Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CR7 on LAX-SFO Now on a few Saturdays in Nov.- Dec. 2013?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CR7 on LAX-SFO Now on a few Saturdays in Nov.- Dec. 2013?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ACVBear
Hey this is how the creep started on other routes, but why let that get in the way?
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Everyone (or some) are saying "it's only 2 flights, it's only .3% of the schedule", etc. That misses the bigger picture - the dam has broken, and once UA starts to feed UX into a previously mainline-only route, it's only going to increase.

The downward spiral continues...
As I understand it, UA is limited on total hub-to-hub RJ use by the scope agreement. So I'm having trouble understanding how the creep will work.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
As I understand it, UA is limited on total hub-to-hub RJ use by the scope agreement. So I'm having trouble understanding how the creep will work.
Before there was none, now there is some

But that's less of an issue - hub/hub is always going to be mostly mainline. RJ creep has become especially bad now on UA hub/OAL hub.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
I have an RJ145 on MSY-EWR which is almost a 3 hour flight. One hour LAX-SFO seems like a blessing
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:45 am

On the off peak weekends, would you rather have a CR7 or no flight at all?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Before there was none, now there is some

But that's less of an issue - hub/hub is always going to be mostly mainline. RJ creep has become especially bad now on UA hub/OAL hub.

CO had RJs on hub-to-hub. UA did not. This is just more of going in the same direction.

I see the issue as two-fold. First, the lack of mainline, but second, the quality/comfort disparity between mainline and RJ.

When you see what DL has done with this route (put large RJs where you can carry on a roller, large F cabins, fresh vegertable snacks in F and Y, WiFi, free drinks, etc.), it's even a better quality product than mainline in some cases, which makes it tough to complain.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thx but I am curious what airline flies a CRJ200 between ORD and DEN.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ACVBear
Saturdays -

UA 6249 and UA 5163. Seriously United? and is this the response to the hourly delta shuttle? (I know that is a regional jet as well but I expect more from United on this route).

I know there are rules to how many regional jets can fly hub to hub but seeing any is annoying/depressing. Better stay restricted to this.

(My apologies if this is on the forum already I couldn't find anything via search)
That's nothing, try ORD - Florida in a CRJ 700--even F feels terrible.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
What airline?
YYZ-DEN for one on United.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
First, I call BS on CR2/7 ORDDEN except under extraordinary circumstances. Let's just say I have a significant amount of time flying in and out of both airports but never nonstop on an RJ.

Second, some funky RJ routes for UAL in December as well (ORDDCA, ORDBOS, ORDLGA [IIRC; UAL peeps better not look at DAL service bewteen that last city pair] et al.) but those are not dailies and as others mention are often weekend or just a schedule hiccup. They most certainly represent a small majority of frequency, ASM, and premium seats. The flights kinda remind me of airlines prior to 2008 when market share at any cost meant kinda irrational scheduling. Probably more rational now given better capacity control and YM but still they are generally exceptions on routes.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by channa
CO had RJs on hub-to-hub. UA did not. This is just more of going in the same direction.
CO's pilot contract did not allow for RJs on hub to hub routes.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
CLE-ORD weekdays 15 flights only 2 mainline. Not operating any mainline in the early AM and these flights run very full. UA feeds mainline flights to ORD from many smaller markets. Alot of this may have to due with aircraft and crew positioning since CLE is a hub. In the 1970's they ran DC-10's on this route and even the non hub days it was all mainline but it was only 6-7 flights a day.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:13 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Legacy UA's policy was no RJs on hub-to-hub, including LAX-SFO.

I got caught on one of these CR7s for a meeting I have in So.Cal, returning next Sat. Next earlier flight was mainline but was about 3:50 earlier and the last flight (also mainline) was about 2:05 later.

For the rest of the year, RJs appear only on 2 Saturdays in Nov. and 2 in December. Checked Sats. in Jan '14 and none on this route.

Also, for the reverse direction, SFO to LAX, all Sats. in Nov./Dec. have all mainline service.

Hopefully, this'll be a finite experiment

[With mod. hat on, edited the thread title to reflect the RJ schedule.]
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Legacy UA's policy was no RJs on hub-to-hub, including LAX-SFO.

I got caught on one of these CR7s for a meeting I have in So.Cal, returning next Sat. Next earlier flight was mainline but was about 3:50 earlier and the last flight (also mainline) was about 2:05 later.

For the rest of the year, RJs appear only on 2 Saturdays in Nov. and 2 in December. Checked Sats. in Jan '14 and none on this route.

Also, for the reverse direction, SFO to LAX, all Sats. in Nov./Dec. have all mainline service.

Hopefully, this'll be a finite experiment

[With mod. hat on, edited the thread title to reflect the RJ schedule.]
Exactly! I actually seem to recall in my limited experience with PMUA that many if not most hub to hub routes were on 757s and widebodies.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:26 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

Exactly! I actually seem to recall in my limited experience with PMUA that many if not most hub to hub routes were on 757s and widebodies.
Legacy UA lift on LAX-SFO has varied considerably over the years. IIRC in pre-Shuttle days, it varied from wide-bodies to 73X. During the Shuttle years, it was almost all 73X because that was the Shuttle type a.c.; with a rarely occasional "rescue" larger a.c. if needed to clear out the many backed-up BP5s or other disserved pax esp. on Fri/Sun. After Shuttle, the route saw a mix of 73X (until they were retired) and Airbii on this route, with the occasional 752 at peak times.

I remember during the heavy use of 73X, then S.F. Mayor Willie Brown, a frequent commuter on this route, sent a missive to UA blasting its use of "panty-waist" a/c -- referring to the 73s. Never saw the introduction of CRs, though, on this route until now.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Originally Posted by demkr

Legacy UA lift on LAX-SFO has varied considerably over the years. IIRC in pre-Shuttle days, it varied from wide-bodies to 73X. During the Shuttle years, it was almost all 73X because that was the Shuttle type a.c.; with a rarely occasional "rescue" larger a.c. if needed to clear out the many backed-up BP5s or other disserved pax esp. on Fri/Sun. After Shuttle, the route saw a mix of 73X (until they were retired) and Airbii on this route, with the occasional 752 at peak times.

I remember during the heavy use of 73X, then S.F. Mayor Willie Brown, a frequent commuter on this route, sent a missive to UA blasting its use of "panty-waist" a/c -- referring to the 73s. Never saw the introduction of CRs, though, on this route until now.
LOL i remember that! That was a long time ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.