FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Mystery Bonus PQMs? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1526823-mystery-bonus-pqms.html)

CTcowboy Dec 2, 2013 1:09 pm

Mystery Bonus PQMs?

Like many of you I keep track of my PQM's on a separate spreadsheet so I can project my miles for the year. However, lately I've been seeing some discrepancy between what my sheet says and what the united site says (in my favor). Over the last few months, it looks like a "bonus" 98 PQM's have crept into my account on three separate occasions. I've gone back and double checked my numbers with the account activity section of my Mileage Plus account and it all matches up, except for these extra miles that aren't posted anywhere.

Has anyone run into this scenario before? Since it's in my favor, I don't plan to call united to get to the bottom of things, but was interested if anyone in a similar situation had figured out what might be going on.

PV_Premier Dec 2, 2013 1:24 pm

COdbaUA has repeatedly miscalculated PQM then clawed them back at the end of the year, including up to 6 months after they were mistakenly "earned". As such it is almost a requirement to self-track the PQM, particularly for those who cut it close, or "fear the reaper".

OP I recommend you choose the most conservative of the two estimates as your basis for earning. I'd never cut it closer than +500 miles over a threshold particularly an important one like 1K.

PV_Premier Dec 2, 2013 1:43 pm

the things you have to really watch out for are IRROPs "full Y" rebookings on discounted coach tickets, particularly if you have one or two of these on transcons. they can jump up and bite you fast when MP decides to go on an accounting binge. 5000 PQM in your account can go poof really quickly.

fjfv19 Dec 2, 2013 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 21889362)
the things you have to really watch out for are IRROPs "full Y" rebookings on discounted coach tickets, particularly if you have one or two of these on transcons. they can jump up and bite you fast when MP decides to go on an accounting binge. 5000 PQM in your account can go poof really quickly.

Yes, this. This is certainly a perfect example of why it is best to log the PQMs on a separate spreadsheet as you know they should be calculated and assume any such error will be fixed.

Not going to stop me from asking for the full Y rebook to improve upgrade chances, however. :-:

JNelson113 Dec 2, 2013 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 21889202)

COdbaUA has repeatedly miscalculated PQM then clawed them back at the end of the year, including up to 6 months after they were mistakenly "earned". As such it is almost a requirement to self-track the PQM, particularly for those who cut it close, or "fear the reaper".

OP I recommend you choose the most conservative of the two estimates as your basis for earning. I'd never cut it closer than +500 miles over a threshold particularly an important one like 1K.

Yes, BEWARE. This clawback happened to me earlier this year. I agree with the advice given here.