MileagePlus Account Security

Old Nov 21, 13, 8:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,913
MileagePlus Account Security

Hello I am thinking about doing a trade where someone else will have my account number because they are transferring miles from their Chase account into my UA account. My question is that person will just have my UA FF number. Having just that information are they able to access my flight information either via phone or online?
ASUDan130 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 13, 8:51 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Posts: 2,777
Originally Posted by ASUDan130 View Post
Hello I am thinking about doing a trade where someone else will have my account number because they are transferring miles from their Chase account into my UA account. My question is that person will just have my UA FF number. Having just that information are they able to access my flight information either via phone or online?
Not unless that person is trying to "guess" your your 4-digit pass code :-).
lax2010 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 13, 9:23 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore/YYZ
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,328
Originally Posted by lax2010 View Post
Not unless that person is trying to "guess" your your 4-digit pass code :-).
But to be fair, as RNE pointed out in other forums, they could mess with any current itineraries that are within the OLCI window. But who would?
aacharya is offline  
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:05 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG/YYZ
Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,615
Not sure I would personally give out my account number to someone I don't know, but regardless of whether you feel comfortable about this or not, worth knowing that the T&Cs from Ultimate Rewards (I assume that's where the points are coming from) say points can only be transferred to a spouse or household member's account, and that Chase has closed accounts before for improper points transfers. Not sure if they can confiscate any previously transferred points to an external, but is something you might want to think about.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:34 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,913
You can't transfer chase points but you can transfer points into someones UA account.

One more question, if someone lets say has my airline confirmation number then do they have free reign to modify the trip as well>
ASUDan130 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:44 am
  #6  
In memoriam
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
Posts: 589
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Not sure I would personally give out my account number to someone I don't know, but regardless of whether you feel comfortable about this or not, worth knowing that the T&Cs from Ultimate Rewards (I assume that's where the points are coming from) say points can only be transferred to a spouse or household member's account, and that Chase has closed accounts before for improper points transfers. Not sure if they can confiscate any previously transferred points to an external, but is something you might want to think about.
This is the case of another mis-information being spread, without knowing the actual happening. UR is looking for people who transfer UR to UR and NOT the ones transferring to FF programs.

Back to the regular programming....
anishub is offline  
Old Nov 21, 13, 1:02 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,136
Yes, someone with your PNR and last name can pull up your reservation and make changes to it.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 13, 1:06 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Posts: 2,777
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
But to be fair, as RNE pointed out in other forums, they could mess with any current itineraries that are within the OLCI window. But who would?
What other forums? What are you talking about?
lax2010 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 13, 1:27 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Carolina
Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Posts: 881
Originally Posted by ASUDan130 View Post
You can't transfer chase points but you can transfer points into someones UA account.

One more question, if someone lets say has my airline confirmation number then do they have free reign to modify the trip as well>
I don't know about UAs system but on the US Airways System, if you have the person's last name and confirmation number you can CANCEL or CHANGE their flight.

If you Change it, you have to pay the fees, but its doable. I confirmed this with the US Airways Website staff several years ago, as I see it as a security hole. They said, that just the way it works.
drowelf is offline  
Old Nov 21, 13, 8:22 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); AS MVP Gold; DL Plat
Posts: 2,025
play with fire and you'll get burned
boss315 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 13, 9:21 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG/YYZ
Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,615
Originally Posted by anishub View Post
This is the case of another mis-information being spread, without knowing the actual happening. UR is looking for people who transfer UR to UR and NOT the ones transferring to FF programs.

Back to the regular programming....
Ok...you can say that, I suppose. I didn't say I've had personal evidence of accounts being closed, but given there is language, and others have reported it, it is a risk to consider. Remember the days, like two weeks ago, when people brought oversized carry on's because UA just didn't enforce their rules? Well...then they started.

From the FAQ on the Chase site (bolding mine):

Ultimate Rewards point transfer features are designed to allow our cardmembers to take advantage of the rewards they earn. The features are not intended to allow transfers to third parties other than a spouse or domestic partner of the cardmember. Transfers to unauthorized third parties or any other abuse of the Ultimate Rewards program may result in suspension or termination of the ability to participate in the program and forfeiture of points already earned.
A blog post from last year here and here. Threads are in the CC forum, too.

OP will do what they want - I'm just stating a potential risk to think about.

Originally Posted by drowelf View Post
I don't know about UAs system but on the US Airways System, if you have the person's last name and confirmation number you can CANCEL or CHANGE their flight.

If you Change it, you have to pay the fees, but its doable. I confirmed this with the US Airways Website staff several years ago, as I see it as a security hole. They said, that just the way it works.
Fees are paid at time of change. So yes, it can be done, someone can also just cancel and leave the credit in the existing PNR - change fees are due when you re-add flights into the PNR.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Nov 21, 13, 10:09 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K2MM, HH Diamond (LT), Mar Plat, Avis First
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by ASUDan130 View Post
Hello I am thinking about doing a trade where someone else will have my account number because they are transferring miles from their Chase account into my UA account. My question is that person will just have my UA FF number. Having just that information are they able to access my flight information either via phone or online?
I just tested this, and yes, justing knowing either the FF number or PNR or ticket number and the last name, you can access the reservation. I moved the resevation to my FF number, but I was not allow to cancel, modifiy or make changes to the resv. I could only view the resvp.

Previous posters state that you can make modification, but I was unable to.
takeahike66 is offline  
Old Nov 22, 13, 12:17 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 721
Related to MP security

I am not a big fan of a 4 digit security code unless it's used in conjunction with a password. Being able to access an account with a 4 digit code is foolish, esp when our BPs have our FF#s
dcpdxtrans is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread