Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Investor Day (Highlights: Route, Gauge Changes; $ Cuts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL's Investor Day (Highlights: Route, Gauge Changes; $ Cuts)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Quote:

Originally Posted by LarkSFO

Greater frequency, plus the best in class ability to SDC at no charge, makes UA more attractive to me as a business traveler.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

This is an under-rated point. Love SDC so much that I forget it's a feature unique to United in its flexibility and ease to change right online. How people deal with AA's $75 fee for Exec Plats baffles me...

You are both ignoring the big picture. How do EXP's deal with the $75? Easy, the few times that I pay $75 is an insignificant price for flying a far better airline. How UA flyers deal with lack of Wifi is what baffles me.

Unlike UA, AA offers a la carte Y pricing where you can avoid $200 change fee for non-refundable fares. Choice Plus fares where for $88 a RT I get unlimited no fee changes, free SDC and 50% bonus miles. And if I didn't already get these as an EXP, kettles get free checked bags and drinks.

Not sure how flexible UA SDC routings are, but my last two AA (intentional for extra miles to requalify for EXP) SDCs were...
DEN-DFW-DTW RT... At T-2 hours, I changed DFW-DEN to DFW-LAX-DEN for free.
DEN-DFW-LGA RT... At T-24 hours, I changed to DEN-LAX-JFK-LAX-DEN for free.
In both cases, my upgrades cleared on every flight and I received EQMs and 150% bonus RDMs for the new longer routing.
Hear you on Wifi - but that will be a step change difference a year from now.

And 99% of business travelers (the big picture) aren't using SDC to game a longer route. They want it to get home sooner or fit in an extra meeting. And having to decide beforehand you want a flexible fare is a hassle when UA and DL offer it free.

But if you want a longer route on UA there are abundant ways to use SDC for that over the phone.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is an under-rated point. Love SDC so much that I forget it's a feature unique to United in its flexibility and ease to change right online.

How people deal with AA's $75 fee for Exec Plats baffles me...
I deal with it by rarely paying to change my flights. AA has never eliminated free same-day standby for elites, and thus during off-peak travel times I can standby for free.

When I want to confirm a change, the $75 fee is chump change. As an EXP, the confirmed change allows me to vault to the top of the upgrade list; standby usually ensures a ride in back. Not to worry, though, as my domestic upgrade percentage has never been lower than about 80% and in most years is closer to 95%.

Since AA's systemwides became capacity controlled, my clearance rate exceeds 99%. Over 150 long-haul international upgrades with exactly one miss: April, 2002.

Overall, I don't get worked up over a measly $75 charge for a confirmed change. On balance, the AAdvantage program has worked for me.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
How long have we been hearing that one? What percentage of the fleet has actually been converted? And where's the progress? Even urgency?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

How long have we been hearing that one? What percentage of the fleet has actually been converted? And where's the progress? Even urgency?
Lol! That line has been repeated for years. Wifi is clearly not a priority for them... Particularly working wifi. If im lucky enough (<1%) to get on a wifi installed flight, two times now it didn't work
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
And on the planes that do have it, I can't tell you how frequently it does not work...
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
the Airbus and International fleet are being done first (some 125 done as of earlier Nov and a reported 30 conversions per month)

see United Wi-Fi installation and satellite coverage for the info you seek.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:18 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
And on the planes that do have it, I can't tell you how frequently it does not work...
Nearly every wifi flight I've been on, the purser has advised pax that it may be a waste of money due to the poor reliability of service.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:30 pm

You are both ignoring the big picture. How do EXP's deal with the $75? Easy, the few times that I pay $75 is an insignificant price for flying a far better airline. How UA flyers deal with lack of Wifi is what baffles me.

Unlike UA, AA offers a la carte Y pricing where you can avoid $200 change fee for non-refundable fares. Choice Plus fares where for $88 a RT I get unlimited no fee changes, free SDC and 50% bonus miles. And if I didn't already get these as an EXP, kettles get free checked bags and drinks.

Not sure how flexible UA SDC routings are, but my last two AA (intentional for extra miles to requalify for EXP) SDCs were...
DEN-DFW-DTW RT... At T-2 hours, I changed DFW-DEN to DFW-LAX-DEN for free.
DEN-DFW-LGA RT... At T-24 hours, I changed to DEN-LAX-JFK-LAX-DEN for free.
In both cases, my upgrades cleared on every flight and I received EQMs and 150% bonus RDMs for the new longer routing.
Based upon your trip reports, your wife's shopping (), and your private plane to Santa Fe, you have a lot more disposable income than I do! I appreciate UA's 'free' SDC...

