Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Standard Award BizFirst International Booking into Domestic Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC

Can't find an existing thread - sorry if just a bad search on my part.

I was just looking at some trip options and was looking at a standard award (not saver) in Business NA-Europe. On the trip display it showed a number of options with Mixed Cabin where the domestic leg was showing booking into Economy even though the international leg was booking into BusinessFirst. There was First class space on the domestic legs but the display was claiming not available. In my previous experience international business always booked to domestic first and on a standard award that space isn't constrained availability. If you try the same booking as a revenue ticket it books correctly to domestic first and international business. Anybody know what is going on here? What fare class could it possibly be looking for on the domestic legs?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
This commonly happens, and has for awhile. Frequently the most desirable connections will not allow booking into domestic F. I am looking at a similar scheduling right now, and the only way to get domestic F is either a pretty tight connection, or add an additional stop.

Doesn't happen all the time, but frequently.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
But this is a standard award - should have last seat availability for an elite. In fact, since the relevant international leg is on a 2 class plane you can't even force the promised last seat availability in domestic first for more miles somehow. This would seem to be either a error or an unannounced reduction in benefit.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pdx1M
... On the trip display it showed a number of options with Mixed Cabin where the domestic leg was showing booking into Economy even though the international leg was booking into BusinessFirst. There was First class space on the domestic legs but the display was claiming not available. ....
I have seen this happen even for saver space -- IN available on the domestic leg but not booking in IN when the TATL does. A follow call got the domestic leg added.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
pdx1M, I feel your pain. Have been looking at SFO-IAH-EZE for February, BizFirst Standard.

Even though all of the connections show 100% identical availability (not only fare buckets, but #'s too), only the 47-minute connection doesn't show as 'Mixed Cabin'. This happens to be a 767-300.

I'm wondering, based on the message "Easy First/BusinessFirst sold out", whether the software doesn't understand that the front for a narrow-body is equivalent for booking purposes to the reconfigured 763.

Sounds like a phone call is in order -- great way to reduce costs!

For my trip, AA here I come (happen to have a bundle of miles which go back to TWA).

Last edited by garkster; Nov 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm Reason: fixed typos
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have seen this happen even for saver space -- IN available on the domestic leg but not booking in IN when the TATL does. A follow call got the domestic leg added.
Timely thread as I am bumping into this. Same sold out message as noted above where the domestic leg (IAD-ORD) will not book to biz first. Did you book the award and then call to get this fixed, or call to book?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Timely thread as I am bumping into this. Same sold out message as noted above where the domestic leg (IAD-ORD) will not book to biz first. Did you book the award and then call to get this fixed, ....
booked and then called
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: UA-Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
booked and then called
+1 Seems to work and also can help get a more desirable connecting flight to/from the domestic point of origin.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Booking a domestic leg in I (first class) as part of a TATL saver business award recently caused the award level to go from 100K to 117.5K. After much discussion with a couple of res agents who could not understand the problem, I had them change the booking class in the domestic segment from I to IN and it fixed the problem - 100K miles as it should be.

So there is a difference between I and IN booking class, but more likely a problem with the UA booking system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.