Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Price mistake. Afraid of reservation getting canceled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:09 am
Original Poster

I booked a business class from CMX-BKK-ICN online and then called United to add more segments to the US. So I added ICN-JFK-CLT-RDU all in first. So the total miles should be 70K for going from CMX to RDU in first but I was told that it was 92.5k since they were unable to combine the business and first class reservation and I had to pay separately (70k+22.5k). So I had it on hold and did not ticket.

When I logged back in to ticket I saw the price was 22.5k + tax and fee. So I immediately ticketed. It has been 1.5 day but I still have not received the ticket confirmation. Online it says "your purchase has been confirmed. You will get an email as soon as we finish internal processing." I have very little confidence that it will go through but am afraid of calling to check the status only to trick them to cancel it.

I called the partners airlines and my holds are still there. What should I do?

Mod, please feel free to move to appropriate forum. I was unable to post in the right forum but here via app. Thx.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Unless you have ticket numbers for the partners, I would call and get it ticketed at the right mileage. If you don't, the partners will cancel their legs and you may not be able to get them back. Your call.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:42 am
Original Poster

This is exactly what it says on United.com

"Thank you for choosing United Airlines. Your purchase is confirmed. You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized so that you can request additional receipts, export to Microsoft Outlook, refund or change your flight, view/change seats, check-in, or email or print your itinerary."

What does that mean, Your purchase is confirmed?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by jrey

"Thank you for choosing United Airlines. Your purchase is confirmed. You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized so that you can request additional receipts, export to Microsoft Outlook, refund or change your flight, view/change seats, check-in, or email or print your itinerary."

The seats have been confirmed and on hold (or taken out of inventory), but the system hasn't issued a ticket yet. If you don't get a ticket number in 24 hours I would call. The segments will fall out shortly after that period I would assume. Actually wait about six hours, you should get a confirmation email with a ticket number.

If the miles have been removed from your account, sit tight. If the miles have NOT been taken deducted from your account, then you may have an issue.

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Nov 19, 2013 at 6:00 am
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
The seats have been confirmed and on hold (or taken out of inventory), but the system hasn't issued a ticket yet. If you don't get a ticket number in 24 hours I would call. The segments will fall out shortly after that period I would assume. Actually wait six hours, you should get an email.
It is beyond 24 hours already. In 6 hours, it will be 48 hours.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM

This simply means, they will eventually process it, and you will be deducted the mileage. It can take a few days, I've even had it go as long as 2 weeks before correct mileage was deducted.

Once you get a ticket emailed, check back to your account - I can guarantee you 92.5k will be gone.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
This simply means, they will eventually process it, and you will be deducted the mileage. It can take a few days, I've even had it go as long as 2 weeks before correct mileage was deducted.

Once you get a ticket emailed, check back to your account - I can guarantee you 92.5k will be gone.
I only have 28K in my account, enough for 22.5K but not 92.5K, not even 70K. I am just curious what will happen
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I only have 28K in my account, enough for 22.5K but not 92.5K, not even 70K. I am just curious what will happen
They will call/contact you to pay up or cancel res.
Thats standard procedure for these situations.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

My guess is this will not ticket.

Just curious what made you want to attempt booking an award that should cost 70K if you only had 22.5K in your account?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
My guess is this will not ticket.

Just curious what made you want to attempt booking an award that should cost 70K if you only had 22.5K in your account?
I was ready to transfer from Chase to make it 70K but I saw 22.5K price so I purchased.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I booked a business class from CMX-BKK-ICN online and then called United to add more segments to the US. So I added ICN-JFK-CLT-RDU all in first. So the total miles should be 70K for going from CMX to RDU in first but I was told that it was 92.5k since they were unable to combine the business and first class reservation and I had to pay separately (70k+22.5k). So I had it on hold and did not ticket.

When I logged back in to ticket I saw the price was 22.5k + tax and fee. So I immediately ticketed. It has been 1.5 day but I still have not received the ticket confirmation. Online it says "your purchase has been confirmed. You will get an email as soon as we finish internal processing." I have very little confidence that it will go through but am afraid of calling to check the status only to trick them to cancel it.

I called the partners airlines and my holds are still there. What should I do?

Mod, please feel free to move to appropriate forum. I was unable to post in the right forum but here via app. Thx.
I don't think it will ticket properly so your concern is not ever having a valid ticket instead of having the reservation canceled. I had a somewhat similar situation earlier this year where I had fare locked 2 TATL business class tickets for my wife, daughter and a lap infant and then I was able to purchase for about $400. I had the same "purchase confirmed" message but there was an error when I tried to pull up the receipt. I would have loved getting the seats for that price, but I also didn't want to show up at the airport and not have seats or have to pay $15k for 2 seats so I called and it turned out only the lap infant ticket and fees had been charged.

I'd transfer the miles from Chase if you intent to buy the ticket and then call about it and get it properly ticketed and have the proper miles deducted. If you wait too long, you might lose the availability and end up with nothing.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's purchase is confirmed. This does not mean ticketed and it does not mean paid for. In order to be ticketed, he will need the proper # of miles in his account. Sooner or later that will catch up with him. When there aren't enough miles it is possible that UA will call him, but equally possible that the unticketed segments will simply be cancelled.

The problem is that when a seat is returned to inventory, it does not necessarily go back into an award inventory or it may go back into award inventory and be purchased by someone else before OP grabs it back. If OP can't get the seat back, he either won't be able to use miles and will need to pay cash or he will need more miles.

Bottom line is that in order to fly, OP needs a ticket for each segment. Until he has that, he has nothing. And, while it's always possible that by some miracle, he gets away with a ticket for this entire route for 22.5K miles, it's extraordinarily unlikely.

Unless OP is prepared to pay cash for his unticketed segments, he should call immediately and get this ticketed properly.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:46 am
Original Poster

I won't need it until next year. This one is just an experiment. I am just curious which way will have more chance of slipping through between calling and wait.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I am just curious which way will have more chance of slipping through between calling and wait.
likely neither -- odds on this will be caught. The question is will you be given the opportunity to properly funded the ticket before it is cancelled.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I don't know if you understand the situation you are in. You got some sound advice here. Feel free to ignore it at your leisure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.