Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by penner42
But that's not the problem here. I don't mind flying UA on my long-hauls. The problem is: If I want to fly to ATH, UA doesn't go there. So I go (for example) JFK-VIE-ATH, with JFK-VIE in UA F. But then, because I have to take a partner VIE-ATH, I have to pay the full F partner price for US-Europe.

Another consideration is the new segment limit on award tickets. If we have to restrict ourselves to UA, that may require more segments to get places, making some awards impossible.
It also kills a lot of the flexibility. It isn't just that some other Star Alliance carriers have a better product...they allow for more options. UA relies on LH for TATL lift, but now all those flights just got a LOT more expensive (points).

Originally Posted by Madone59
Sorry if this has been covered but if I want to fly to HKT and take UA all the way to BKK in F or C and connect to HKT on TG will the WHOLE ticket be in the partner award category?
We don't know for certain. It is not clear.
Some indication that if you fly the TG in economy class, you will be charge at the UA rate. If you fly the BKK->HKT leg in C or F, then it will be the Star Alliance rate.

We need clarification, but I wouldn't count on any soon.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by keepssmile
With devaluations in almost every aspect, I highly doubt upgrades will remain intact in the near future.
Then, for me, that will be the time to move on.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Burned 280,000 miles for my folks for J to India with a stopover at home & one way to Hawaii and a return on miles. I might do a weekend in Asia to get LH F on the old chart. This sucks ....
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
I seriously doubt that FF program issues have any bearing on the DOJ's objections to the AA/US merger. The objection is all about market concentration, service cuts, and fare increases.
IMO it's not the actual FF program issues (which as noted in other places the DOT has explicitly excluded from their purview). It's the fact that UA is following DL essentially to a tee and the moves are not friendly. If anything it suggest cartel-esque behavior, and before everyone flames me I'm not saying DL and UA are a cartel, but the reality they continue to make service cuts, increase fares, and devalue their programs nearly identically and in each instance to the detriment of the customer. This is just one more example government lawyers can point to as a likely anti-consumer action to occur if the merger is allowed.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
If Hyatt devalues, then Chase is in some serious trouble.
yep.

Originally Posted by CDKing
Who put 4)Contact DOT: http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/air-t...t-comment-form in the Wiki? Do these even count towards hits against UA when FF program's dont fall under the jursdiction of DOT?
i don't think this would be against dot rules anyways. ua is perfectly allowed to change award charts with advance notice.

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Mrs. EX and I have over a million miles left in our accounts. We "hoarded" these in order to enjoy award flying now that we are retired and not adding miles to the accounts because we are not paying for flights any longer. We did enjoy our flights on partner airlines and were looking forward to the next 5 years of doing so. Now we are seriously impacted. Actually we are screwed. No way we fly UA again, and they can't even offer anything between Europe and Tokyo.
Awful

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Everyone keeps talking as if this merger is a done deal. If anything its actions like this that make it less likely. UA is handing the gov't a treasure trove of ammunition in showing the mergers being negative for customers, not to mention that DL and UA seem to be moving in lockstep so the gov't lawyers argument can very easily point to what has happened and suggest that allowing the merger will directly result in AA/US doing the same thing which is not customer friendly
It is! I could be wrong of course but we will see very soon.

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
to be honest.. If Hyatt devalues next year Chase will have to take some sort of action. I wouldn't mind payment $10 more in annual fee for better redemption rates, like 1:1.5 to UA and Hyatt for example.
No way transfer ratios are going to go up.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
160K business class rt still not bad for Southeast Asia. Hopefully award availability will be better..
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Superguy
Do you miss me now?

Yes, I do. Tilton may not have been too loved at the time he took over and made some unpopular changes particularly with the employee groups, but UA was in very dire straits and put it on the path to sustainable profitability.

By the time $misek came along to consummate a transaction, UA was profitable. $misek took both airlines and threw them back in the gutter with his arrogance and desire to CO-ify everything.

Tilton may have been a shark, $misek is Cthulu.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
yep.

i don't think this would be against dot rules anyways. ua is perfectly allowed to change award charts with advance notice.

Awful

It is! I could be wrong of course but we will see very soon.

No way transfer ratios are going to go up.
One can dream!! That would be nice, like I said I wouldn't mind payment a higher premium on them if it comes down to it.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I'm not sure we want to point UA to AC's mileage-policies. They were not great redemption levels to begin with and they come with hefty fuel surcharges. If you read the AC forum, you'll realize it's an even worse program.
It is, or it was, even a worse program?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by romsdeals3
160K business class rt still not bad for Southeast Asia. Hopefully award availability will be better..
Stage 2....
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer
I'm not sure we want to point UA to AC's mileage-policies. They were not great redemption levels to begin with and they come with hefty fuel surcharges. If you read the AC forum, you'll realize it's an even worse program.
i'd stay given the devaluation ap is sounding a much more attractive program... analysis coming up shortly.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:40 pm

Hate to say it as I've been a huge proponent of Chase and always resisted getting into the AmEx/MR game, however this has just pushed me to that point with Chase/UR losing huge value with this UA devaluation. Thanks again United, for being so great at being awful that you can drag down the best with you.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: SQ
Chase isn't going to do anything, especially not with UR points. I would assume that the majority of UR redemptions are through their booking outlet where 1 mile = 1 cent, and this is something that Chase already knows.

Just because skilled travelers will redeem them for Hyatt and UA doesn't mean that the majority of UR holders are skilled travelers.

The issue would be with the co-branded credit cards. Still, I'm sure that enough people get suckered in to the 'free bag' marketing to not even think about miles. Chase hires smart enough people to know this, and probably won't lose significant money from this devaluation.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bubb1
I don't understand these posts citing the bogeyman blogger and followers that "inevitably lead UA to do this". I think this vastly overestimates the impact of this crowd on the bottom line, plus it underestimates the scale and intention of these changes to the award chart.

There were many alternative options to shake off this particular problem if that was the impetus, but the sweeping changes announced today go way beyond that. I'm inclined to apply Occam's razor here and agree with the earlier posts citing the 10K and the obvious accounting benefits of drastic increases in redemption prices. We have an executive team looking for short term wins in an area of the business typically tied to long term loyalty. We'll see how that goes over the next year or two...
The desperation to goose up numbers has become quite remarkable when they are even desperate for bag fees from partner airline Star Golds. Sooner or later, those reductions in free baggage allowance (and an increase in bag fees) will hit UA*Gs too.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The glory years of flying are over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.