Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: DL, WoH
MileagePesos...ftl.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:29 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mitchmu
This is different. In all prior cycles, we always said that MP was the only remaining good thing about this airline. Now it's decimated.
Actually, there would be much less moaning and keening if it had only been decimated....

Originally Posted by BearX220
They're only thinking 90 days ahead, and never mind the future repercussions (e.g. a customer base that hates them and/or prioritizes low price).

Two, this is cartel thinking. It's how Comcast thinks. It's how Chase and the other few megabanks think. They deliver badly because -- they think -- you either have no choice or the price of changing providers is too high for you. (And when it comes to so-called "hub captive" customers, as in SFO or IAH, UA may be betting right -- there are plenty of those customers on FT moaning that they have "no options." You always have options, and when you fail to exercise them you're playing into Jeff's hands.)
Again, one could argue that this shows shrewd business thinking on the part of Mr. Smisek and his team -- even as it is very annoying to the comparatively tiny cadre of FT-types.

And the once-a-year flyer? They hate everyone by turns.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. Feb. 2014

Right, now I need a quick way to burn up about 250k miles from LHR....
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hobo13
Exactly. Availability on AA is really bad. I'll concede that partner availability may be pretty good, but for those who don't live in a gateway the lack of domestic availability kills you.
It's better than good; it's fantastic!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary

Finally, a note about mixed-carrier Saver Awards. Although there will now be two charts, it will be still be possible to combine United/United Express and MileagePlus partner award flights on the same itinerary. However, the MileagePlus partner award cabin level will need to be lower than that of the United-operated segment(s) in order to take advantage of the United Saver Award price. So, for a US to Europe itinerary where the long-haul segment is in United Global First, the intra-Europe connecting segment would need to be in Business or Economy (as they typically already are) to take advantage of the United Saver Award price. Similarly, for a US to Europe itinerary where the long-haul segment is in United BusinessFirst, the intra-Europe connecting segment would need to be in Economy to take advantage of the United Saver Award price.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
What about routes like this
EWR-CDG in global first and CDG-BKK in TG business?
or SFO-NRT-BKK in global first and BKK-SYD in TG business?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by dsquared37
MileageRupies. Or are there other suggestions?
MileagePlaque.
-Something that used to be sweet turned bad.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:00 am

Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.

I booked a one way ticket from BKK to MSP using UA miles

BKK -> NRT (J)
NRT -> ORD (F)
ORD -> MSP (F)

My question is if BKK-> NRT seat opens up in F and if i upgrade to F, will my ticket be repriced using the new award chart?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by controller1
I don't see how the response was confusing. 1KVoice simply asked you to contact UA Reservations as, in the opinion of 1KVoice, they would be better able to address your question.
The last time I asked Reservations agents about an award ticket policy that is not documented by UA anywhere I could find on my own (routing rules for award tickets), I got four different answers from six different people.

I see that UA has said (emphasis added)
but UA has not provided a link to where we can read these policies online ourselves.

This is not a documented policy (I do not see a date-change carve-out at http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...s/default.aspx , http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...ticketing.aspx , or the detailed award rules at http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...vel/types.aspx ).

So UA (1) has secret rules and (2) asserts that only Reservations can tell you the rules.

I'm in transit for the next few days but when I get home on Tuesday I'll call Reservations a few times and ask them whether I should expect class-of-service changes to trigger a re-fare (the specific scenario being LH J to LH F on a round-trip award already ticketed as First because of other F segments on the trip); I'll ask about both changes made before travel has begun and after travel has begun in case the rules are different.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by u2vox
I'm coining MileagePuss. You know, with that festering cesspool of changes we've all liked.
ahem.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21707340-post279.html

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Again, one could argue that this shows shrewd business thinking on the part of Mr. Smisek and his team
Could you make this argument? I'd be curious what it would be.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 2, 2013 at 12:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colpuck
What about routes like this
EWR-CDG in global first and CDG-BKK in TG business?
or SFO-NRT-BKK in global first and BKK-SYD in TG business?
I am hoping this will be possible and the work around.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sanfran767
Are we talking about the same thing? I'm seeing Saver (30/50) and Standard (55/125) options for AC FRA->SFO on 16 Apr:

United does not have it set up to hide Standard Award when saver is available for the same itin. If you select the standard award the next screen will show you it charges Standard price but books into saver award buckets. In this case I = saver Business and X saver coach

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 2, 2013 at 11:22 am
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
We stop as of yesterday morning using our Chase MP visa cards. One of the only ways UA can feel the ouch. When I return into the office will work on using all of our MP points for multiple "once in a lifetime" trips.

