MP account investigated

Old Nov 21, 13, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: MP Premier Gold
MP account investigated

Looking for advise here.

I received an email from MP investigation unit. The email says I used ETC certificate without proper authorization. What happened is I got the ETC through a deal (FT connection). It was a deal involving more than two parties, apparently. Exchanged miles for ETC. Looks like the original owner of the certificate (a few months later) is claiming he/she did not give permission to use the certificate. MP wants reimbursement and threatens with closing my MP account.

What should I do? Reimbursing the MP for "bad" ETC and dealing with the person who gave me he ETC is one option. But what if MP investigators continue to investigate? Anybody has been in this situation?

Is exchanging UA miles for ETC certificates strictly against the MP rules? It happens all the time. Would that be a cause to terminate somebody's account?
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:15 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
MP Terms and Conditions, snip from part 5

No mileage, benefits, certificates or awards earned or granted under the Program may be transferred or assigned except as expressly permitted by United in writing or under programs fully authorized and/or sponsored by United.

I don't know if an ETC is transferrable or not, but the miles are not.
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:15 am

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Titanium
This is tough.

I would just reimburse whatever ETC (hope it's not a large amount) and move on. Nor worth the risk to get MP account closed.

Bad luck. It happens.
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by v1rok View Post
Looking for advise here.

I received an email from MP investigation unit. The email says I used ETC certificate without proper authorization. What happened is I got the ETC through a deal (FT connection). It was a deal involving more than two parties, apparently. Exchanged miles for ETC. Looks like the original owner of the certificate (a few months later) is claiming he/she did not give permission to use the certificate. MP wants reimbursement and threatens with closing my MP account.

What should I do? Reimbursing the MP for "bad" ETC and dealing with the person who gave me he ETC is one option. But what if MP investigators continue to investigate? Anybody has been in this situation?

Is exchanging UA miles for ETC certificates strictly against the MP rules? It happens all the time. Would that be a cause to terminate somebody's account?
Pay UA what they want. At least that way, you will seem like you made an honest mistake. If you pay them, it is very unlikely that they will close your account or put you on probation.

Read through these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...y-account.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ew-ticket.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-flagged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...udit-what.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-merged.html
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may...icket-20120506
http://elliott.org/blog/airline-free...ve-complaints/

Good Luck!

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 21, 13 at 1:52 pm
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: MP Premier Gold
What if MP investigator insists on finding out the source of the ETC? Will I be at risk for not providing this info/cooperating with them?
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
What if MP investigator insists on finding out the source of the ETC? Will I be at risk for not providing this info/cooperating with them?
Look, this is just my opinion, and I am not a lawyer, but I think that by paying them, you will end it right there.

If they ask more questions, I would then defer and seek more advice here or through legal representation.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 21, 13 at 11:55 am
Old Nov 21, 13, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Two options:

1. Tell UA to pound sand, have your account zeroed out and closed for certain; or
2. Pay up and run the risk that #1 occurs.

OP violated the t&c of MP plain and simple (at least with respect to the miles) and got caught.
Old Nov 21, 13, 1:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, National EE
I'd say pay up, be honest about the ETC source, plead ignorance of the T&Cs, and apologize profusely.
Old Nov 21, 13, 1:14 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by coutura View Post
I'd say pay up, be honest about the ETC source, plead ignorance of the T&Cs, and apologize profusely.
Yup, caught red handed. Admit to everything, turn states evidence on all parties, beg for the mercy of the court. Or deny everything, protect your co-conspirators, have UA find out on their own (not a difficult thing for them to do) and face the full brunt of UA's terms/conditions.

It's like any conspiracy when caught. Either turn narc and plead out, or let the other side make their case and show no mercy in the sentence.

Remember, everything is traceable and leaves an audit trail so bright any investigator can connect the dots, at least with FF points. Remember, it appears one of the other parties has already been turned (or was scammed) so the case is heavily tilted against you before you even do anything.
Old Nov 21, 13, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
If I'm understanding correctly, you made a trade with a fellow FT member, who possibly didn't have full ownership of the Ecert?

This is why I don't participate in trades; too much risk IMO.
Old Nov 21, 13, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
If I'm understanding correctly, you made a trade with a fellow FT member, who possibly didn't have full ownership of the Ecert?

This is why I don't participate in trades; too much risk IMO.
No, I read it as the 3rd party (original owner) and the other fellow FT member's trade was reneged by the original owner. That's where the story lies. But if it were me, I'd write to the fellow FT member and ask for the entire background of the previous trade.
Old Nov 21, 13, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
No, I read it as the 3rd party (original owner) and the other fellow FT member's trade was reneged by the original owner. That's where the story lies. But if it were me, I'd write to the fellow FT member and ask for the entire background of the previous trade.
Nevertheless, I feel said FT member should have a responsibility to situations such as this. Obviously there is only so much FT can do and is probably limited to closing the FT account.
Old Nov 21, 13, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ETCs are transferable IIRC. Miles are not. Doing trades with people you don't know is a very, very bad idea.
Old Nov 21, 13, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
ETCs are transferable IIRC. Miles are not. Doing trades with people you don't know is a very, very bad idea.
I agree...
Old Nov 21, 13, 2:10 pm

You broke the rules. Pay them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: