FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1517647-changes-mileageplus-award-upgrade-policies-eff-3-feb-2014-a.html)

abaheti Nov 1, 2013 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 21710904)
Wait, UA has mileage redemption partners intra-India?

I thought I had to get to DEL/BOM then buy separate tickets with cash to get around the country.....

Good point. I've typically done the same thing or used other *A than UA to get in/out of HYD. Online I see Jet Airways show up as a UA flight number, but Jet isn't part of *A (and Air India seems far away to me still). So there really aren't partners. So, what's the price for an award? Can we redeem on Jet because it is a code share or is that restricted? (When I select cash search, I get UA to Jet (or even UA to flyDubai). When I select award, I get Thai.)

claurianta2 Nov 1, 2013 5:49 pm

Well, I guess this is an admission by UA that they really are worth less than their partners.

UA Fan Nov 1, 2013 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by abaheti (Post 21711335)
I've typically done the same thing or used other *A than UA to get in/out of HYD. Online I see Jet Airways show up as a UA flight number, but Jet isn't part of *A. So, what's the price for an award?

I think it is the same as Star awards. Fortunately the old CO rule of mixing non-alliance partners with alliance partners on an award carried on.

pkoo Nov 1, 2013 5:51 pm

What does the domestic stopover change mean? I've never done an award redemption on UA with a stopover but was planning on doing so for the first time for a long trip coming up. I thought stopovers were "free"?

kit125 Nov 1, 2013 5:53 pm

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. Feb. 2014

Sorry to those of you who are Chase loyalists. And good luck to you complaining there. But for those of us that HAVE to travel by air every week and are subject to the UA stronghold, we're not crying one damn tear for you. But this is most appalling in our markets. We have no choice. We've been loyal....even more do in the post-merger environment. Tell me why I should continue? I now fly each week to an AA fortress. I'm seriously considering AA for the first Time. It's not like I get a better in flight experience on UA.

Kraut Nov 1, 2013 5:53 pm

What is making this more aggravating is I am trying to get 2 First award seats from SFO to FRA on United metal. I looked from February all the way to September and not one flight available for 2 saver awards (even though First is empty for a lot of flights)!!! :td::td::td::td::td::td::td:

LAXlocal Nov 1, 2013 5:55 pm

Will UA now put more seats into the FF basket so we can use our miles on UA.......

OK....stop laughing.......I was only wishing......

And this on the day of the dead......

fireworksboy Nov 1, 2013 6:00 pm

MileagePlus has turned into MileagePenetration. (tm)

artemis Nov 1, 2013 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by kit125 (Post 21711356)
Sorry to those of you who are Chase loyalists. And good luck to you complaining there. But for those of us that HAVE to travel by air every week and are subject to the UA stronghold, we're not crying one damn tear for you.

You should be, because what goes around comes around. If UA is willing to treat customers who earn their ff miles through spend like crap, why should they treat their customers who earn them through flying any better? Money is money in the end, regardless of where it comes from, and what this signals is UA's belief that it can mistreat its high-value customers with impunity because they don't have any better airline options.

Dieuwer Nov 1, 2013 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by kit125 (Post 21711356)
Sorry to those of you who are Chase loyalists. And good luck to you complaining there. But for those of us that HAVE to travel by air every week and are subject to the UA stronghold, we're not crying one damn tear for you.

United is alive thanks in part to the billions from Chase. And where does Chase get their money from? Indeed, from the "despised" card holders.

singal3 Nov 1, 2013 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by claurianta2 (Post 21711338)
Well, I guess this is an admission by UA that they really are worth less than their partners.

Not loyal to any carrier, and I apologize to all that are affected.

There partner's provide a much better product, I guess it is an admission that they can't match them.

tksr80 Nov 1, 2013 6:06 pm

I find the recent devaluation ironic given the videos of the benefits of Star Alliance and partner award booking prior to the safety video demonstrations a month ago. I usually fly United because I fly mostly TPAC flights and have always been able to use GPU's for V and W fare class tickets out of SFO. I will evaluate switching to Delta as they are making a push towards Seattle being an Asia gateway for them, although their SWU's are near impossible redemptions

djtsukasa Nov 1, 2013 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy (Post 21711394)
MileagePlus has turned into MileagePenetration. (tm)

Best one I've heard all day.... hahahah

nycsfo Nov 1, 2013 6:09 pm

Here's what I did upon hearing the news: booked a SQ F award to replace a CX award I had already reserved (luckily, through BA so the avios refund won't cost too much). Chase card will be cancelled imminently.

And I'll be looking for additional ways to burn my remaining miles ASAP, ALL on *A partners. Looks like my parents will be taking that Australia trip they've always wanted. Not a single mile will be spent on UA awards, and my future loyalty is gone. Now I've never gone above 60k miles/year on UA metal, but look for that to drop. What's the point?

pcharles Nov 1, 2013 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by claurianta2 (Post 21711338)

We need to give thanks to United. For a long time now, they've given us the opportunity to use their program to fly airlines far superior to their own. Aboard far better products, in better lounges, indulging in superior food and drinks, and with customer service that is more friendly and respectful than you get on United. Without United, many of us would have not had the opportunity to experience what a joy it could be to fly on other carriers.

United continues to be a giver. Give, give, give they do. And today, again, they gift us another example of how other airlines can be so much better.

Thank you United, thank you for allowing us to know what a joy it could be to fly with another airline.