At the new award point requirements there is no reason to use our Chase product to gather points. Our regular accumulation keeping status is sufficient going forward for what will be our minimal award booking needs out of UA.

That all being said devaluation has been occurring and can only see it continue with airline, car and hotel programs. Gather and spend!
+1.

I just bought some clothing through the AAdvantageShopping portal and paid with my Citi-AA card.

I also blew (some of) my UA miles on an LH F (2 x intercontinentals) itinerary instead of my plan of *paying* for a W-class or P-class fare to the US to requalify for 1k... (on a UA-plated ticket which would cost more than LH's ticket, no less!)

UA is shooting themselves in the foot, playing into LH's hands. (Wait until you see the UA earnings on LH economy fares at 50% miles flown! )

Now both of them will not have many pax flying them in the future...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Nov 2, 2013 at 11:47 am
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm not sure why people are comaining about AA availability, never had an issue, but I'm based out of ORD.

So my C class ORD-FRA-ATH will now be C to FRA them economy to ATH.

Will UA have more premium seats available? Right now only LH and LX and SAS ever have availability to Europe frim rhe US. UA is really really going downhill. You cant defend this.

I wish UA had merged with US instead of CO. Wow, can't believe I said that. At least US can take me to ATH, on a nice 330 starting this summer.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by romsdeals3
Hopefully award availability will be better..

Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
It's very easy to blame united here. And yes, some of the numbers are downright ridiculous so United absolutely take some blame.

However, there is an entire forum devoted to Manufactured Spending. The sole purpose of which is to educate people to put 10s of 1000s of dollars on their CC simply so they can fly F for free. No bleeping crap they did this. Whitecollar, legal swindling, that is. If I ran a company, I would do everything in my power to offset the float of miles that forum is creating.

You're telling me they - united - THEY gutted the program??? Please, look towards your FT cohort and point part of your finger at them. And yourselves.

And please, before you begin, I know not all of us engage in manufactured spending. But there are a motherload of folks on here that do.

And hey, if you're really upset, yeah, keep posting on FT. The internet protest generation. Do something substantive. Move spend to AA, cancel your CC. Or, you know, we're on page 39 now. You can aim for 200 and maybe that will make you happier?
I could never be bothered with manufactured spend. I was too busy being a 1K with UA with bis on UA and partner metal. UA could surely have found a way to distinguish my earned. RDMs from those generated via Byzantine schemes.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
we'll see you back soon when US/AA is done with their devaluations
You won't. He will be a kayaker. And if you and UA thought he was a parasite, wait until next year.

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
We stop as of yesterday morning using our Chase MP visa cards. One of the only ways UA can feel the ouch. When I return into the office will work on using all of our MP points for multiple "once in a lifetime" trips.

At the new award point requirements there is no reason to use our Chase product to gather points. Our regular accumulation keeping status is sufficient going forward for what will be our minimal award booking needs out of UA.

That all being said devaluation has been occurring and can only see it continue with airline, car and hotel programs. Gather and spend!
When the Barclays Arrival card shows up ( was approved today) we will stop using our Chase cards and then cancel them once I have switched fully to Barclays.

Originally Posted by sanfran767
Are we talking about the same thing? I'm seeing Saver (30/50) and Standard (55/125) options for AC FRA->SFO on 16 Apr:

So shares is giving you the choice of paying standard rates for the exact same thing.

You can't provide an example of where shares quotes only standard rates for an all non UA all star itin.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If booked as RT and want to switch to One way, is there a reprice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.