Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 8, 16, 4:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aacharya
Wiki Link
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type canít change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin canít change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 1, 13, 6:51 pm

What does the domestic stopover change mean? I've never done an award redemption on UA with a stopover but was planning on doing so for the first time for a long trip coming up. I thought stopovers were "free"?
Old Nov 1, 13, 6:53 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. Feb. 2014

Sorry to those of you who are Chase loyalists. And good luck to you complaining there. But for those of us that HAVE to travel by air every week and are subject to the UA stronghold, we're not crying one damn tear for you. But this is most appalling in our markets. We have no choice. We've been loyal....even more do in the post-merger environment. Tell me why I should continue? I now fly each week to an AA fortress. I'm seriously considering AA for the first Time. It's not like I get a better in flight experience on UA.
Old Nov 1, 13, 6:53 pm

What is making this more aggravating is I am trying to get 2 First award seats from SFO to FRA on United metal. I looked from February all the way to September and not one flight available for 2 saver awards (even though First is empty for a lot of flights)!!!
Old Nov 1, 13, 6:55 pm

Will UA now put more seats into the FF basket so we can use our miles on UA.......

OK....stop laughing.......I was only wishing......

And this on the day of the dead......
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
MileagePlus has turned into MileagePenetration. (tm)
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by kit125 View Post
Sorry to those of you who are Chase loyalists. And good luck to you complaining there. But for those of us that HAVE to travel by air every week and are subject to the UA stronghold, we're not crying one damn tear for you.
You should be, because what goes around comes around. If UA is willing to treat customers who earn their ff miles through spend like crap, why should they treat their customers who earn them through flying any better? Money is money in the end, regardless of where it comes from, and what this signals is UA's belief that it can mistreat its high-value customers with impunity because they don't have any better airline options.
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kit125 View Post
Sorry to those of you who are Chase loyalists. And good luck to you complaining there. But for those of us that HAVE to travel by air every week and are subject to the UA stronghold, we're not crying one damn tear for you.
United is alive thanks in part to the billions from Chase. And where does Chase get their money from? Indeed, from the "despised" card holders.
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by claurianta2 View Post
Well, I guess this is an admission by UA that they really are worth less than their partners.
Not loyal to any carrier, and I apologize to all that are affected.

There partner's provide a much better product, I guess it is an admission that they can't match them.
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:06 pm

Programs: United Gold, Delta Silver, SPG Gold
I find the recent devaluation ironic given the videos of the benefits of Star Alliance and partner award booking prior to the safety video demonstrations a month ago. I usually fly United because I fly mostly TPAC flights and have always been able to use GPU's for V and W fare class tickets out of SFO. I will evaluate switching to Delta as they are making a push towards Seattle being an Asia gateway for them, although their SWU's are near impossible redemptions
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy View Post
MileagePlus has turned into MileagePenetration. (tm)
Best one I've heard all day.... hahahah
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:09 pm

Programs: This one time I got upgraded ord-bos
Here's what I did upon hearing the news: booked a SQ F award to replace a CX award I had already reserved (luckily, through BA so the avios refund won't cost too much). Chase card will be cancelled imminently.

And I'll be looking for additional ways to burn my remaining miles ASAP, ALL on *A partners. Looks like my parents will be taking that Australia trip they've always wanted. Not a single mile will be spent on UA awards, and my future loyalty is gone. Now I've never gone above 60k miles/year on UA metal, but look for that to drop. What's the point?
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:13 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by claurianta2 View Post
Well, I guess this is an admission by UA that they really are worth less than their partners.
We need to give thanks to United. For a long time now, they've given us the opportunity to use their program to fly airlines far superior to their own. Aboard far better products, in better lounges, indulging in superior food and drinks, and with customer service that is more friendly and respectful than you get on United. Without United, many of us would have not had the opportunity to experience what a joy it could be to fly on other carriers.

United continues to be a giver. Give, give, give they do. And today, again, they gift us another example of how other airlines can be so much better.

Thank you United, thank you for allowing us to know what a joy it could be to fly with another airline.
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K&1.88MM, MR lifetime Gold, HZ PC,
Ouch. This seriously hurts. I currently pay 70K miles to fly SFO-FRA-NRT-BKK-HKG (as an example) on LH F and TG F all the way through. Which is pretty awesome because I'm essentially paying 10K miles to upgrade from C to F (since it's 60K in C).

As painful as this is, and for me it halves the value of miles, we have been spoiled for a long time. It honestly makes no sense for F to be just 10K more than C on that route.

Unfortunately I was getting a great deal until now. I won't be getting it going forward. The balance of the value exchange has been altered, and ultimately we each have to determine whether it's changed enough to change our flying patterns.

And really, hands up anyone who didn't expect this to happen?
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:15 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
United is alive thanks in part to the billions from Chase. And where does Chase get their money from? Indeed, from the "despised" card holders.

Why are the card holders despised. I currently have three cards (churning) but I am also a multi million miler, CO Platinum & 1K for 10 years straight. I do both the butt in seat mileage accrual and the bonuses from the cards...

If that gets us despised, then you guys are seriously missing out on some free miles. If you think that today's blood bath is because of chase cards, you are most likely mistaken

Lastly, if you are a UA flyer, and mainly fly on UA metal, today was hardly a bloodbath at all. If you primarily fly *A carriers using UA miles, then ... today was not a good day
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Yes, a restaurant or grocery store could get away with it if the DOJ had made it possible for there to only be three restaurants or three groceries stores in your entire town.
There is an economic reality to consider:

When FF programs were best, airlines were losing money and fuel was cheap.

It was never sustainable.

Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
What is making this more aggravating is I am trying to get 2 First award seats from SFO to FRA on United metal. I looked from February all the way to September and not one flight available for 2 saver awards (even though First is empty for a lot of flights)!!!
One can hope that will change on Feb 1.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 1, 13 at 9:49 pm Reason: merge

Search this Thread
Search Engine: