Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
#flythegreedyskiesUnited
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Got nothing to do with the CC card churning. UA gets a fixed amount per mile that they sell to Chase. UA doesn't care how Chase distributes the miles.
That is the point. UA should raise the Europe partner level to say 500K miles from the new 220K level. But then give it to top elites for 160K.

Then they get more money from Chase - and give the Top tiers a break.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
UAInsider, can you please clarify what will happen if there is a routing or airline change without changing the Origin/Destination?

Could that be done under the current award chart or would that require a reprice?
Seems to me that the question was answered in a round-about way by saying that 'so long as it doesn't involve repricing the ticket, you got the old rates.'

And most changes to routing on international tickets will change the taxes, so it involves a reprice, and thus you're screwed.

Happy to be proven wrong!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by moondog
If I am not mistaken, AA ONLY charges YQ on BA/IB Tatl flights. They didn't ding me for one penny of YQ on my (very) recent CX redemption.
AA charges YQ also for BA's non-TATL flights. I don't recall if having the AA mileage tickets issued out of Brazil is still a way out of the YQ charges on award tickets using AA miles for BA and/or IB flights.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
If you have ambitious family travel patterns this devaluation is a seismic event.
Glad this type of event is seismic in your life. I wish I had those problems and this being a seismic event.

Listen, for the folks who took 'advantage', self-inflicted by airlines, IMO, of cheap miles needed to fly FC to ASIA, this really can't be a show stopper. All prices get raised. Fact of life. Supply vs Demand obviously. UA feels you have the miles stored so you can fork them over, if not save longer. The plane is leaving with or without you everyday. Yes, it still flies even if your not in FC. Stop complaining and switch airlines, accumulate more miles or sit in Coach.

Question? Your ambitious travel plans exist because it was affordable and free with luxury? Sounds like it's not really ambitious, more like entitlement. Would you spend 12K a FC ticket to Africa for a 3 week safari for family of 5, all inclusive for $100K total? Now that's ambitious!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Population of Guam: 162,810

(Granted, a lot of tourists and, especially now, Military also come here.)
The GUM hub was a cash cow for CO and believe it still performs well for the new UA. It's not just about the population of the island but the fact they reach unique markets that they charge a premium for. Plus, the realignment of Marines offers them a lot more contractors etc... that will (and are) flying to GUM. The military/gov't presence is only increasing.

Originally Posted by eng3
I thought that CPUs could still be used for GUM. I thought that counted as Oceania vs Intra-Asia.
Guam is considered "Oceania" for award redemption but that has nothing to do with CPUs etc... You have to look at the fine print on the Upgrade page of United. However, I would not that doing a search now still shows instant upgrade eligibility. I spoke with UA folks yesterday and they confirmed the CPUs/Instant Upgrades were going away for GUM flights since they are all international.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Has anyone answered the question as to what will happen to the current award chart rates when flying on partners on award itineraries that don't involve the U.S.? If I fly Europe->Southern Africa will there be a new 70% markup in the rates even though United doesn't operate any flights between these two regions?
Mr. (or Ms.) GetSetJetSet:

The Mileage Plus Upgrade and Award Charts (linked at the top of the wiki) provide your answer.

- Old = tickets booked before 2/1/14, can be changed up until travel dates per existing UA change rules.

- New: tickets booked 2/1/14 and beyond.

Old Europe to Northern Africa on a *A award ticket: 17.5 - 30 - 45 (Y - C - F)

Old Europe to Central / Southern Africa on a *A award ticket: 30 - 45 - 60

New Europe to Northern Africa on a *A award ticket: 30 - 55 - 100

New Europe to Central / Southern Africa on a *A award ticket: 30 - 55 - 100

So, if you fly in economy (I doubt it with the GSJS FT moniker), then there is no change Europe to Southern Africa.

C will go from 45,000 to 55,000 miles.

F (as in many of the *A changes) will take a big jump from 60,000 miles to 100,000 miles. Ouch.

The new award chart also combines Northern Africa with Southern / Central Africa, which has the effect of increasing Northern Africa awards by an even greater percentage.

Lark

PS Northern Africa: Algeria Morocco Canary Islands Tunisia Libya

Central Southern Africa: Angola Madagascar Benin Malawi Botswana Mali Burkina Faso Mauritania Burundi Mauritius Cameroon Mozambique Cape Verde Namibia Central African Republic Niger Chad Nigeria Comoros Reunion Island
Congo Rwanda Cote D’Ivoire Sao Tome and Principe Democratic Republic of Congo Senegal Djibouti Seychelles Equatorial Guinea Sierra Leone Eritrea Somalia Ethiopia South Africa Gabon Sudan Gambia Swaziland Ghana Tanzania
Guinea Togo Guinea-Bissau Uganda Kenya Zambia Lesotto Zimbabwe Liberia
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
... If you have ambitious family travel patterns this devaluation is a seismic event.
Unless you had your family travel in F on miles this is nowhere near that dramatic.

Finding 3-4 seats in F was never an option so for my family travel on average the impact is about 15-20% devaluation. Not a good thing but given good earning in MP, great network, lack of YQ and decent award availability I can live with this.
DL or AA awards to europe with $500-1000 yq are of little interest to me even when 20-40k miles cheaper. The gap is not as wide as before however...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hobo13
Seems to me that the question was answered in a round-about way by saying that 'so long as it doesn't involve repricing the ticket, you got the old rates.'

And most changes to routing on international tickets will change the taxes, so it involves a reprice, and thus you're screwed.

Happy to be proven wrong!
Not necessarily change but will for sure recalculate.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
UAInsider, can you please clarify what will happen if there is a routing or airline change without changing the Origin/Destination?

Could that be done under the current award chart or would that require a reprice?
Changing carriers or routing requires a ticket reissuance and, hence, a repricing at the time of reissuance.

Date changes only require a revalidation of the ticket, not a reissuance, and therefore do not invoke a repricing.

I made the point earlier in this thread, but note that a date change can only occur within the ticket validity period, i.e., one year. If you try a date change to flights beyond a year from the date of original ticket issuance, that will require reissuance and repricing of the ticket. So you can obtain a ticket on 31 January 2014, but regardless of date changes, it must be fully used before 31 January 2015.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Listen, for the folks who took 'advantage', self-inflicted by airlines, IMO, of cheap miles needed to fly FC to ASIA, this really can't be a show stopper. All prices get raised. Fact of life. Supply vs Demand obviously. UA feels you have the miles stored so you can fork them over, if not save longer. The plane is leaving with or without you everyday. Yes, it still flies even if your not in FC. Stop complaining and switch airlines, accumulate more miles or sit in Coach.
The people I feel the worst for are the people who were building towards specific trips, like an anniversary or honeymoon. Not so much people who collect miles through sign ups/spending/manufactured spend and then figure out later where to go with them. People who had a specific plan: Getting married in a year and a half, want to go to a specific place for their honeymoon. United and Chase set up the rules: You want this trip, get these credit cards, spend $X, and you can go there! A bit of flexibility needed on travel dates, but workable.

Now the rug has been completely pulled out from under them. There's no way they can earn enough miles *in time* for the specific trip. Yes, they can spend/churn/whatever some more but it's too late. I know at least 2 people personally in this situation (and yes, I fully admit to helping them choose which credit cards to get for their trips). One getting married next summer and another planning for a 10 year anniversary trip. They will likely end up flying Y instead of J/F and still going where they want, but not in as much luxury as they wanted for such an important trip. Yes, first world problem, I know...

I have less sympathy (but still plenty - this devaluation was awful) for people who just collected miles through credit cards for as of yet unplanned trips.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I respectfully disagree. There is nothing any of us can write that will make the slightest shred of difference.

This is about money and margin calculations. Start. End. Nothing in between.

There is only one way things will change: If we walk with our wallets.

Nothing short of a massive abandonment and concurrent drop in revenue will get attention.
100% agree.

Getting together and singing Kum Ba Yah isn't going to do a darn thing.

Stop complaining and walk. I just booked 700,000 miles on partner awards the day after this was announced (TG, OZ and NH). I now have 40,000 miles left in my account. It will not grow.

Many are saying that AA is going to do the same thing. I don't know and neither do they. What I know right now is that UA has already done this--along with a plethora of other negative changes--and I am done with UA.

I had already cut back flying UA dramatically, but this is the final straw. Enough is enough.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:07 pm

I didn't read all the replies, but has anyone mentioned the increases in 2006 and 2009? Come on people, we all knew this was coming. The partner increases were unexpected though. Oh well, you can't really blame United for wanting people to fly United. Remember when there was a 500 mile minimum earning?

I believe the Southwest people have a right to complain though. They got double screwed.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I didn't read all the replies, but has anyone mentioned the increases in 2006 and 2009? Come on people, we all knew this was coming. The partner increases were unexpected though. Oh well, you can't really blame United for wanting people to fly United. Remember when there was a 500 mile minimum earning?

I believe the Southwest people have a right to complain though. They got double screwed.
I think most people in this thread would agree that if the increases were just raising everything to the new levels for United metal, partners included, that it was an unfortunate but expected devaluation. But the huge increases for partners, combined with the fact that it's going to lead to much lower availability (because everyone will now be fighting for the same number of UA metal seats) is the real problem. Honestly, I don't care too much what carrier I fly on. I appreciated the partners just for more flexibility on routes, dates, seats. But now that's gone, as I can't see myself ever spending the miles required for a partner.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
The spend minimums might cut back on those receiving elite benefits, but they won't touch the churners as those 50k credit card offers come regardless of spend level with the airline. The devaluation won't affect churners much, either, given they can just churn a bit more.
Interesting. I suppose at some level if you think of MP as a standalone business who's revenue is based on revenue per point distributed against cost of those points there is some churn that will make sense for them. The question is when does that business model conflict with the basic need to drive loyalty in high $/seat mile passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.