Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy-on-Board Coming for Select South America Destinations / pmUA FA vol. Furloughs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy-on-Board Coming for Select South America Destinations / pmUA FA vol. Furloughs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joshwex90
They're willing to offer us (customers) high-quality options that we value and are willing to pay for? What about the snacks that we "paid" for with multi-thousand dollar tickets?
Hey, Jeffie has to build up the bottom line, so you don't get any pretzels unless you're willing to pay for them!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by jetaway96
Here it goes. Sorry can not copy the whole page.

November 18, 2013
S-UA: Furlough options and Partnership Program
As anticipated in the spring and based on current flying projections, when the current S-UA voluntary furlough ends March 31, 2014, we will continue to have an overage of flight attendants, which has existed since 2008. The overage is larger than last year as a result of reduced block hours, lower demand for discretionary time off without pay and lower attrition. Effective April 1, 2014, Inflight Services needs to reduce its staffing by 1,950 flight attendants. For this reason, the Company is implementing Section 21 of the Flight Attendant Agreement.
While this step is necessary, it is always a difficult one to take and we are aware of the impact this has on all of you. As in the past, consistent with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, our goal is to resolve the staffing overage through voluntary measures. We will use voluntary furlough and partnership options to help avoid the need to impose involuntary furloughs.
If there are insufficient voluntary furlough or partnership flying bids, some or potentially all, flight attendants junior to, and including system classification seniority 11,371 (class date 10/15/1999), would be subject to involuntary furlough. This is based on the 11/12/2013 system seniority list. Here are the details:
Voluntary Furloughs
 The voluntary furlough will be offered in a single duration of 12 months, ending on March 31, 2015.
 While on voluntary furlough, flight attendants accrue seniority and maintain most benefits.
 Voluntary furloughs will be offered and awarded in system seniority order.
 All active and inactive flight attendants can bid for this voluntary furlough; however, flight attendants on medical leave of absence must gain medical clearance with a return to work date prior to the effective date of the voluntary furlough, April 1, 2014. This medical clearance must be received and approved by Company Medical by January 3, 2014 (1700 Central Time).
 To bid, complete the Unimatic VOLUN screen or follow the options in CATS.
 Ifaninsufficientnumberofflightattendantsvolunteer, theninvoluntaryfurloughwillbeimposedusinginversesy stem
seniority order.
 Flight attendants who volunteer, but are junior to the most junior voluntary furlough award, will not be awarded a voluntary furlough and will be placed on involuntary furlough status.
I heard about this several days ago that this was coming down the pike. Coinciding with that $2 billion Powerpoint.....

I would have posted it then, but based upon FT people calling BS and that (because god forbid people actually that are on here do know something about stuff they are privy to ), only to be "criticized" or called....whatever...or demanding photos...etc...

I will say this....and leave it at this....this is only the start....to get to that $2 billion number in that "lovely" powerpoint UA came out with....the devil is in the details.....Good luck to all UA employees in these "turbulent" times they are about to experience...
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:58 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffmoneyman
Some of the cuts were in the several thousands of dollars. They were told it was because of the pilots' contract.
Wow, way to generate internal hostility, UA.

Sounds like they're deliberately trying to divert the anger toward pilots and away from senior management / C-suite decisions which are ruining the company.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:59 am

Sorry to ask but, what does BOB mean?

Melanie
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Melmgmel

Melanie
Buy On Board (i.e. no more free meals).
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:01 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

November 18, 2013
As anticipated in the spring and based on current flying projections, when the current S-UA voluntary furlough ends March 31, 2014, we will continue to have an overage of flight attendants, which has existed since 2008. The overage is larger than last year as a result of reduced block hours, lower demand for discretionary time off without pay and lower attrition. Effective April 1, 2014, Inflight Services needs to reduce its staffing by 1,950 flight attendants. For this reason, the Company is implementing Section 21 of the Flight Attendant Agreement.
While this step is necessary, it is always a difficult one to take and we are aware of the impact this has on all of you. As in the past, consistent with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, our goal is to resolve the staffing overage through voluntary measures. We will use voluntary furlough and partnership options to help avoid the need to impose involuntary furloughs.
If there are insufficient voluntary furlough or partnership flying bids, some or potentially all, flight attendants junior to, and including system classification seniority 11,371 (class date 10/15/1999), would be subject to involuntary furlough. This is based on the 11/12/2013 system seniority list. Here are the details:
Voluntary Furloughs
 The voluntary furlough will be offered in a single duration of 12 months, ending on March 31, 2015.
 While on voluntary furlough, flight attendants accrue seniority and maintain most benefits.
 All active and inactive flight attendants can bid for this voluntary furlough; however, flight attendants on medical leave of absence must gain medical clearance with a return to work date prior to the effective date of the voluntary furlough, April 1, 2014. This medical clearance must be received and approved by Company Medical by January 3, 2014 (1700 Central Time).
Isn't that an annual thing with sUA FAs and something to do with their Union contract?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by edcho
Interesting

Flights to Canada are already BOB? (I don't travel to canada that much ... and only on UAx if I do.)
BOB meaning snack boxes... ORD - YHZ on a RJ145 WEEEEEEEEE....

