Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SW A-list
Can't really think of anyting pithy to say so I'll leave it at this: UA is crunching the numbers and executing their strategy based on UA's perception of what's best for their shareholders. With this as yet another example of "the new United," I too share crunch the numbers, factor in the intangibles, and decide if I wish to continue my loyalty to UA. I suspect I'll join soon join the growing ranks of ex-UA elites, but maybe that's what UA really wants. Interesting strategy.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raehl311
Your analysis is flawed, because it posits a price for DL award travel that doesn't really exist in practice.
Huh?

Originally Posted by Flyer IAH
Traveling with partners in DL does not exist?
Of course it exists, and availability ain't bad either. Just that you dont have a booking engine that is easy to work with.

We traveled on 100K low level flying AZ and AF J to ARN, OJ till SVO, and return from AMS via FCO.

This evening I spent 2 hours looking at each and every single direct flight to JNB from anywhere in the Star A network - NOTHING available in J and only Y is available on an IST-JNB on TK for the months from June to Sept.

Moreover, the only available J would be on Egypt Air via Cairo and Ethiopia via Africa.

So, before one makes blanket statement on how DL Skymiles are useless, one needs to have some basic fact check first.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Try booking to Europe on AA and then tell me if they haven't devalued. A year ago seats existed on most routes and dates at some point. I was looking last night for seats on AA BGI-JFK-FCO for a relative, and there are zero dates with sAAver availability JFK-FCO in coach or business. Only a month ago there were sAAver business seats on the BGI-MIA and BGI-JFK routes, now there are none. Ever. AA has used the convenient 'blame BA for the surcharges' excuse while doubling the price of many if not most of their awards.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Try booking to Europe on AA and then tell me if they haven't devalued. A year ago seats existed on most routes and dates at some point. I was looking last night for seats on AA BGI-JFK-FCO for a relative, and there are zero dates with sAAver availability JFK-FCO in coach or business. Only a month ago there were sAAver business seats on the BGI-MIA and BGI-JFK routes, now there are none. Ever. AA has used the convenient 'blame BA for the surcharges' excuse while doubling the price of many if not most of their awards.
I would suggest you sign up for EF & set up alert. Award seats may be available at any time. Generally I am very satisfied with saver availability last two years.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
I just called Chase to request my Chip-embedded Sapphire card and mentioned in passing what happened with United today and the rep said that the phone has been ringing off the hook with people calling and blaming chase for this.....who are these fools?? I mean didnt we as the cardholder population help create this debacle???
Don't be absurd. Cardholders didn't create the offers, they just accepted them. Chase and UA are responsible for this mess.

You remind me of the UA flight attendants I have heard over the years berating customers for driving the airline into bankruptcy by refusing to pay higher fares. Hey, we don't set the rates, we only buy 'em.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by planeluvr
Changes in stopovers coming Feb 1.

A stopover is permitted on roundtrip award travel only. One stopover is permitted, unless otherwise noted. Additional mileage may be required for Saver Awards within the continental U.S., Alaska and Canada. For travel booked on or after February 1, 2014, a stopover is permitted only on certain roundtrip itineraries. Additional mileage may be required.
People are saying not to blame bloggers, but on the stopover change I am definitely blaming them especially a certain fortunate blogger.. The stopovers were there to help people complete ticketing of difficult to find award inventory yet the abusive instructions I've seen in blogs are ridiculous.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
OTOH Citi absolutely gives them away. You can churn 50k business cards every few months and I got a 60k retention bonus on a card this year -- yes, SIXTY THOUSAND.
The fact remains that the miles are the hardest are earn and there is no program like Chase UR that allows one to freely transfer into AAdvantage. The only way to earn AAdvantage is to actually earn AAdvantage, either by flying or using an AAdvantage-branded card. You can't use a non-AAdvantage Citi card and transfer the points, even if you later "upgrade" to an AAdvantage branded Citi card. That means a world of difference.

Originally Posted by keepssmile
I would suggest you sign up for EF & set up alert. Award seats may be available at any time. Generally I am very satisfied with saver availability last two years.
Exactly. AAdvantage SAAver awards are easy to find and redeem with a little patience. Just booked LAXHKG First/NRTLAX Business for a mere 127,500 miles on the exact dates I wanted, and it only took about a week of smart searches.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by keitherson
So basically, this also marks the end of upgrades in terms of CPU and RPU for Intra-Asia and Northern South America. You can use a GPU, though, but you have to use it on a W class, like the rest of the world.

Great enhancement, and it's effective today!!!
That's my favorite part: dump a major devaluation on us with no advance notice.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by pinguy
Yeah, I get that. I understand this deval is huge. As I said, I'm not trying to start an argument. They're your miles use them as you want.

I've earned 650,000 miles this year and will probably get another 50k by year's end.. I look at those miles as 15-25 Y tickets - not 4-6 F tickets. It's probably just me but I would rather sit in back then spend a bunch of miles to sit up front.

Like the man said.....One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
No I appreciate that. Not everyone's travel patterns are the same. I flew UA exclusively for a couple reasons. I liked F redemption on partners to Asia as I like to vacation there and really enjoyed the F experience on NH, OZ, LH and TG. My tradeoff was far less domestic upgrades on UA vs. AA which I really didn't care much about. And I could use system wides to HKG and BKK which is not possible on AA. That said, F redemption was always pretty good on CX and occasionally I snagged an F award on JL. With the changes and AA being willing to status match me back to EXP, AA now makes more sense for me.

YMMV

Originally Posted by hobo13
But I agree, AA can be attractive for now, IF you don't want or care about domestic availability. (and many don't)
I'm Chicago and New York based so I don't care a whit about domestic availability. Overnight AA and OW just became very attractive to me.

Originally Posted by Air Houston
Although I recognize it isn't the best economic value of miles, I use a lot of miles to buy domestic coach tickets for my parents (who live on social security and a very small 401k) so they can visit or join us on our vacations. And while I am disappointed that it is now even less likely I will be able to fly LH F on an award I am thankful that the 25K domestic saver ticket was not eliminated.
Understand. For those that don't value international *A F travel that much this is no big deal. However some of us had been sticking with UA through the recent issues because of *A F travel, AA and OW are now offering a better deal (for the time being). I'm moving over because AA is now offering me a better deal for what I want that UA. Nothing personal, just a better value for my travel spend for what I want.

Originally Posted by pcharles
We need to give thanks to United. For a long time now, they've given us the opportunity to use their program to fly airlines far superior to their own. Aboard far better products, in better lounges, indulging in superior food and drinks, and with customer service that is more friendly and respectful than you get on United. Without United, many of us would have not had the opportunity to experience what a joy it could be to fly on other carriers.

United continues to be a giver. Give, give, give they do. And today, again, they gift us another example of how other airlines can be so much better.

Thank you United, thank you for allowing us to know what a joy it could be to fly with another airline.
True. I've flown some fantastic *A airlines in F thanks to MP. However, AA and OW will still allow me to fly CX in F (for now) so AA represents a better value for me.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 2, 2013 at 2:01 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
HKG-SIN CPU's still apply after Feb1?

Not clear on this, do CPU's still apply on this route after feb1?

Tahnks
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:28 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by temecularedwing
Can't really think of anyting pithy to say so I'll leave it at this: UA is crunching the numbers and executing their strategy based on UA's perception of what's best for their shareholders. With this as yet another example of "the new United," I too share crunch the numbers, factor in the intangibles, and decide if I wish to continue my loyalty to UA. I suspect I'll join soon join the growing ranks of ex-UA elites, but maybe that's what UA really wants. Interesting strategy.
More like, "How can we maximize what the shareholders and C-suite get this quarter?" The problem is that maximizing short-term profits typically is done at the expense of long-term viability--shortsightedness at its best.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
This evening I spent 2 hours looking at each and every single direct flight to JNB from anywhere in the Star A network - NOTHING available in J and only Y is available on an IST-JNB on TK for the months from June to Sept.

Moreover, the only available J would be on Egypt Air via Cairo and Ethiopia via Africa.

So, before one makes blanket statement on how DL Skymiles are useless, one needs to have some basic fact check first.
Useless may be too strong a word. But I have heard Skypesos called worse too...

I don't frequent the DL forum that much, but aren't you the poster who constantly says 'I can find award tickets', only to have everyone else disagree with you?

Hopefully some of the helpful souls in the UA forum can help you find some award tickets on *. How many miles do you have?

What is your origin? Is JNB your final destination?

June, July, August, September of 2014.

DL has a direct flight from ATL, right? How does summer 2014 availability look on their flight?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by keepssmile
I got exactly what I wanted and had a wide range of choices on AA metal when I booked this month's Europe trip for 4, back in March. Award seats available now vs March is no comparison.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
No.

1The following restrictions apply to upgrades on flights to/from Northern South America and within Asia departing on or after February 1, 2014: (1) Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable; (2) Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013; (3) There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), PriorityClub (Platinum), BA, AA, CO, Hilton Honor, SPG
One thing I want to point out

South Asia (HKG example) ✈ Australia/New Zealand: From 30K to 17.5K.

Am I looking it correctly??

While

South Asia ✈ Japan: From 15K to 22.5K... it is crazy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.