Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Basic services and food offerings are pretty much the same at all the SFO UCs
Last call is 30 minutes before club closing.

Terminal 3 / Rotunda Pros and Cons
  • Better runway views.
  • Quiet room and work cubicles.
  • Closer to most gates. (F concourse)
  • Could use a furniture renovation
  • Can be the most crowded at peak times

International Terminal (between G6 and G9) Pros and Cons
  • Previous IFL (note showers have been removed)
  • Closest for most international departures/G gates (if not eligible for SFO Polaris Lounge)
  • No windows, no views
  • Dated (wood panel) ambiance
  • Crowded at peak TPAC times in late morning, mid-day
  • No full bar; only basic wine and beer offered
  • Elevator / stairs for access

New Concourse E Pros and Cons
  • Closest to the E gates
  • crowded at peak times, early morning, late afternoon
  • least ambiance
  • (as of Oct. 2023), E conc. Club opens 45 mins. later than F Rotunda Club (5:45 a.m. for E vs. 5:00 for F).

"Temporary" Mezzanine UC Pros and Cons (never reopened after COVID closure)
  • Across from 70/71 gates, a little hard to find
  • Generally the least crowded
  • No windows, lacks much ambiance - some neat historical aircraft/airport photos
  • Elevator for access

related threads
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge

Centurion lounge or UA lounge in SFO?

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014]

Archive thread: Best SFO United Club? {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Status of SFO United Clubs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ac3000
Will have a 2 hour layover in SFO (onto IAD and then YOW)
Travelling in United Business from US to Canada.

Which SFO lounge would you recommend for the layover?

Note: I don’t have any other status or membership.

thx!
Try all four UCs if you can find them. The one near gate 70 is my favorite.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by skylane
United Club in the international terminal (non Polaris) is slightly better.
Depends on time of day, this lounge gets very crowded during international departure banks.

IMO the rotunda club is generally the best bet. But that can be a long walk if you're departing from International (G terminal).
findark likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
If you are flying SFO-IAD, I don't believe you will have access to any lounge.

If you are flying SFO to a Canadian airport non-stop, you could easily be departing from a domestic gate, and the domestic UCs will be closer.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ac3000
Note: I don’t have any other status or membership.
Sorry, missed that the first time. You won't have lounge access.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If IAD-YOW is UA metal in a premium cabin, OP should have access to the UC (not Polaris) in SFO.

I second the rotunda club as best overall, although least crowded is a good metric
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by findark
If IAD-YOW is UA metal in a premium cabin, OP should have access to the UC (not Polaris) in SFO.

I second the rotunda club as best overall, although least crowded is a good metric
Why would OP have access to UC? US-Canada in any cabin does not afford UC access. OP has no status.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Rotunda. Worst is the former G98 GFL (it wasn’t designed for high volume).
canadiancow and nomad420 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by CIT85
Why would OP have access to UC? US-Canada in any cabin does not afford UC access. OP has no status.
Wait... when did Canada switch to United First for front cabin marketing? You are indeed correct, but I swear this must be a recent change...

ed. went back and looked at my receipts - I haven't flown through Canada since fall of 2017 but it was Business-marketed then. I think I missed a shadow change in lounge rules.

Last edited by findark; Jul 15, 2019 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait... when did Canada switch to United First for front cabin marketing? You are indeed correct, but I swear this must be a recent change...

ed. went back and looked at my receipts - I haven't flown through Canada since fall of 2017 but it was Business-marketed then. I think I missed a shadow change in lounge rules.

I'm not sure, but I first noticed it late last year (2018).

Actually it's not clear to me whether access is allowed or not for connecting premium cabin US-CA flights. The language is confusing and not fully consistent.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html

It says,
All eligible premium cabin customers must be traveling on an international [1] itinerary or in United Business® on a premium transcontinental flight.

[1] All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador.
but indeed boarding passes for US-CA flights say 'United First' on them, and in the table, the only access types listed are for United Business, United Polaris, or premium cabin on other Star Alliance carriers.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
[1] All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador

And based on that sentence, I was in SFO UC flying SFO-SJD, in Business, in March. I am Silver, but no indication that affected the access. I believe that sentence would allow the entry in a UC at IAD, but not SFO.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
but indeed boarding passes for US-CA flights say 'United First' on them, and in the table, the only access types listed are for United Business, United Polaris, or premium cabin on other Star Alliance carriers.
It could be old language.. hard to tell. I believe Delta did something similar (on purpose) when they harmonized fare classes and rebranded all guaranteed lie-flat domestic service as Delta One - non D1 international routes lost lounge access for premium cabin pax (but this included Mexico and the Caribbean).

The new "United Business" page says

Available on flights between the U.S. and Latin America or the Caribbean. See our premium transcontinental service page to learn about United Business on U.S. transcontinental flights.
..no mention of Canada.

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
And based on that sentence, I was in SFO UC flying SFO-SJD, in Business, in March. I am Silver, but no indication that affected the access. I believe that sentence would allow the entry in a UC at IAD, but not SFO.
If a Canada premium fare permits lounge access at all, OP will be allowed at SFO. SJD is still Business-marketed and permits UC access in J.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It could be old language.. hard to tell. I believe Delta did something similar (on purpose) when they harmonized fare classes and rebranded all guaranteed lie-flat domestic service as Delta One - non D1 international routes lost lounge access for premium cabin pax (but this included Mexico and the Caribbean).

The new "United Business" page says

..no mention of Canada.

If a Canada premium fare permits lounge access at all, OP will be allowed at SFO. SJD is still Business-marketed and permits UC access in J.
It's definitely old language because, as you note, the Business page has not been written to include Canada, but I agree it's hard to tell what the current intention is for lounge access.

I do know (from experience last month) that UA Gold status still gets access on US-CA flights, and from what I see premium cabin basically mirrors UA Gold access (for the passenger only), so on that basis I expect premium cabin US-CA also gets access.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Go to the "rotunda" club and try, worst case they say no. Let us know what happens. To your original question, I like the old school rotunda club the best as well. Nice bar and large comfortable seating area that looks onto the tarmac. Basic UC food, not really and better or worse than others. From what I see you won't be flying out of the international terminal you are heading to IAD first then YOW.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by nomad420
Go to the "rotunda" club and try, worst case they say no. Let us know what happens. To your original question, I like the old school rotunda club the best as well. Nice bar and large comfortable seating area that looks onto the tarmac. Basic UC food, not really and better or worse than others. From what I see you won't be flying out of the international terminal you are heading to IAD first then YOW.
Thanks all.

I confirmed with United that I am entitled to club access in all airports along route as it’s a business class ticket US to Canada

UPDATE: no issues getting access to any of the lounges. Scanned boarding passes and welcomed me.

Last edited by ac3000; Jul 16, 2019 at 10:25 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: UAMP
Flying out of SFO next month on Westjet. I have two UC day passes from my Chase Explorer card that I would like to use before the November policy change. WS has been flying out of Terminal A. I thought we might use the UC in the T3 rotunda because it seems more spacious. However, I don't see an airside path between T-3 and T-A. Do we need to go through TSA twice? We'll have only carryons and have TSA pre-check if that makes a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.