FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1517647-changes-mileageplus-award-upgrade-policies-eff-3-feb-2014-a.html)

cesco.g Nov 1, 2013 12:57 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 21705738)
You can thank Chase freeloaders for this.

And WHO sold the miles to Chase, cranking the miles printing press???

Kacee Nov 1, 2013 12:58 am

So what are the odds we see little or no new post Feb. 1, 2014 award inventory before the new redemption levels kick in?

travelinmanS Nov 1, 2013 12:58 am

This only changes when people like us, who chase after miles and status, become kayak shoppers and only book the best possible itinerary for our travel needs regardless of airline. Until then people like Aaron have us over a barrel because really, where are you going to go?

Peter M Nov 1, 2013 1:01 am

SMI/J "Changes you will like."
No we don't like, so why say that at the start of the safety video for years?:(

tmeyer Nov 1, 2013 1:02 am

I just wonder if UA now allows me to fly UA metal FRA-SFO-NRT to get the lower UA redemption levels.

From europe there is hardly any way around flying star alliance to two thirds of the world.

kluau88 Nov 1, 2013 1:03 am

Ouch ouch ouch!!

70K to 130K for a one way *A US-South Asia (86% increase)
17.5k to 30K for a one way *A South Asia to South Asia (71% increase)

I am speechless.

What is the point of having the Alliance when we get penalized trying to go somewhere United can't get us???

Flyer Friendly? I think not.

skywalkerLAX Nov 1, 2013 1:04 am

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 21705820)

FWIW just replaced all of the FF# in my future intl reservations to my Avianca number.

The answer is: That's worth nothing.

You can't even get status on Avianca unless you fly a certain amount of miles/segments with them.

Also, LifeMiles are too cheap to buy. It makes zero sense to collect there.

Do Singapore Airlines and fly Suites.

mre5765 Nov 1, 2013 1:04 am

Can't believe how few posts there are.

Worst devaluation I've ever seen.

Glad I redeemed four one ways on LH F TATLs this year. Doubt I will ever see the inside of an LH F cabin again. A very sad day.

belfordrocks Nov 1, 2013 1:05 am

Originally Posted by tmeyer (Post 21705844)
I just wonder if UA now allows me to fly UA metal FRA-SFO-NRT to get the lower UA redemption levels.

I'm pretty sure that is the idea, filling an extra seat on their own metal has a lot less marginal cost compared to paying LH to do the same.

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 21705850)
The answer is: That's worth nothing.

You can't even get status on Avianca unless you fly a certain amount of miles/segments with them.

Also, LifeMiles are too cheap to buy. It makes zero sense to collect there.

Do Singapore Airlines and fly Suites.

Or Aegean and get domestic lounge access and a semi-decent-ish award chart.

kalendil Nov 1, 2013 1:05 am

This explains the 4 segment limits to Asia... they didn't want us burning our miles in an enjoyable fashion.

pigx5 Nov 1, 2013 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 21705735)
110,000 OW for *A F to Europe. That's an increase of 43,500 miles (64%) each way.

We should just get over it. ;)

dsquared37 Nov 1, 2013 1:07 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 21705808)
From first to worst! Each and every change is starting to convince me that I shouldn't spend the extra $$ to keep 1K for another year.

I just made that purchase. At least I also used the last of my ecerts.

Talk about pulling the rug out from under us. Ridiculous.

This move, when taken in consideration with the cuts to RDMs, marks the end of an epoch. It's like comet impact destructive.

jswong Nov 1, 2013 1:12 am

Overall this is horrible but there is a little goodness

My most common award is F New Zealand-Europe going from 90 to 115
I currently have an F NZ-India award which will go from 60 to 110

But I also do awards to South Asia which in F has gone down from 60 to 40 and in C from 45 to 30

Jeff

vandrei Nov 1, 2013 1:13 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 21705830)
This only changes when people like us, who chase after miles and status, become kayak shoppers and only book the best possible itinerary for our travel needs regardless of airline. Until then people like Aaron have us over a barrel because really, where are you going to go?

IAD is a UA fortress hub. Where else do you go? DCA? BWI?

Or maybe travelers who don't have to travel (like leisure travelers) could just stop traveling.

luv2ctheworld Nov 1, 2013 1:15 am

Wow... "Flyer Friendly"... the marketing department really missed the mark on that one.

Then again, UA in general has missed the mark on a lot of things nowadays.

How they could associate "Friendly" in any capacity for marketing is laughable.