Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Basic services and food offerings are pretty much the same at all the SFO UCs
Last call is 30 minutes before club closing.

Terminal 3 / Rotunda Pros and Cons
  • Better runway views.
  • Quiet room and work cubicles.
  • Closer to most gates. (F concourse)
  • Could use a furniture renovation
  • Can be the most crowded at peak times

International Terminal (between G6 and G9) Pros and Cons
  • Previous IFL (note showers have been removed)
  • Closest for most international departures/G gates (if not eligible for SFO Polaris Lounge)
  • No windows, no views
  • Dated (wood panel) ambiance
  • Crowded at peak TPAC times in late morning, mid-day
  • No full bar; only basic wine and beer offered
  • Elevator / stairs for access

New Concourse E Pros and Cons
  • Closest to the E gates
  • crowded at peak times, early morning, late afternoon
  • least ambiance
  • (as of Oct. 2023), E conc. Club opens 45 mins. later than F Rotunda Club (5:45 a.m. for E vs. 5:00 for F).

"Temporary" Mezzanine UC Pros and Cons (never reopened after COVID closure)
  • Across from 70/71 gates, a little hard to find
  • Generally the least crowded
  • No windows, lacks much ambiance - some neat historical aircraft/airport photos
  • Elevator for access

related threads
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge

Centurion lounge or UA lounge in SFO?

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014]

Archive thread: Best SFO United Club? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Status of SFO United Clubs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by greg99
I'm seriously curious, not debating. What would you serve if you were manager of the club that wasn't carbo bombing,given budget and guest count constraints?
Well obviously "budget constraints" are the big problem.

Just visit the CX lounge in A or SkyClub in T1 to see what can be done when management is not hopelessly cheap.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well obviously "budget constraints" are the big problem.

Just visit the CX lounge in A or SkyClub in T1 to see what can be done when management is not hopelessly cheap.
I've never been to the CX lounge, nor have I been to the SkyClub for breakfast, so I don't know what they do. Obviously the Polaris lounge tells you what they *can* do, but the reality is that they won't. I'd personally like them to have a prosciutto slicer like the LH F lounges, but of course, that's not happening.

My question to thebakaronis was a real question as to what he would real-world want them to do. To expect a club that charges as little as $495/year to offer $25+ level breakfasts just ain't happening.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've never been to the CX lounge, nor have I been to the SkyClub for breakfast, so I don't know what they do. Obviously the Polaris lounge tells you what they *can* do, but the reality is that they won't. I'd personally like them to have a prosciutto slicer like the LH F lounges, but of course, that's not happening.

My question to thebakaronis was a real question as to what he would real-world want them to do. To expect a club that charges as little as $495/year to offer $25+ level breakfasts just ain't happening.
It's not just breakfast, it's all the time. The food at SFO UCs is absolutely pathetic. We know it can be better, because other lounges in the same airport manage to do much better.
cuthroat and thebakaronis like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:53 pm

It's not just breakfast, it's all the time. The food at SFO UCs is absolutely pathetic. We know it can be better, because other lounges in the same airport manage to do much better.
But that's not really a relevant comparison. Of course any lounge *could* be better, but comparing it to CX is pointless, just like any other service component comparison between CX and UA.

What I don't understand, and for which I don't think there's any excuse is why the food at the LAX UC is so much better than the SFO UC (including the new one).
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I agree. In general US-based airline lounges are lousy when it comes to food. The UA club in NRT is worse than the ANA equivalent, for example. Some lounges around the world in Asia, the Middle-east and India have fabulous facilities, including great food. And, yes, SFO is particularly bad. They might as well NOT serve any food than serve the horrible food they do.

