Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Extending GPUs Earned in 2013 that Expire on 31-Jan-2014?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending GPUs Earned in 2013 that Expire on 31-Jan-2014?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by username
Again, in the ideal world, what you said are all true. Here, with UA, we do have some responsibilities to find these things. Or, live with the standard rules.
It is fairly obvious that there are games to be played here. Game the system, right? That is why many FTers are here, to get "inside" info that will enhance their travel experience. Tips on unadvertised specials, fare mistakes, GPU extensions, "secret" status match prospects, KVS tool (apparently not so useful anymore), the list goes on and on. Not to say that FT doesn't offer loads more, it certainly does.

It might be said that complainers about the "insider" aspect of these perks would rather have everyone be equal, to be fair.
Stalin would be proud.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1-K, AA PLT
Extending 2 GPU's up to 4/30/2014 appears to be the standard policy. Called in today for some (unrelated) missing credit. At the end of the call, just as soon as I mentioned the GPU's, the agent knew exactly what the request was. No other questions were asked and two GPU's were extended as above.

I also asked about two RPU's expiring 1/31/2014 to try my luck, and the agent mentioned that those "can not be touched".
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:43 pm

I re-qualified for 1K last year and have 3 GPU's expiring on 1/31/14. I called in to have all 3 extended with flights to immediately use them on but they would only extend 2. I'll take it.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by weezl
It is fairly obvious that there are games to be played here. Game the system, right? That is why many FTers are here, to get "inside" info that will enhance their travel experience. Tips on unadvertised specials, fare mistakes, GPU extensions, "secret" status match prospects, KVS tool (apparently not so useful anymore), the list goes on and on. Not to say that FT doesn't offer loads more, it certainly does.

It might be said that complainers about the "insider" aspect of these perks would rather have everyone be equal, to be fair.
Stalin would be proud.
Au contraire, there is no resentment here - I am happy for those of you who were able to get more benefit from your GPUs that I did. Ditto for anyone who can benefit from a rare mistake fare (as I have) and status match.

That does not mean I am not entitled to be angry at UA for not providing a general notification to 2014 1Ks. It is not a matter of marxist equality but of dealing fairly and consistently with your best customers. Particularly when it doesn't cost you anything. I would be willing to wager, based on how many of mine clear at the gate, that the GPUs - in most cases - simply take away a CPU or a waitlisted GPU from another customer. These are generally not used for the UFC domestic F seats that are being sold to the kettles. Otherwise mine would be gone already.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I had 2 GPUs extended and they also extended my one remaining RPU that was to expire end of the month, all to 4/30.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
I also was able to extend 2 GPUs but no more. I'm slightly amazed that I managed to deploy 11 out of 14 untouched upgrades in a month.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:32 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by weezl
Tips on unadvertised specials, fare mistakes, GPU extensions, "secret" status match prospects, KVS tool (apparently not so useful anymore), the list goes on and on.
You must have been thinking of another tool/service .
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA
Was able to extend 2 GPUs expiring today. Was a predictable no-go on the third one I had. Oh well.

Front line agent had no idea what I was talking about, but the first agent at the mileage plus service center definitely knew it was possible for a requal'd 1K.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
I had 2 GPUs extended and they also extended my one remaining RPU that was to expire end of the month, all to 4/30.
Lucky! I tried three times on my RPUs and got told it wasn't possible each time.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:50 pm

Have GPUs that are expiring? 'Friends' would like them!

Hi fellow FTers --

Where is the best place to look for those generous enough to donate expiring GPUs to 'friends'? There used to be some discussion on this topic, as it does not violate UA's policy. And it makes no sense to lose the benefits of the GPU.

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated! FT is an incredible resource!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sfdc
Hi fellow FTers --

Where is the best place to look for those generous enough to donate expiring GPUs to 'friends'? There used to be some discussion on this topic, as it does not violate UA's policy. And it makes no sense to lose the benefits of the GPU.

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated! FT is an incredible resource!
Coupon connection ... but you need a few more posts before this forum shows up
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Coupon connection ... but you need a few more posts before this forum shows up
Thanks for the quick reply! I definitely need to start contributing more as I have been benefiting from FT expertise for years.

Okay...off to find some posts and contribute my advice!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Extending GPUs Earned in 2013 that Expire on 31-Jan-2015? Has anyone tried yet? Any luck?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
Extending GPUs Earned in 2013 that Expire on 31-Jan-2015? Has anyone tried yet? Any luck?
a tad early for that -- you still 9 months.

Extension offers have never come earlier than November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.