Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Where is this aircraft coming from" questions; Times / aircraft don't make sense!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Where is this aircraft coming from" questions; Times / aircraft don't make sense!

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It's not useless at all -- particularly when leaving from an outstation where no aircraft swaps will ccur. It may not give us all available relevant information but it absolutely provides useful data points.
Indeed. I can see that at hubs they have lots of "inventory" available and can swap planes readily, but at my primary domestic airport (not even close to a hub), if the plane don't come in, my flight don't go out. The "where is this plane coming from" feature has alerted me plenty of times that a flight would be delayed.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
It's not useless at all -- particularly when leaving from an outstation where no aircraft swaps will ccur. It may not give us all available relevant information but it absolutely provides useful data points.
+1. By far the best indicator of a delay, since they often don't update the return/onward segment, often for hours.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another clue/indicator is look at what gate the arriving flight is scheduled to use and compare to the gate your departing flight is scheduled to use. It may still say that is the incoming plane but if the gates don't match then that is an indication that a different plane may be used. No guarantee as one or the other may not be updated yet but is a little more info that could help.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Originally Posted by br2k
Just curious. UA 1433 shows on time departure from IAH at 7:04pm. It also says it's coming in as UA 1495 with on time arrival at IAH at 7:37pm.

How exactly does that work?
Either they'll swap or 1433 will take a delay. They may not have decided yet for a flight 6+ hours in the future.
UA1433 took the delay, estimated departure time now 8:10p.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:17 pm

Yep, shoulda known. Thanks United.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I started this thread, and I'll agree with you after some more experience with the feature. It's definitely not perfect, but one data point, at least

Recently flying ICT-ORD and saw that the inbound flight that would take me to ORD was delayed, delayed, delayed, canceled. My outbound was still showing on-time, on-time, delayed, delayed. Figured it'd be canceled since the inbound was showing canceled. 20 minutes later, they finally canceled the outbound. At a hub like ORD, definitely will experience more changes.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: United Plat
UA931 (04JUN2015) coming from nowhere?

A friend is taking TK from IST to LHR then UA931 from LHR to SFO. UA931 status on 04JUN does not show where the aircraft is coming from. I checked the 03JUN B777 departure from LAX, IAD and SFO to LHR, all seem normal.

Does it sound OK that UA931 still does not show where the aircraft comes from? Is this flight about to be cancelled? Then why UA leaves one 777 in LHR?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Relax.
If N204UA is operating the flights as scheduled, it's currently at LAX, operating UA934 tonight, and arriving LHR 04-June tomorrow.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by skycrab
Relax.
If N204UA is operating the flights as scheduled, it's currently at LAX, operating UA934 tonight, and arriving LHR 04-June tomorrow.
Could be a system bug?

The 777 used by UA931 (LHR-SFO) normally comes from UA934 (LAX-LHR). 03JUN and 05JUN both display so. Only 04JUN shows nothing.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Could be a system bug?

The 777 used by UA931 (LHR-SFO) normally comes from UA934 (LAX-LHR). 03JUN and 05JUN both display so. Only 04JUN shows nothing.
It could be, but it could also be operations not knowing which inbound 777 they want to use for the LHR-SFO flight.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
When I was flying from SIN this week to NRT it wasn't showing the "Where is the aircraft coming from?" on the status page either. In any event both 777s were there and went on their merry way.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Hartmann
It could be, but it could also be operations not knowing which inbound 777 they want to use for the LHR-SFO flight.
I guess I connected the dots myself:

03JUN UA934 LAX-LHR 777 aircraft #2704
04JUN UA930 SFO-LHR 777 aircraft #2704

Unless UA decides to fly an emply 777 from LHR to SFO on 04JUN, looks like UA931 will use #2704.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Just looked at my 8:09pm CVG-DEN flight on Thursday (48 hours away) and it says our plane is the DEN-CVG flight that lands at 10:07pm.....

I know it is far out, but I guess they have to have something in the system. Interesting in that they for both flights, they have the DEN gates, but not the CVG gates- even though there are a lot more degrees of freedom on the DEN gates.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Why does UA schedule impossible turn times? {resolved}

This is really getting under my skin. I am having a lot of experiences where an inbound aircraft is on-time, even early, but arrives after boarding time!

e.g. tomorrow I am on IAH-SEA at 5:55pm. Inbound is from Puerto Vallarta scheduled to arrive at 5:33p. I am well aware now that a security sweep is needed after the international flight so a 60 minute turn is about the best I see in those cases.

The last time, my flight was declared delayed 20 minutes at the gate at boarding time due to "late inbound aircraft" when the inbound aircraft arrived 10 minutes early!

Are they really serious at all about having on-time performance or is it all a joke played on us?

I have noticed though they have added in more contingency time in the block to block times. It seems like they feel they can gobble up that contingency when they feel they need it to squeeze planes in. I think they even factor in the hope of favorable winds!

Last edited by dmodemd; Dec 10, 2015 at 7:10 pm
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
This is really getting under my skin. I am having a lot of experiences where an inbound aircraft is on-time, even early, but arrives after boarding time!

e.g. tomorrow I am on SEA-IAH at 5:55pm. Inbound is from Puerto Vallarta scheduled to arrive at 5:33p. I am well aware now that a security sweep is needed after the international flight so a 60 minute turn is about the best I see in those cases.

The last time, my flight was declared delayed 20 minutes at the gate at boarding time due to "late inbound aircraft" when the inbound aircraft arrived 10 minutes early!

Are they really serious at all about having on-time performance or is it all a joke played on us?

I have noticed though they have added in more contingency time in the block to block times. It seems like they feel they can gobble up that contingency when they feel they need it to squeeze planes in. I think they even factor in the hope of favorable winds!
When did UA get a non-stop Puerto Vallarta to Seattle flight? And is it the same actual tail number for that inbound and your outbound? Or is the PV flight a direct that stopped somewhere else and did the security sweep and then went on to Seattle? Some things in your post don't make sense. Would you please clarify?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.