To the other poster's question, here are some easy, cheap, healthier alternatives they could serve:

- boiled eggs
- unsweetened yogurt (cheaper than the unhealthy sweetened variety they have)
- non-canned fruits: healthier and plentifully available in California
- nuts
- raw veggies: yes, it is a good to eat veggies even for breakfast
- sausage or bacon for those who want meat

I'm not suggesting they don't cater to those who want SAD (standard american diet) food. But serving only foods loaded with unhealthy, obesity-inducing carbs is irresponsible to be honest, especially when healthier alternatives are no more expensive. It's not just about budget or convenience. You can eat a lot healthier on the same budget and without needing an elaborate kitchen. It's the attitude that permeates UA in general. Look at the food they serve on their long-haul flights. Just as unhealthy and bad for you.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by thebakaronis

- boiled eggs
- unsweetened yogurt (cheaper than the unhealthy sweetened variety they have)
- non-canned fruits: healthier and plentifully available in California
- nuts
- raw veggies: yes, it is a good to eat veggies even for breakfast
- sausage or bacon for those who want meat
I agree with some of these, e.g., boiled eggs (didn't they have them at one time?), unsweetened yogurt (as an additional choice), non-canned fruit (although it's likely to only be apples, bananas, etc.). Because people won't behave, they're not going to put nuts out. Greedy people will dump the bowl into a Ziploc bag. Vegetables for breakfast, I think that's outside the norm in the US. I can't imagine them cooking sausage or bacon in the clubs as currently configured.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:45 pm

But that's not really a relevant comparison.
I fail to see why that's not relevant. It's an outstation for CX and DL, and arguably UA's premier hub. UA should have the best lounge of all. (And ironically, even their SFO Polaris lounge is subpar in the food department as well.) The reason is that UA just doesn't care about offering a decent product . . . in their view, the SFO hub captives will fly them regardless.
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
The UA club in NRT is worse than the ANA equivalent,
I don't agree with that either IMO the NH NRT lounges are seriously overrated, especially the one in the 40s. I prefer the UC. Wish they had the NRT sushi at SFO.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:12 pm

I fail to see why that's not relevant. It's an outstation for CX and DL, and arguably UA's premier hub. UA should have the best lounge of all. (And ironically, even their SFO Polaris lounge is subpar in the food department as well.) The reason is that UA just doesn't care about offering a decent product . . . in their view, the SFO hub captives will fly them regardless.
I don't agree with that either IMO the NH NRT lounges are seriously overrated, especially the one in the 40s. I prefer the UC. Wish they had the NRT sushi at SFO.
Comparing the CX lounge, which is a long-haul business class lounge, with UA's domestic/Y paid lounge product is not comparing apples to apples. I will grant that DL Sky Clubs are better than the UA Club generally. But that's not unique to SFO.

If we're looking at just apples by comparing *business* class lounges, other than maybe CX in HKG (where service standards across the board in all businesses surpass those in SF), I can't come up with a *business* class lounge that is better than the Polaris lounges, and I've been in all the *A hub lounges. I've only used the SFO and IAH lounges, so I can't speak to the other Polaris lounges, but I'd take either of those over any other business class lounge.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...locations.html says the international UC has a "full-service bar".

I've mostly avoided the UC because of its lack of a bar. Has this changed, or is the website wrong?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: UAMP
As far as I know, the clubs in T3 and International terminal have always had full service bars.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...locations.html says the international UC has a "full-service bar".

I've mostly avoided the UC because of its lack of a bar. Has this changed, or is the website wrong?
I don't recall a bar in that space (but could be wrong). It's very small. Last time I was in there it was unbearably crowded. People were literally sitting in eachothers' laps.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by greytop13
As far as I know, the clubs in T3 and International terminal have always had full service bars.
If we’re talking about the one that used to be the Global First lounge, the last time I was in there (maybe 2 years ago), there was a self-service bar but nothing full service.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Right, there was no bar when it was the GFL, just self-service stuff.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Was at SFO lounge next gate F11at 10am on 7/28. Was pretty busy with seats removed for distancing but not the handful of people are talking about in this thread (at least a few dozen). Bar was open. Food consisted of pre packaged muffins, fruit cup, and yogurt. I only found the espresso machine. Wasn’t clear to me where drip coffee was located - maybe the bar?
Old Aug 10, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
This was at the Rotunda club in SFO, the only one currently opening. I was told the food and beverage service has been shut down by the county.

This paper bag (almonds, cookies, apple, water) was the only catering available, and it had to be consumed OUTSIDE the lounge. Not even any drinks inside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.