Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Domestic Lie-Flat Seat Routes (other than p.s.)?

United Domestic Lie-Flat Seat Routes (other than p.s.)?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 16, 22, 7:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
All 752, 76x, 77x, 78x aircraft have lieflat seats, no other UA aircraft does

https://www.unitedcargo.com/ provides route info by aircraft type, such as Widebody Schedule Dec 2018 for regularly scheduled flights.
Print Wikipost

Old May 15, 18, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LRMErnst View Post
Aside from the PS routes, what other domestic routes are flying lie flats?

IAH-LAX has the 787
IAD-SFO has the 752
DEN-SFO has the 772

Any others off the top of your head?
As MCO is a line maintenance facility for 757's, I see EWR-MCO pop up on a 757 quite frequently... especially later flights in the day, so it can remain overnight in MCO for maintenance. If you time the Disney Express when it's loaded with kidlets, easy enough to score an upgrade as a 1K.... easy enough that my son hasn't suffered the indignity of E+ on a Mickey run in a few years. (He's 11 - and is better behaved in the F cabin than many folks that are multiples of his age ...)
Old Dec 5, 18, 1:20 am

to bring this thread back...
I think it's a known thing that the afternoon EWR-SEA and SEA-EWR red-eye is a 752 trip during the winter schedule. However this year I noticed that the morning EWR-SEA and the afternoon SEA-EWR frequency is also a 752 trip-is that one new or have I just not noticed it?
Old Dec 6, 18, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I was on a LAX-BOS 752 redeye recently. The lie flat is nice, but definitely nothing beyond standard domestic first should be expected. Not even small (economy) pillows were offered on the red eye.
Old Jan 1, 19, 10:28 am

Finding Polaris seats on short domestic flights?

I see that sometimes United uses planes with the Polaris hard product for short flights between EWR and ORD or between various other hubs. I would guess these are repositioning flights?

Like today, UA977 was operated with N792UA which is retrofitted with the Polaris hard product.

Any tricks to finding these flights without having to manually search and look at seat maps? Maybe a master list of all the planes with Polaris seats?

I UA Gold and would like to book an economy seat on one of these flights with the chance of an upgrade.

Thanks to anyone who responds! Please point me in the right direction if this has been discussed elsewhere. Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAEWR View Post
I see that sometimes United uses planes with the Polaris hard product for short flights between EWR and ORD or between various other hubs. I would guess these are repositioning flights?

Like today, UA977 was operated with N792UA which is retrofitted with the Polaris hard product.

Any tricks to finding these flights without having to manually search and look at seat maps? Maybe a master list of all the planes with Polaris seats?

I UA Gold and would like to book an economy seat on one of these flights with the chance of an upgrade.

Thanks to anyone who responds! Please point me in the right direction if this has been discussed elsewhere. Happy New Year!
977 is a regularly scheduled flight. They've had that flight for at least a year using the inbound GRU-EWR every day. There's also a 772 that goes ORD-EWR in the afternoon daily. Times vary based on the season. Easiest way is to go to the UA cargo site, download the WB schedule (usually posted beginning of each month) and find a domestic route. No guarantee of these being a/c being equipped with the new polaris seats. Actual seat map isn't released until about T-72, and even then subject to change. Also note that gold wont guarantee a CPU, as these are usually hub-hub with many high status FF's. Not uncommon to see 75+ on the CPU list, with only 5-10 getting the CPU. I'd say gold would be lucky to get that CPU on an average day.
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:27 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rolltribe View Post
977 is a regularly scheduled flight. They've had that flight for at least a year using the inbound GRU-EWR every day. There's also a 772 that goes ORD-EWR in the afternoon daily. Times vary based on the season. Easiest way is to go to the UA cargo site, download the WB schedule (usually posted beginning of each month) and find a domestic route. No guarantee of these being a/c being equipped with the new polaris seats. Actual seat map isn't released until about T-72, and even then subject to change. Also note that gold wont guarantee a CPU, as these are usually hub-hub with many high status FF's. Not uncommon to see 75+ on the CPU list, with only 5-10 getting the CPU. I'd say gold would be lucky to get that CPU on an average day.
And if you choose a Polaris plane but don't get the CPU, you're in a 3-4-3 Y config. E+ on just about any other mainline flight would be better, and you've got plenty of other choices.
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

no real way to search, as UA doesnt sell Polaris domestically. Sometimes, they send long-haul aircraft on domestic routes, but its still marketed as F. Even then, if you are looking for the new biz seats - aircraft are still in conversion, and so you luck out with what you get, which wont be known until close to departure time. Sometimes, a swap happens even day of, so theres no real way to tell, even when the seatmap shows it at booking.