Choice Plus fares are an interesting wrinkle, I agree.

UA SDC usually offers some routing flexibility. (There is an entire thread on SDC, with a nice wiki maintained by mgsinc.)

Why did you receive 150% bonus on your new routings? (is this just what EXP's receive?)

(Comparing SDC to WiFi is silly, by the way. But this is the only flaw I see in your post. And I agree that, as we enter 2014, it is a joke that UA does not have ubiquitous WiFi...)

Originally Posted by demkr
Lol! That line has been repeated for years. Wifi is clearly not a priority for them... Particularly working wifi. If im lucky enough (<1%) to get on a wifi installed flight, two times now it didn't work
File a complaint.

Non Working WiFi = 4,000 - 5,000 RDM's. (when the flight is supposed to have WiFi)
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
Nearly every wifi flight I've been on, the purser has advised pax that it may be a waste of money due to the poor reliability of service.
I had my first Wi-Fi flight last month, and when I boarded, I said to the Purser "finally, I get a Wi-Fi equipped plane." She laughed and said "well, I hope it works." It did, eventually, not working until we were well over 20,000 ft. By contrast, on AA GoGo is available at 10,000 ft, reliably.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the Airbus and International fleet are being done first (some 125 done as of earlier Nov and a reported 30 conversions per month)

see United Wi-Fi installation and satellite coverage for the info you seek.
That's curious- flying TPAC or TALT atleast once per month I have yet to experience the UA wife wifi in operation.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
That's curious- flying TPAC or TALT atleast once per month I have yet to experience the UA wife wifi in operation.
Originally Posted by halls120
I had my first Wi-Fi flight last month, and when I boarded, I said to the Purser "finally, I get a Wi-Fi equipped plane." She laughed and said "well, I hope it works." It did, eventually, not working until we were well over 20,000 ft. By contrast, on AA GoGo is available at 10,000 ft, reliably.
It's important to understand the technology. There are basically three types of in-flight wi-fi.

1. Terrestrial (ala Gogo) - Cell phone signals beamed up to the aircraft. Doesn't work below 10k feet. Very slow.

2. Ku-band Satellite - Older satellite technology, which UA has been installing so far. Somewhat susceptible to weather. OK speed. Only technology that works on international flights. Going primarily into PMUA/international fleet.

3. Ka-band Satellite - New satellite technology just approved by FAA last month and going into the PMCO/domestic birds (and JetBlue) starting this month. Somewhat susceptible to weather. Works on the ground and in the air. Only domestic coverage at present. Very high speed.

IMHO - Gogo will be a dinosaur in 12 months. UA made exactly the right decision. I think if people better understood the technology and roll out time frames, there would be a lot less complaining about UA's wifi strategy.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
IMHO - Gogo will be a dinosaur in 12 months. UA made exactly the right decision. I think if people better understood the technology and roll out time frames, there would be a lot less complaining about UA's wifi strategy.
Suppose it's taking forever for UA to install WIFI because they are making smart technology choices that take time. They could cause less complaining and greater customer satisfaction if they just communicated that fact, clearly. Instead, we have to listen to $mi$ek rambling on and on and on about the WIFI that he's promising but not delivering. A better strategy would be to explain what they are doing and give a timetable and explain why it's taking so long.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
LOL. A wifi strategy that entails waiting for 5 years while the competition laps you and then slowly installing a system that then apparently doesn't function. Yeah, I'm sure that's the "right decision", right up there with cutting service and chasing away HVFs.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Suppose it's taking forever for UA to install WIFI because they are making smart technology choices that take time. They could cause less complaining and greater customer satisfaction if they just communicated that fact, clearly. Instead, we have to listen to $mi$ek rambling on and on and on about the WIFI that he's promising but not delivering. A better strategy would be to explain what they are doing and give a timetable and explain why it's taking so long.
You must be thinking of a different management team than the one who works at UA.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:30 pm

GoGo is here to stay for awhile longer than that. UA's PS fleet will be using upgraded GoGo equipment (apparently 4G compatible) and promises 3x the speed currently on PS planes (if available).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.