Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Let's organize opposition to the Great Devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:13 pm
Used to be Sydneysider
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)

In the main thread about the Great Devaluation, someone mentioned the Save SkyMiles campaign from the early 2000s. I don't remember the specifics of the changes DL was trying to make back then, but I remember that organized and passionate Delta flyers successfully pressured the airline into rolling back onerous program changes.

I'd like to do the same thing with United and MileagePlus. This will not be a thread to debate the merits of the changes - please save that for the main thread. This thread is for people who, like me, want to save United from Jeff Smisek's shortsightedness on this issue.

Shortly after the devaluation was announced, I purchased www.savemileageplus.org. Here's what I'm looking for from you fellow dismayed UA loyalists:
  • People with web design skills and the desire to donate their time and expertise to develop a campaign website
  • People with blogs and other social media platforms (such as Facebook, Twitter and others) to share and promote the site's content
  • People to contribute ideas, energy, content, and support of any and all kinds to exert significant pressure on United to roll these changes back

If you're interested in helping out, please reply to this thread and mention how you'd like to help. Then PM me an email address. I'll set up a private space for us to collaborate away from the noise of FT.

Thanks in advance, and let's give 'em hell for ruining MP!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Savvy Traveler
In the main thread about the Great Devaluation, someone mentioned the Save SkyMiles campaign from the early 2000s. I don't remember the specifics of the changes DL was trying to make back then, but I remember that organized and passionate Delta flyers successfully pressured the airline into rolling back onerous program changes.

I'd like to do the same thing with United and MileagePlus. This will not be a thread to debate the merits of the changes - please save that for the main thread. This thread is for people who, like me, want to save United from Jeff Smisek's shortsightedness on this issue.

Shortly after the devaluation was announced, I purchased www.savemileageplus.org. Here's what I'm looking for from you fellow dismayed UA loyalists:
  • People with web design skills and the desire to donate their time and expertise to develop a campaign website
  • People with blogs and other social media platforms (such as Facebook, Twitter and others) to share and promote the site's content
  • People to contribute ideas, energy, content, and support of any and all kinds to exert significant pressure on United to roll these changes back

If you're interested in helping out, please reply to this thread and mention how you'd like to help. Then PM me an email address. I'll set up a private space for us to collaborate away from the noise of FT.

The odds of this causing $mi$ek to change his mind are extremely close to zero.

Also, you better have great insurance and legal coverage, because this lawyer-led organization has a much higher propensity to sue people to get what they want than the prior organization.

For one thing, you're using "mileageplus" in the name, which they could come after you for as a trademark violation.

Be careful.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I think the only sensible approach to Jeff's UALfkaCO is "Run, Luke, Run"....

its my plan for 2014.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mitchmu
For one thing, you're using "mileageplus" in the name, which they could come after you for as a trademark violation.

Be careful.
Perhaps. But then again the forum in which we are posting may also be in technical violation of the ™.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by kale73
Perhaps. But then again the forum in which we are posting may also be in technical violation of the ™.
You are allowed to use a TM for any speech/public purpose that is fair use. You can't use it in a way that is either confusing or for commercial use.

Provided that it was clear the site was not UAL, it was not potentially confusing, and there was no commercial purpose you can put "mileage plus" on a site.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

Also, you better have great insurance and legal coverage, because this lawyer-led organization has a much higher propensity to sue people to get what they want than the prior organization.

Be careful.
So true. On my end, I have done more than enough. My company has taken away a total of $32 millions from UA and we all feel amazing about it. Our customers sound even happier. It's a win-win.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold

Easy.

Stop flying UA.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:59 am
Used to be Sydneysider
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
So true. On my end, I have done more than enough. My company has taken away a total of $32 millions from UA and we all feel amazing about it. Our customers sound even happier. It's a win-win.
Excellent. I'm glad you hit them where it hurts. I have also redirected clients (worth millions in spend) away from them. Most had no idea what United had done, and were pissed when I explained it to them.

But so far no one wants to fight this with me? That's a little disappointing, if only because letting this go unanswered means that Parker's "new" American will match it. And if the big three all go this route (DL effectively did years ago with its three-tier system) then outliers like Alaska won't last long, and the game is truly up.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Excellent. I'm glad you hit them where it hurts. I have also redirected clients (worth millions in spend) away from them. Most had no idea what United had done, and were pissed when I explained it to them.

But so far no one wants to fight this with me? That's a little disappointing, if only because letting this go unanswered means that Parker's "new" American will match it. And if the big three all go this route (DL effectively did years ago with its three-tier system) then outliers like Alaska won't last long, and the game is truly up.
It's not that people don't want to fight, the problem is that it won't do anything. The program will change and nothing will stop it, not a website or a facebook campaign or petition.

The only way United would listed is if people stopped flying them en mass.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I think that's the reason why a lot of us are grateful to you for trying but unsure about what you might be able to achieve. If you are modeling your movement on Save Skymiles, and they didn't actually manage to achieve the objective suggested by their name, then that will make people wonder whether it's worth anybody's time. A campaign such as this will only have any hope of working so long as there is a competitor that still offers more, so many of us feel that moving our business to such AA competitor is the best we can do for now, not only for ourselves but also for any hope of restoration at United.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

Be careful.
As long as the OP is using the word "mileageplus" to describe the trademarked product or service, he/she is fine. This doesn't dilute the trademark, it reinforces it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_use
http://thompsonhall.com/nominative-f...e-domain-name/
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:10 pm
Used to be Sydneysider
Original Poster

Sadly, I don't have the skills or time to do this entirely on my own, so it looks like I'll stick to steering millions in client revenue away from UA, and personally giving my own pittance to Alaska's excellent program.

United may not miss me, but they sure as hell will miss the Global Services clients I'm taking with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.