Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:40 pm

Norther S. America & Inter-Asia changes

Originally Posted by jfk747
Copa cpu upgrades gone,Intra asia cpu upgrades gone.
While that is not exactly true... it looks like UA operated flights to Northern South America and Inter-Asia flights are no longer eligible for CPU, RPU, or GPU below a W fare.
Copa flights to Central and South America should still be eligible... but could change on a dime.
See here:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx

Specifically "The following restrictions apply to upgrades on flights to/from Northern South America and within Asia departing on or after February 1, 2014: (1) Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable; (2) Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013; (3) There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013."

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
So basically, this also marks the end of upgrades in terms of CPU and RPU for Intra-Asia and Northern South America. You can use a GPU, though, but you have to use it on a W class, like the rest of the world.

Great enhancement, and it's effective today!!!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
I may have missed it in the 48 page long thread, but UA also seems to have messed up upgrade policies for Northern South America. After Feb 1, CPUs are no longer applicable, RPU's and GPU's cannot be requested after today (November 1st). So, does this mean that you can never get upgraded unless you purchase that class fare, even with upgrade instruments like RPUs and GPUs? And no co-pay exemption for Premiers. What should we do then?

"1The following restrictions apply to upgrades on flights to/from Northern South America and within Asia departing on or after February 1, 2014: (1) Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable; (2) Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013; (3) There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013."
Ouch, I just saw this. I fly to Colombia 3-4 times a year, so that's quite the hit.

If DL does upgrades on this route that's a strong incentive to switch. AA doesn't really work for me, and everyone knows DL miles are a bear to use, but since UA just made their miles worth much less that advantage has diminished.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:46 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I was going to match to united but now! no way united sucks
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by keitherson
So basically, this also marks the end of upgrades in terms of CPU and RPU for Intra-Asia and Northern South America. You can use a GPU, though, but you have to use it on a W class, like the rest of the world.
I'm sorry, but I can't see why one would ever want to waste a GPU on a relatively short flight in domestic style business. AA has such a better route network to Central/South America, the opportunity for CPU was a great incentive to book with UA.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1
weee, just burned majority of my miles for a trip in December, treating everyone in family to business class, f it. =)

I dodged a big one thinking about transferring over 300k UR points to United just last week.
So, which program are you going to transfer them to? Hyatt? Marriott? British? Amtrak?

UA still will be the superior option in many regards...
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by abaheti
Very unfortunate because UA doesn't fly to certain cities I need to reach; for that *A was a great thing (and part of the point of an alliance, right?).

For India, I'm curious about how it will work trying to get to cities other than BOM or DEL (where UA flies) -- fly UA saver business/first to BOM/DEL and then to another city in India on a partner in coach sounds like it would work.

But UA in business and partner in business means the higher fees?

What about UA business saver to BKK, then Thai coach/business to India (HYD, for example)? Would that count as a Thai *A award and raise the whole price?

And as a general question, does the partner segment have to be LOWER than the UA long-haul segment (meaning UA first and partner business) or does it have to be COACH for the partner no matter what?
=============================================

I have the same predicament trying to book flights out of IAD to BOM, all UA flights route out of EWR and there is never any saver availability to Mumbai. Only available are standard awards (no matter how last minute or how far ahead you are looking at).

It used to be better when we had *A options directly available out of IAD. Now with the increased mileage requirement, plus LH's last minute award seat release policy, the only "affordable" pricing seems 140K RT on UA or 160K RT on *A partner for Business class seats.

There is nothing we can do about going to BOM or DEL rather than just pay in Y class (save money) or shell all of our miles in Business (First just went out of our reach)
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
What's the point of Star Alliance? Honestly, this is awful and I love the sad response from UAInsider, basically they are telling us, you were lucky all these years, too bad, deal with it.

UA once again, has no customer service skills. We are being told, we were lucky and UA has to do this

UA, will you UA provide better service in J and F to justify the change? Service, Food, IT systems have gone downhill, but prices increase.

UA, the spin you put on this, is unbelievable. UA, you have brought down the StarAlliance. Mr. Smisek, I'm sure you have enjoyed the emails of all my premium receipts that I send you, you responded once and wanted to see more, I sent you more, but I think you ignore them. Honestly, I will stop sending them to you. You don't care, I dont. UA has lost 35K in revenue from me, next year, it will be more.
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Hi everyone, as promised, some updates and clarifications for you:....
Originally Posted by DWFI
Aaron - if I book an award in Jan 2014 and then make changes in Feb or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage reqs. or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies. ....

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
So a change in a travel date of award tickets booked under "the old system" will not require a "re-price" of the existing award tickets but what if the award is say on LH and they cancel their flight and one now needs to be put on another carrier? The way I read it is that under this scenario, "the new system" comes into play but this is no fault of the customer so how will this be handled? Will the pax be SOL of will United be proactive and customer service focused on this.

Also, will all of the new award pricing issues/scenarios be rolled out to the employees who handle reservations (both ground and phone) or will it be similar to what we have now where there are still agents who imho are not properly trained.

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I'm sorry, but I can't see why one would ever want to waste a GPU on a relatively short flight in domestic style business. AA has such a better route network to Central/South America, the opportunity for CPU was a great incentive to book with UA.
Well now you don't even have a choice! See, United is being flyer friendly!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
I was going to match to united but now! no way united sucks
Seriously, why were you even thinking of doing that, when many people are thinking of moving away from UA??
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Although I recognize it isn't the best economic value of miles, I use a lot of miles to buy domestic coach tickets for my parents (who live on social security and a very small 401k) so they can visit or join us on our vacations. And while I am disappointed that it is now even less likely I will be able to fly LH F on an award I am thankful that the 25K domestic saver ticket was not eliminated.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by raehl311
Ouch, I just saw this. I fly to Colombia 3-4 times a year, so that's quite the hit.

If DL does upgrades on this route that's a strong incentive to switch. AA doesn't really work for me, and everyone knows DL miles are a bear to use, but since UA just made their miles worth much less that advantage has diminished.
I'm hoping this means they are going to upgrade the equipment to Bogota, as they did to Lima. Otherwise, the front cabin on the BOG flights will go out totally empty. GPU upgrade on a W fare for a domestic F seat on a 4-5 hour flight? I think not.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Jet Airways?
Not searchable on UA.com?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:58 pm

Let me make sure I get this straight. flying IAD-IAH-LOS-ADD-JNB-CPT (with IAH-LOS on UA 142 in business, and partner segments in economy) would price at 70k each way (on the united-only chart), while flying IAD-JNB-CPT (On SA 208 with all segments in business) would cost 80k each way. For a couple of two flying round-trip, that means they would be incentivized by 40k miles to take the first, absurd, routing.

It also means there is no way to get from the US to CPT in first on the United-only chart, since UA does not fly directly to the southern Africa region with a first-class product (UA 142 is 2-class)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.