Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I still transit Europe on the way to Asia on award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I still transit Europe on the way to Asia on award?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
posted this in the stopovers/oj thread, but wanted to add that i booked
lax-icn-tpe/tpe-bkk-cdg/cdg-yul-lax
on the fourth attempt with no problems
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I'm not sure why you're so invested in defending UA, but just to debunk the myth that AA won't allow you to book complex itineraries...

Using the AA Explorer award which is distance based and allows travel on all OW partners with very limited rules, one could book (in business class):

JFK-NRT-JFK-LIM-IPC-SCL-AKL-SYD-HKG-MNL-KUL, BKK-DOH-ADD-DOH-DME-HEL-JFK flying a mix of JL, LA, QF, CX, MH, QR and AY.

and stopover in EVERY ONE of those places provided all travel is complete within one year for only 220,000 AA miles.
Yes. But try making a date change on that kind of itinerary and then come back to us and let us know what you think then.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by enki
Kudos to you! Not sure how you did it, but that's a great routing.

And that's what is so crazy right now. The unpublished rules, misinformation, misinformed agents, etc. While I've taken advantage of liberal routing rules in the past (and even as we speak), it's the inconsistency that's so tough. I suppose you might argue that as long as it gets done somehow, at least that's better than not getting it done at all. But then we get warnings, false positives, etc., and we all go crazy again because this stuff isn't documented anywhere.

Case in point -- the 4 segment max rule that's floating around. I just called, 10 minutes ago, to add a segment to a trip to SGN next June. Current routing:

SFO-IAH-IST(stop)-FRA-BKK-SGN(dest)
SGN-BKK
-ICN-JFK

I was worried that the fifth flight to SGN was going to be a problem. The first agent I got was nice, entered in the BKK-SGN-BKK piece, told me I was getting $1.90 back in taxes, and it ticketed immediately. No rate desk. No hold music. Nothing. I'm extremely grateful, but if the 4 segment rule is true, then this should have failed, either by the system or the agent.

Again, I'm not complaining about the fact I get to do this, but if a "rule" exists, why can't we officially know about it?
So you already had the trip setup till BKK? And then you added the BKK-SGN-BKK? Correct?
I am wondering if I can add/ insert a segment like that here SFO/SJC to IAD or CLT? : Thoughts & Suggestions?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-segments.html

Originally Posted by amolkold
The full award was ATL-IAD-CDG-BOM <open-jaw> HAN-CDG-IAD-ATL <stop> - IAH. Didn't need 10 segments.

There's a 4 segment rule for one-ways, 5 segments for roundtrips. You have 5 segments and a roundtrip.

(The official wording is 3 connections on one-way and 4 connections for a roundtrip).
I am guessing it should fall within the rules??
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
I just successfully changed EWR-AMS-ZRH-NRT(destination)-ZRH-ARN(stopover)-ORD-LGA

to

LGA-ORD-NRT(destination)-ZRH-ARN-ORD-LGA

saves a day in the air and the agent didn't blink, processed it in 5 minutes. I don't understand the lack of any sort of rhyme or reason when it comes to these routings. Oh well, 7th time around the world, here I come.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I have called in several times. They are reading me a script that you cannot travel to Asia via Europe, Africa or the Middle East. What is this garbage? United trying to screw us on the way out the door as we try to offload our worthless miles?
Last year when I was having trouble issuing a US-SE Asia routing with some legs on QR a helpful agent who was genuinely trying to help me found some award rules which among many other things stated that I was not permitted to route via Africa. So at least that part appears to have been present in writing for a while, although nothing has stopped shares from ticketing it.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Henwurst
Last year when I was having trouble issuing a US-SE Asia routing with some legs on QR a helpful agent who was genuinely trying to help me found some award rules which among many other things stated that I was not permitted to route via Africa. So at least that part appears to have been present in writing for a while, although nothing has stopped shares from ticketing it.
Well, I'm not sure anyone has ever considered Africa a valid routing to/from SE Asia.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; DL Gold; UA Silver; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
sorry if this comes off as a newbie question, but can i do the reverse award where i travel from asia via europe to US and then back to asia via pacific ocean?