Anything on a 77W only has the new seats. Everything other wisebody (IIRC) is really a gamble at this point, at best. PMCO 777, and 787s all have lie-flat, but none with the new hard product. All 752 also have lie-flat, but again, its the CO product thats been flying for years.

Also note when these birds are running, note they are there for a reason - while attempting to upgrade one of these flights, note they are put there at peak times because the capacity is needed, and lots of people jump at the opportunity to book these flights, either paying for F or hoping for an upgrade. So they may have more F seats than domestic aircraft, but dont mistake that to assume youll have a better chance of an upgrade. They are out there for positioning, yes, but also often because they need the capacity for those that need hub-hub connections. So you may find, for example, they are connecting with a lot of international flights, and there are likely more folks traveling on premium international fares who will already be booked in these seats.

You dont mention a specific route you are looking for. Id say if you are looking to book a flight specifically to upgrade with a CPU, then you are likely going to be disappointed. If youre ok with that, then thats fine. Id say for me personally, if I was flying and noticed one of these on a reasonable route I might take to get where Im going anywag. or on my own and know I could go a bit out of my way, and it wasnt too much higher a fare, then Id go for it. If I was doing an end of year MR, and it made sense to try, then again, I would. But I would never book something like this for fun, expecting an upgrade -especially a CPU. If you want to try the seat, then either book directly into F when you see what you want, or with a paid upgrade with PZ space at booking. Otherwise, youre just bound to be disappointed.
Old Jan 1, 19, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.....Any tricks to finding these flights without having to manually search and look at seat maps? Maybe a master list of all the planes with Polaris seats?
All 752, 76x, 77x, 78x aircraft have lieflat seats, no other UA aircraft does

https://www.unitedcargo.com/ provides route info by aircraft type, such as Widebody Schedule Dec 2018 for regularly scheduled flights. There will be reposition and irrops recovery flights that are not predictable.
Old Jan 1, 19, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post

Also note when these birds are running, note they are there for a reason - while attempting to upgrade one of these flights, note they are put there at peak times because the capacity is needed, and lots of people jump at the opportunity to book these flights, either paying for F or hoping for an upgrade. So they may have more F seats than domestic aircraft, but dont mistake that to assume youll have a better chance of an upgrade. They are out there for positioning, yes, but also often because they need the capacity for those that need hub-hub connections. So you may find, for example, they are connecting with a lot of international flights, and there are likely more folks traveling on premium international fares who will already be booked in these seats.
Thanks for the reply! Today UA977 departed with about 8 Polaris seats open but sounds like its just luck. I would ideally be looking to book one of these flights as a part of an itinerary between LAX/SFO and NYC.

I'll keep all of this in mind. Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Thanks for the reply! Today UA977 departed with about 8 Polaris seats open but sounds like its just luck. I would ideally be looking to book one of these flights as a part of an itinerary between LAX/SFO and NYC.

FYI - EWR-LAX/SFO and BOS-SFO are all PS routes. CPU's are not given on PS routes and these planes will 99% of the time not have the new Polaris seats. The 772 flights will most likely be the dreaded 77G. The other flights will be 2 different versions of the 752.
Old Jan 1, 19, 3:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver
I have twice flown 757-200 with Lie Flat seats in and out of TPA (Tampa) recently. The most recent for me was UA543 EWR-TPA at 09:45AM on Dec 14th. I had the same plane the other way, TPA-EWR, at the end of November.
Old Jan 1, 19, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

actually looks like 11 empty on Jan. 1. But a holiday shouldnt be thought of as representative sample for load purposes. These days often have higher loads for personal travel, and lower business travel loads. Sometimes they adjust capacity. But if youre looking for a CPU, probably about the best luck youll have (or Sat. Morning). These are the flights which are most likely to overbook economy, and have blocked business seats, which are used to upgrade folks and leave the additional economy seats for those who need them.

looking for Jan 2, almost 12 hours to flight time, and 977 shows 47/50 F seats booked, with 50+ on the upgrade list.
Old Jan 3, 19, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Was surprised to see a 777 with lie-flat F flying SFO-OGG last week. Maybe it was just seasonal, as I don't recall seeing that option last summer (and was on the exact same return flight). Would have been a great use of an RPU.
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Nat'l Exec Elite
1x IAD-SAN RT seems to be lie-flat 757 for the foreseeable future.
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:10 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
1x IAD-SAN RT seems to be lie-flat 757 for the foreseeable future.
Well that's super interesting! Might switch to that flight from IAD-LAX 737 I'm currently on.

Search this Thread