Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
and as much as its kind of sad to see this vestige of PA get eliminated, the writing was on the wall.
FYI, SEA-NRT was never a vestige of PA as Pan Am never flew SEA-Tokyo; this was actually UA's first Pacific route which it obtained on its own back in 1983, even before the Pan Am Pacific route purchase (1985-6). UA's first TPAC routes back in 1983 were SEA/PDX-NRT followed by SEA-HKG.

BKK however was definitely inherited from Pan Am...
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Originally Posted by Neil35

Elimination of NRT-PEK in 2010. (somebody please correct me if I am wrong on timing)
Elimination of NRT-TPE in October 2012.
Elimination of NRT-HKG in October 2013.
Elimination of SEA-NRT in November 2013.
Elimination of NRT-BKK in March 2014.
SFO-TPE
SFO-CTU
SFO-CDG
ORD-EDI
IAD-MAD
IAH-NRT 2nd frequency
EWR-LHR all wide-body for the summer
IAH-MUC

There are plenty of places where international service is being added, too. Not all good nor all bad.
...and all added flights on the list are from USA.

With the de facto de-hubbing of NRT, intra-Asia flyers will have hard time staying with United. They may be able to get to their other destinations in Asia on *A or JV partner flights, but there are still significant downsides (as I mentioned in NRT-HKG thread):

1. There are no E+ seats.

2. Nothing counts toward MM lifetime status.

3. Can't use GPU on partners' routes.

4. UA has had technical difficulties from time to time selling UA and NH flights on the same ticket -- bad for USA-based MileagePlus members seeking 016 tickets.

5. A greatly inflated intra-Asia award chart now that all flights to those cities must involve *A partners.

Last edited by Neil35; Nov 19, 2013 at 11:04 am
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
UA to eliminate NRT-BKK 747 service(UA837,UA838)

I am shocked to see UA says it is dropping NRT-BKK.
Press release
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/11/19/592...ines-path.html

Bangkok was my ticketing base and my favorite award destination.I flew there 50-100 times mostly on UA metal. So sad to see this.

Yes, there are code-shares, but we cannot use UA miles for upgrades unless you have paid Y/B in advance and it's expensive.

UA recently announced award chart devaluation and I noticed the required miles from Japan to SE Asia will jump from 30,000 miles to 45,000 miles. I had thought it is weird, but now I got the puzzle piece. That was I think because UA is losing its own metal flight between Japan and Bangkok, which is the most popular SE Asia destination from Japan and it has to leave that traffic to other star carriers paying some $$.

I am curious where those passengers whom I saw every time I took the flight will go. I have talked with one of them, who said he was a fish exporter carrying fresh fish from Tsukiji, Tokyo to Japanese restaurants in Bangkok. He said UA was the best because you can redeem award flights easily. At that time 1K and 1P could redeem one roundtrip after only two roundtrips.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Good bye, Bangkok. UA to eliminate NRT-BKK 747 service(UA837,UA838)

The second Tokyo flight is a nice surprise for IAH flyers
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Just heard TG is adding another HND<>BKK flight next year....departing HND mid-morning.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by st530
The second Tokyo flight is a nice surprise for IAH flyers
I know it's a bump-bump-bump and IAH won, Bangkok lost.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Just heard TG is adding another HND<>BKK flight next year....departing HND mid-morning.
I welcome that. Ideal time and carrier.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:26 am

Could UA possibly start codesharing with TG in addition to NH? AFAIK UA doesn't currently sell TG operated codeshare flights.

The UA metal flight was never ideal for me because it departed from NRT in the evening and from BKK very early in the morning - exactly the opposite of what I usually want.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Neil35
Elimination of NRT-PEK in 2010. (somebody please correct me if I am wrong on timing)
Elimination of NRT-TPE in October 2012.
Elimination of NRT-HKG in October 2013.
Elimination of SEA-NRT in January 2014.
Elimination of NRT-BKK in March 2014.
Just keeping track. How many intra-Asia NRT flights will there be by mid 2014? Just NRT-SIN and NRT-ICN?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:29 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Umm, I thought they are downgauging, not eliminating the route.

If you read the article/press release, it says "United also will eliminate Tokyo-Bangkok 747 service", not the route.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha

If you read the article/press release, it says "United also will eliminate Tokyo-Bangkok 747 service", not the route.
Thanks for pointing that out. I am not a native speaker so I tried to check carefully. Press release says,

"United also will eliminate Tokyo-Bangkok 747 service and down-gauge Tokyo-Seoul flights, reallocating those long-haul aircraft to more profitable routes."

Down-gauge for NRT-ICN is clearly stated, but how can we read about NRT-BKK?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:36 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb

A poster in the related thread on the investors' presentation today wrote that UA's BKK employees were notified yesterday that the station would be shutting down.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres

read the presentation

Eliminating or down-gauging
beyond-Tokyo service to
Bangkok, Hong Kong, Taipei and
Seoul
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Is there a date set yet? I have a reservation to BKK for mid-March.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:46 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I hope this is just the usual down gauge to 777 (which UA does every year) on NRT-BKK. But it does sound like they're abandoning BKK altogether--and ANA on NRT-BKK is a long way to go in ANA's knee-crushing Y!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by exerda
I hope this is just the usual down gauge to 777 (which UA does every year) on NRT-BKK. But it does sound like they're abandoning BKK altogether--and ANA on NRT-BKK is a long way to go in ANA's knee-crushing Y!
plus no upgrades the whole way anymore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.