i'm based in tw right now. thanks in advance!
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
what the OP has proclaimed on the title is blatantly false. Through the recent YYZ-MUC thread on BoardingArea, *numerous* people have reported successful ticketing of US-YYZ-MUC-Asia, including 2 tickets myself in the past 72 hours
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by homeone
sorry if this comes off as a newbie question, but can i do the reverse award where i travel from asia via europe to US and then back to asia via pacific ocean?
I don't think you can include both trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flights in the same itinerary as a R/T ticket, but you could book as two one-ways. I've done that earlier this year, although I'm not sure if it's still possible. Good luck hunting.

*CORRECTION*
My bad, apparently people have reported booking such itinerary. Just ignore my post.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hamnori
I don't think you can include both trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flights in the same itinerary as a R/T ticket, but you could book as two one-ways. ....
can at times be done as RT -- online and some agents (but some will try to claim his is RTW, which it isn't).
Old Nov 10, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Well, I'm not sure anyone has ever considered Africa a valid routing to/from SE Asia.
I had no problem getting U.S.-SE Asia via RAK or CMN to price out online earlier this year, but now it consistently errors out, even with only 6 segments total EWR-LIS-CMN(stop)-IST-BKK-FRA-EWR. I didn't actually book anything; I was doing dummy searches for Nov. 2014.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by xmlsoa
So you already had the trip setup till BKK? And then you added the BKK-SGN-BKK? Correct?
I am wondering if I can add/ insert a segment like that here SFO/SJC to IAD or CLT? : Thoughts & Suggestions?
Yes, it was setup to BKK, and then I added BKK-SGN-BKK with no problems. I'm not sure I have any suggestions other than trying to call multiple times to get what you want. Think of it as the wild west -- you can have anything you want, you just need to find someone willing to book it. Maybe not quite that wide open, but with some of the stuff we've seen reported here (and I've been able to do), I don't think it's that far off.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
can at times be done as RT -- online and some agents (but some will try to claim his is RTW, which it isn't).
+1. I find it amazing that agents get confused about what an RTW ticket is, and end up making up rules here and there. My trip referenced earlier was first booked online as JFK-IST-FRA-BKK-ICN-JFK with no problems. Many agents (well, probably 3 on this round) told me previously that this was crossing two oceans, an RTW ticket, and would only transfer me to the *A RTW desk. After I booked a multi-segment ticket online as above, and then called in, no one has blinked, even as I've made a dozen changes to the ticket.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I spent awhile tonight searching award availability in F between the US and BKK via Europe with the idea of a SE Asia trip/one final F reward in March. I search from JFK to BKK would pull up routings via Europe (though the same was not true from SFO). However when searching multi-city routings it was impossible to get anything but errors when searching via Europe (despite knowing that there was plenty of availability on the dates I was searching).
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by noah
I spent awhile tonight searching award availability in F between the US and BKK via Europe with the idea of a SE Asia trip/one final F reward in March. I search from JFK to BKK would pull up routings via Europe (though the same was not true from SFO). However when searching multi-city routings it was impossible to get anything but errors when searching via Europe (despite knowing that there was plenty of availability on the dates I was searching).
Sometimes the multi-city tool does just what I want, and sometimes it doesn't Just verify the individual segments and then call in to book it with an agent.

I recently had a weird case where only some flights that were available displayed when booking with multi-city. Just to be clear, I was looking at IST-MUC as one leg of a longer trip, and found tons of availability just searching that segment. In the middle of a multi-city itinerary (I bet you can guess where I'm flying from MUC), it would only show me 2 of the 7 or so flights that were available.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:32 pm

I'm looking at booking DPS-ORD and can get award routings online DPS-BKK-Europe-ORD, but cannot get it to price out online with DPS-BKK-NRT-Europe-ORD. I was hoping to transit NRT and Europe (with less than 24 hour stops). Is this a possible routing or am I wasting my time by trying?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.