Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Wow.

This is appalling.

I've never seen a more brutal devaluation to any frequent flyer program to which I've been a participant.

The Star Alliance premium cabin award devaluations are excruciating. U.S. to Europe will become 70K each way for Star business, 110K each way for Star first. U.S. to Japan becomes 75K each way for Star business, 110K each way for Star first. U.S. to North/South/Central Asia goes up to 80K each way for Star business, 120/130/140K each way for Star first. And that's only some of the wide-reaching carnage.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Nov 1, 2013 at 3:10 am
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:04 am

Programs: RVT 1K
So in my rage, am I reading it right...do we need to fly before Feb1 or just redemm to get the current rates....I gotta lotta miles to burn. And if you book now in C will you be able to change to F at the current rates after Feb1?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:07 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
So in my rage, am I reading it right...do we need to fly before Feb1 or just redemm to get the current rates....I gotta lotta miles to burn. And if you book now in C will you be able to change to F at the current rates after Feb1?
Redeem before February 1. To lock in the current F rates you would need to book F now as I think if you change from a biz award to first award after February 1 it will be repriced.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Book by Feb 1. Any cabin changes should be undertaken at your own (and your account's) peril.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:09 am

Programs: UA G
The return of Employee Class
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:13 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by unavaca
The return of Employee Class
Hong Kong - Singapore
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kind of humorous but I can't seem to get the lyrics for Whipping Post out of my head (excerpted):

My friends tell me
I've been such a fool
And I have to stand by and take it baby
Alllllll for lovin' you

I drown myself in sorrow
As I look at what you've done

Unlike Gregg Allman I can run.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:21 am

In case it's helpful, here is a table summary of the Saver award changes (% change, miles roundtrip change) originating in the U.S.

http://milecards.com/7599/a-comparis...-award-charts/
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:22 am

This is horrible. Copying Delta I see.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:25 am
Suspended

People, stop your mileage runs, using the money to buy United shares. And then vote the Smi/J out from CEO seat. You can also earn from the shares you bought. Win win!

Originally Posted by boxo
MileagePlus --> MileageMinus.
YOu mean MileagePeanuts? or MileagePetits?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 1, 2013 at 4:24 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:27 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Well the old system was apply for a couple credit cards, buy some gift cards to cash them out then enjoy LH F at United's expense... funny how that didn't last, no?

winner winner chicken dinner
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by MileCards
In case it's helpful, here is a table summary of the Saver award changes (% change, miles roundtrip change) originating in the U.S.

http://milecards.com/7599/a-comparis...-award-charts/
Great chart but to show the real changes you need to look outside the rewards to/from the USA.

welcome to "Get F-ed Friendy"
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by hboxster98
Calculated at the partner level, unfortunately.
Agreed. Today on mixed UA / *A "partner" award, if there is standard award space on UA metal, then it prices out standard award rates.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Now waiting for the hammer to drop on AA (well, and Hyatt too). I can only hope the justice dept keeps the AA merger in limbo for a year. But they might even devalue anyway- no reason to not join the peso party.
AA doesn't whore it's miles out to banks and reward programs like DL and UA. It has nowhere near the amount of miles in circulation which allows it to keep things reasonable.

Unfortunately I just booked JAL on NRT-LAX instead of doing the "fun" way and transferring my UR points to fly via Europe. Wish I had done the via Europe. Still might just redeposit the AA miles for $150 and do that; or I might look at creating a fun "around the world" with 120k miles before Feb 1st hits.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chongcao
YOu mean MileagePeanuts? or MileagePetits?
MileageFemto

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.