Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP account investigated

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM(BIS)
Originally Posted by sbm12
ETCs are transferable IIRC. Miles are not. Doing trades with people you don't know is a very, very bad idea.
Alex: Electronic Travel Certificates may not be transferred, sold or bartered. However, the original recipient of the certificate may use it to arrange travel for another person.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
You broke the rules. Pay them.
+1 There is truly no free lunch!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by fastair
Yup, caught red handed. Admit to everything, turn states evidence on all parties, beg for the mercy of the court. Or deny everything, protect your co-conspirators, have UA find out on their own (not a difficult thing for them to do) and face the full brunt of UA's terms/conditions.

It's like any conspiracy when caught. Either turn narc and plead out, or let the other side make their case and show no mercy in the sentence.
This sounds like a once-through prisoner's dilemma. In this case, it sounds like it's to your advantage to implicate prisoners B & C. If you were playing this game more than once, that wouldn't be optimal, but I think that's your best choice here.

Treat it like a political scandal...admit your mistake, apologize, and promise never to do it again.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 22, 2013 at 4:41 am Reason: inappropriate language removed
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP
I really appreciate all commenters who were trying to be helpful.

However, I didn't appreciate those who replied like this guy:

boss315
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy View Post

[Unduly personalized text edited by Moderator.] I am guessing a lot of these people did something similar (or even much worse). But I won't go further than that...

Let me try to work with what I have first. I am not a conspirator. I just did it out of pure convenience. I was not trying to profit. Far from it.

Even though I have not done this regularly, I booked tickets with my miles and my certificates for family members. Again, out of convenience, but not because I wanted to scam UA or anything... My SO has a different last name. The mailing address could also be different (out of convenience - work/home/relative). How many of you done the award booking for friends and family, huh? Don't have to answer... I am not the bad guy here

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 21, 2013 at 9:55 pm Reason: edited by OP to correct typo; edited by Moderator per FT Rules.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by v1rok
I really appreciate all commenters who were trying to be helpful.

However, I didn't appreciate those who replied like this guy:

boss315
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy View Post

[Conforming moderator edit.] I am guessing a lot of these people did something similar (or even much worse). But I won't go further than that...

Let me try to work with what I have first. I am not a conspirator. I just did it out of pure convenience. I was not trying to profit. Far from it.

Even though I have not done this regularly, I booked tickets with my miles and my certificates for family members. Again, out of convenience, but not because I wanted to scam UA or anything... My SO has a different last name. The mailing address could also be different (out of convenience - work/home/relative). How many of you done the award booking for friends and family, huh? Don't have to answer... I am not the bad guy here
Using your miles for family and friends is ok with most programs, you just can't get anything of monetary value in return.

Unfortunately, you almost certainly broke the rules with your trade, though. To keep your miles, you will likely be forced to pay back the certificate value.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 21, 2013 at 9:56 pm Reason: Conforming edit.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I am not the bad guy here
Yes you are.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP
Would you care to provide an official and explicit statement by UA to back up your following claim? (Again not expecting a response. Just venting...)
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Using your miles for family and friends is ok with most programs
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Whether or not you thought you were doing something against rules, United has been alerted to something in the chain of events that is. I'd just pay what they want and move on. The trading of flyer instruments with people you don't know has some risk. I never do it. This one bit you in the a.

You're not going to get much sympathy.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You're allowed to buy tickets for others, including friends and family members with different last names.

You're just not allowed to buy/sell/trade.

You worked out a trade, and what you traded for was a stolen item. Sorry, you lose on this one. Pay up, move on, live and learn.

I had an ETC stolen recently (used by someone I don't recognize on a market I have no connection to). It's good to see they go after these sorts of things.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Using your miles for family and friends is ok with most programs, you just can't get anything of monetary value in return.
...which is, of course, complete BS. I would never let anyone, even my best friend, book me an award ticket, or use his/her miles to upgrade me on a flight, without giving him or her something in return. Whether it's tickets to a sports game, or dinner out, etc, depends on which friend it is, but you're a real jerk IMO if you take and don't give back.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Would you care to provide an official and explicit statement by UA to back up your following claim? (Again not expecting a response. Just venting...)
How about on the first line of the transfer miles page, which states:

Now you can share your miles with friends and family.
Yes, I know you have to pay UA for this.

But I think the comment you are responding to was meant to say that you can use miles to book an award for family and friends, assuming they are not paying you for it - there is a term disallowing this.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Would you care to provide an official and explicit statement by UA to back up your following claim? (Again not expecting a response. Just venting...) [claim was: "Using your miles for family and friends is ok with most programs"]
That's an easy one. Rule 30 of the Mileage Plus rules says in part:

Awards may, at the request of the member, be issued by MileagePlus in the name of the member or in the name and for the use of any other person.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by STS-134
. . . which is, of course, complete BS. . .
But so are many things in the Western culture. You don't get shocked when asked 'how are you' even though you know that your well-being is the last thing on the other person's mind.

That provision is there to disallow precisely the same kind of transactions OP claimed to have participated in - trades for things of value with people you don't know.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Even though I have not done this regularly, I booked tickets with my miles and my certificates for family members.
That's perfectly acceptable to UA.

Again, out of convenience, but not because I wanted to scam UA or anything...
Again, you are allowed to do so for convenience or any other reason you might have, as long as you don't exchange something of value for the award ticket.

My SO has a different last name. The mailing address could also be different (out of convenience - work/home/relative).
There's not requirement in the UA program that the last name be the same, the mailing address be the same, or that the person be related, so I'm not sure what the above has to do with anything.

How many of you done the award booking for friends and family, huh?
Many of us. The key difference between those situations and yours is that you traded something of value for the award ticket. In your case, it was of direct monetary value, and where the currency was in fact UA ETC money. That's where the problem is.

I am not the bad guy here
Well, to UA, you are. You don't seem to see the difference between just issuing an award for a friend or relative (possibly with a different last name and/or address) and doing so in exchange for something of monetary value.

What's interesting is that as far as you've related so far, they're not even claiming that the problem is the improper use of award mileage, but your unauthorized use of ETC value. That's a separate problem altogether. But, you're going to have a hard problem explaining how you came into possession of and thought you had authorization to use an ETC for a passenger that you don't even know, without explaining the "trade." By not explaining the situation, you would likely be viewed as someone that attempted to mis-appropriate an ETC and should expect to be dealt with accordingly. If you do explain it and they believe you, then that remove malicious intent with respect to the ETC, and UA may be happy just if you repaid the money you used but were not entitled to. But you can't do that without bringing up the separate issue of trading the ETC for an award, and should at least be prepared to deal with the consequences of that.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

30. Awards may, at the request of the member, be issued by MileagePlus in the name of the member or in the name and for the use of any other person. Such awards will be issued only after a member validates their account via use of PIN, password or other security measures that United has in place at the time of the award request.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.