UACO is very aggressive about cancelling all downline segments if you miss any segment. Including misses due to cancellations if the agent doesn't change them in the right way or soon enough.

Often1 Dec 6, 2013 6:11 pm

This simply sounds as though UA had not yet provided an auto-rebook but did a rebook when approached by OP's wife.

Given the # of IRROPd pax floating around the country today, it's entirely possible that when the flight was cancelled, UA just hadn't got around to the rebook yet.

This isn't the situation where subsequent legs were cancelled, it's simply that the initial segment was cancelled in that there were no flights booked, but the ticket value was still there.

In massive IRROPS, there's only so much to be done.

wanymayold Dec 6, 2013 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 21917445)
For reference of others: Make sure to get a DL (or other carrier's) BP before you add your FF #. You will need the BP minus any FF info to give to UA. I've been told twice, unfortunately, that you can't "double dip": Since my FF# was on the DL/AA BP, UA won't give credit. The simple solution is to print your new BP without FF#, then add it & reprint.

Arrrgggghhhh, wish I know this before... Still trying to get some ORC for two recent rebooked flight.

Acornragazzo Dec 8, 2013 1:15 am

The few times I've needed to ask for ORC I never had to show a BP. I wrote to MSPC stating what happened. I was on flight so and so on this date and it was canceled and I was rebooked on this other flight and would like ORC. I've never had an issue.