I REALLY hate this airline. Really considering DL from SEA these days but I just spent the better part of a year working up to domest-1K.. rough going and I will obtain an extra 2 RPUs this year, which I should use fast.

What's a FF to do? I don't think these execs are looking at the airline as a transit network but rather what's profitable on this particular route or flight. You can't do that in transit. The frequencies and destinations have to be there on a whole or people will pass you right over. WN has captured the heart of the LCC market by doing that but UA should be worried about the global picture... and they are not. In SEA everyone knows that directs to Asia are a great comfort to have in the pocket even if you only go there once a year.

Yup, DL is very tempting. Not just the routes but the mainlines, catering, happier FAs, everything but awards which was UA's thing. Without US to rely on domestically, in my eyes, this ship is going down.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I kinda wish that they would just totally do away with economy class dinner on the deep South American flights (Brazil, Argentina, etc). The last I thing I want on a flight departing on 9pm or 10pm (as most of these flights do) is economy class gruel. I'd much rather the cabin lights go off and the level of activity go down so I can try to sleep.

YMMV.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
sUA FAs are biddibg for the volunteer furlough right now. The number needed is close to 2000 FAs. And yes, all flights to central and South America will go BOB with the exception of Brazil and Argentina. All cocktail snack in economy will be removed.

Here it goes. Sorry can not copy the whole page.

November 18, 2013
Voluntary Furloughs
 Ifaninsufficientnumberofflightattendantsvolunteer, theninvoluntaryfurloughwillbeimposedusinginversesy stem
seniority order.
 Flight attendants who volunteer, but are junior to the most junior voluntary furlough award, will not be awarded a voluntary furlough and will be placed on involuntary furlough status.
Looks like they are continuing to shrink the touted "network." Hey Jeff, imagine the profits you'd have if you only flew 1 plane!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:14 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by halls120
One of your co-workers has already verified the furlough information.
Wow, guess I'll have to start putting more faith in anon 1st time posters w/out supporting evidence. Up till now, their reliability has been very sub-par.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by goingbananas
I heard about this several days ago that this was coming down the pike. Coinciding with that $2 billion Powerpoint.....

I would have posted it then, but based upon FT people calling BS and that (because god forbid people actually that are on here do know something about stuff they are privy to ), only to be "criticized" or called....whatever...or demanding photos...etc...

I will say this....and leave it at this....this is only the start....to get to that $2 billion number in that "lovely" powerpoint UA came out with....the devil is in the details.....Good luck to all UA employees in these "turbulent" times they are about to experience...

So do tell, what other changes are coming?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
United remains committed to offering customers high-quality options that they value and are willing to pay for.
Yup, that's the story in a nutshell.

Or, in this case, not.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jeffmoneyman
Supposedly, cuts in salary were imposed at United headquarters today. Folks were notified by e-mail. No joke, but they're even to bring their own cutlery and napkins as they were removed from the cafeteria. Some of the cuts were in the several thousands of dollars. They were told it was because of the pilots' contract. Also pretzels are being removed from economy on all international flights in economy, and central and south american flights, with the exception of brazil and argentina, are moving to buy on board. Up to 2000 subsidiary united flight attendants are being warned of furloughs. Why was this stuff left out of investor day? How is it that Delta can make money, serve free snacks, and have industry-leading pay for pilots whereas united is cutting its way to profitability? What is the board of directors waiting on to can $misek & Co.? Do they not care about the direction this company is going in?
supposedly is wrong. there were no cuts in salary, etc. The email that came out was in regards to merit increases, performance bonuses. Nothing to do with salary cuts. As for the cafeteria, that is correct, but that has already been in place for a few weeks.

also, nothing referencing the pilot contract. However, I think we all know, they made bank.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by goingbananas

So what? They're asking for early out on a voluntary basis.

I don't know, maybe they call this the normal course of running a business.

This site is pathetic
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Melmgmel

Melanie
Bring your own Beer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.