TK Comfort vs. UA

Old Nov 21, 13, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
TK Comfort vs. UA

Need to book BOM-YYZ in the next few days for the holidays. Have looked around, and can get a fare with TK for comfort class for within about $100 of the UA fare.

Thinking this is worth the cost, but wondering if any on here have actually experienced TK Comfort and can contrast to UA (E+). From what I've seen so far, Comfort seems to have more room, wider seat, better recline, better meals compared to their regular coach (and on UA). A layover in IST and the TK lounge is obviously also a plus.

What I'll be missing out over UA would be plat bonus and miles for MM, and I'd probably consider one much longer segment (15-16 hours) vs. two long ones as an advantage, as well as the fact that I know what I'm getting on UA.

Am I missing anything else? Being International (at least for now), PQD isn't relevant. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Need to book BOM-YYZ in the next few days for the holidays. Have looked around, and can get a fare with TK for comfort class for within about $100 of the UA fare.

Thinking this is worth the cost, but wondering if any on here have actually experienced TK Comfort and can contrast to UA (E+). From what I've seen so far, Comfort seems to have more room, wider seat, better recline, better meals compared to their regular coach (and on UA). A layover in IST and the TK lounge is obviously also a plus.

What I'll be missing out over UA would be plat bonus and miles for MM, and I'd probably consider one much longer segment (15-16 hours) vs. two long ones as an advantage, as well as the fact that I know what I'm getting on UA.

Am I missing anything else? Being International (at least for now), PQD isn't relevant. Any thoughts are appreciated.
United new E+

United E+ meal--> this July before the 1B cut.

TK Comfort Class

United offers half nuts in Business Class while TK offers whole nuts in CC.

Plus as a *G, you can use the TK lounge at IST.

Last edited by pigx5; Nov 21, 13 at 11:51 pm
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:12 pm

Programs: CRJ-200 Detester Club Diamond, :rolleyes: Platinum
For a $100 premium, I wouldn't hesitate to book on TK (so long as both the BOMIST and ISTYYZ flights have that cabin). Comfort Class is a fantastic value, which is probably why it's being phased out.

I flew it ISTHKG earlier this year and got a decent night's sleep, and the cabin was fairly empty with the adjacent seat open. The seats somewhat resemble the old barcalounger seats on UA or DL, but pitch isn't quite as generous (but definitely more than Y+ on UA). I found the food to be mediocre, but it was definitely a step (or two) above catering in Y on TK or UA; for airplane food, it exceeded my expectations.

Not needing to clear the US border (or transit EWR) is another plus to consider when taking TK.
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the pics and description.

Comfort is only on IST - YYZ - flight out of BOM is on a 9W weleased aircraft (though I checked - is a TK flight in every sense so earns mileage). US customs in theory isn't an issue with GE.

Sounds like TK may be the way to go.
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
No question about it - book with TK. "Comfort" is a true Premium Economy. E+ is NOT Premium Economy, it's true baseline coach with better legroom.
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Thanks for the pics and description.

Comfort is only on IST - YYZ - flight out of BOM is on a 9W weleased aircraft (though I checked - is a TK flight in every sense so earns mileage). US customs in theory isn't an issue with GE.

Sounds like TK may be the way to go.
I won't have a 2nd thought especially the price is only....$100 higher.
Even TK regular Y offers much better amenities than UA Y/Y+.
Remember order the cherry juice when taking TK.

MM status on UA means nothing as they already show that they can change your benefits anytime they want.

Furthermore, Mileage plus is devaluing next year.

Last edited by pigx5; Nov 21, 13 at 11:59 pm
Old Nov 22, 13, 6:54 am

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, BA Gold
Go for TK Comfort, definitely... Not even in the same league as UA Y+.
Old Nov 22, 13, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
Be sure to double-check that the specific TK fare classes you're booking earn UA mileage (assuming that is important to you). When TK rolled out the Comfort product fare structure there were some glitches re: automatic UA mileage posting.

Also, enjoy the TK Comfort product while it lasts! My understanding from sbm12 (this is not firsthand knowledge) is that they're not expanding deployment of the product and don't plan to keep it.
Old Nov 22, 13, 7:32 am
TPJ
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
+1 for TK. You cannot compare TK with UA - even in normal Coach... TK offers fantastic standards of service and makes money... (Turkish Airlines' 2012 operating profit almost triples: http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-growth-101536) - something maybe UA Execs can consider...
Old Nov 22, 13, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Go for comfort class hands down!
Old Nov 22, 13, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would absolutely book TK Comfort Class for a $100 premium over UA economy. Much more space, better meals, better service, free wifi and many other things which make it nicer. Keep in mind that BOM-IST will likely just be regular Y and only the 777 flight IST-YYZ will be the Premium Economy product.

Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
Also, enjoy the TK Comfort product while it lasts! My understanding from sbm12 (this is not firsthand knowledge) is that they're not expanding deployment of the product and don't plan to keep it.
Yup. It is not long for this world.
Old Nov 22, 13, 7:50 am

The lounge in IST may be the best I've ever been in. You can sleep in a real bed and the food is great. Be sure to check it out when you're there.
Old Nov 22, 13, 8:06 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Go for TK Comfort.

I found the seat to be quite a step up from UA E+; the comparisons to UA's domestic F seats are correct. No foot rest and the pitch and width aren't quite as great, but still head and shoulders above any economy seat.

I also thought the food was excellent - for airline food. I was able to compare it to TK's C class food, and it's almost as good. Loads and loads better than UA's Y catering.

A $100 premium (+lost bonus miles) is well, well worth it. What wouldn't be worth it is taking a longer route (significantly more hours of flying) just to have Comfort instead of, say, a non-stop in regular Y. For instance, I wouldn't fly from North America to IST on my way to western Europe just to be in Comfort. But with BOM-YYZ, stopping in IST is still a pretty direct route, so by all means do it.
Old Nov 22, 13, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by uthornsgo View Post
The lounge in IST may be the best I've ever been in. You can sleep in a real bed and the food is great. Be sure to check it out when you're there.
Couldn't agree more with this statement as well as every post recommending TK over UA. It's a great experience, worth every penny.^
Old Nov 22, 13, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post

I think if they only offer 3 rows CC on each plane, it might be a successful product. The ratio of CC to Y is just too much.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: