Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What did you forget on the plane and did you get it back again?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:32 pm

I have left a pair of prescription sunglasses in the cockpit, but we all put our names and crew base, and usually a phone # on the important stuff and other pilots will get it back to the owners pretty quick.

As a passenger, I've never left anything more than maybe a paperback book behind. I have retrieved lots of stuff for passengers, though, and have personally FedExed a few things to their owners. It really helps if there's some contact info on your stuff somewhere. If there's a cell phone # on something and a pilot or FA finds it a flight or two down line, you will likely have it back in a day or two.

FAB
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Kindle

It was actually on a LX flight to Zurich (yeah, I know this is a United thread, but its *A right??)

It turns out Zurich airport has an online lost and found system, and they will send your item for free to any airport served by Swiss Airlines!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Twice.

In early 2011 I left a phone on board while connecting at DIA. I realized about 15 minutes later it was gone while grabbing some chow. I was pretty upset but shortly I was paged by name, and after answering a UA FA said she had it and would meet me to return it. What's interesting is she couldn't determine the phone owners name, so she called a recent phone number, which happened to be a co-worker who was also transiting Denver at that time (different flights). Co-worker figured it had to be me and the phone was recovered.

Later that year I left a new blazer on board at DCA on the final return segment from SIN. It's possible to be a little worn out after that trip and I just lost track of it. This was in F and the FA that hung the blazer ought to have returned but he was too busy talking. I reported it immediately but never saw it again. My fault for leaving it.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
laptop and new server motherboard

Was so tired at a layover in IAH that when we landed I just walked off the plane without my bag to my next flight. When I got to the next terminal I heard and overhead announcement about a bag left on my previous flight and I ran back to pick it up.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:23 pm

oh, some very nice cuff links. I tried to get those back too, but no dice...
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I left my Bose headphones on the empty seat next to me earlier this year, flying from PEK-ORD in coach.

One of the pilots called my cellphone (my business card was in the case) and delivered them to me in the United Club. I'm not sure how the pilot got them but little things like this are what keep me with United.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I left a pouch with a number of cables and chargers (iphone, blackberry, etc.) and ipod nano/with eary plug in it last Wednesday night on IAD-SMF flight.

I did not noticed I left it behind until I checked into the hotel. I was really upset that I still have days to go on this trip and having to go purchase replacement. iPod was sentimental as it was a gift from my daughter.

Surprisingly I received an email next morning from the United Sacramento baggage agent asking me if I had left important personal belonging on the flight, and asked me to stop by luggage claim office on my way out of SMF.

As soon as I walked into the luggage claim office, two nice ladies immediately knew who I was there for. They saw my family photo stored on the iPod while trying to tracking me down.

I thank the aircraft cleaner for not throw my pouch into the trash. The pouch is actually the BF amenity bag that I have been using it to store my cables and chargers while I travel.

An email was sent to GS to commend the great customer services of SMF agents.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Shimansky VIP
This just happened to me for the first time, left my Kindle in the seatback in front of me on a flight from IAH-ORD. I called that night from the hotel once I realized and the next day - they had it and verified it was mine over the phone, it was held fro me in a safe until my return flight home on Friday. Excellent service on that flight too, great job UA.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
My sanity.

Was never returned.

Does that count?

Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vkykam
My sanity.

Was never returned.

Does that count?

well at least you had it at one time
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
2 QC3s, each with my iPod and business card inside the case. - Never found. (Ha!)

1 Tempur-Pedic seat cushion on its inaugural flight from Columbia, SC to ORD. Realized it as I was walking to the UC. Being closer to the UC than the gate, I had an agent call. Said the plane had already departed, and the cleaning crew didn't find it. Had to wait for it to get wherever. Filled out a form. Never got it back. Grrrr....

My first trip to Medellin, Colombia was on Taca. I left my iPhone in the seat. I had used it at SJO before departure, and I remembered putting it under my leg before dozing off. I was all the way into Medellin and checked into my hotel when I realized what I had done. Called Taca, and they had already found it, put it away in Security and had it waiting for me there when I departed. ^^ to Taca! With Colombia's reputation, that one shocked me. Not so much now that I know the city of Medellin so well. It's like everyone there is working to overcome their tarnished image.

I also had a QC-15/iPod lifted from my laptop case in the boarding area at MIA. Miami Police opened a case and looked harder for that loss than did UA on any of the occasions I left something on board one of their planes. They never caught the perp. I was conveniently seated in a blind spot for the cameras.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
My signed copy of Just Kids by Patti Smith on a flight from EWR to CDG...I like to think it became a meaningful source of inspiration to the new owner.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
This thread should not be in the UNITED forum, but

Passport

Laptop - forgot to take it out of the seat back on a last minute VDB. Ran back to the gate but the plane had pushed. I flew on the flight behind and was miserable. Luckily SFO luggage had it waiting for me.

I left a Tag Heuer at EWR security. Still waiting.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I got off my ORD-FRA flight and after passing through immigration in FRA and while emptying my pockets going through security (going to a connecting flight so immigration by the Tower LH Lounge), I noticed my iphone was not in my pants pocket. It must have slipped out in the seat (J seat, upper deck 747) during the flight. I went to the LH lounge and they called the gate and the United lady that is always there to meet the flights was able to find it and returned it to me - she passed through immigration and security to get it to me.

^
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: 1MM; UA GS; United Club; Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold); SPG Gold; National Exec Elite; Global En
iPad Mini. Tried all of the United phone numbers (baggage claim at IAD, general claims/lost & found). No joy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.