Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by dsauch
my guess is yes - why would there be an exclusion. The rule is covering any partner segments - forced or optional.
Yeah. That's the biggest problem with this for me. While I like flying partners, my United GF flight was just fine returning from my honeymoon... but without partners, there was no getting to JTR or JMK, and likely no way to return from GVA due to availability (went GVA-FRA on LH before FRA-SFO on UA). It severely limits available options.

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

the life of upgrades for me is basically over and that is bound to be a hard adjustment. i guess the plan from here on out will be to fly TCON twice a year and pay $1000 r/t for F, rather than 10x a year on N/G/K/L fares and get upgraded 70% of the time. maybe now i'll actually plan my trips better and stay out on the east coast for a week, enjoy real time with my family, instead of spending more time traveling than i do at my destination. i'll get to know my own neighborhood better, and take some fun road trips around the western USA. we'll take a big international vacation every couple of years, and either do it when C is on sale (thanksgiving/christmas) or just fly in Y and focus on the destination. the more i think about it, the more i think i should call $mi/J and thank him for liberating me from the hamster wheel so efficiently in the last 18 months.
Many of the same thoughts here. Quietly, we long for the day that we actually spend more than a weekend somewhere. Maybe Jeff just gave us the reason.

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Having just blown 270,000 miles for 2 F tickets to Europe and cancelling the rest of my paid C in Business to Europe (2) and India (1) on United for the balance of the year I shall be returning after 22 years to BA, ANA and Lufthansa for my travel needs. Domestic will probably remain UA but they lost me for International!!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
You really think AC will not follow UA and announce a massive devaluation as well??
AC has already devalued for next year. And with this UA deval AP still has better award chart levels for MOST regions. Not saying that they're won't be a change in 2015, but atm AP will soon be better than UA.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I think they're putting some of their corporate contracts at jeopardy with this move as well. I work for a consulting firm and we're supposed to use DL or UA (thankfully AA prices the same and I know how to get around the system and just book AA).

Getting to keep all the miles we earn and use them for our personal travel is one of the big perks of traveling M-Th every week and they know that and use it as a selling point when recruiting. I anticipate that there will be significant complaints going to our own corporate travel department over this move by UA and there may be a push for them to approach AA.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Exactly. As a "gamer" (mostly with other airlines/programs) I'm just thankful I even had a chance to momentarily live somewhat beyond my means. Given the circumstances, it was bound to happen.
Absolutely.
I am not sure what changed - perhaps some *A agreement got revised and all those freloading in F started costing UA real money or perhaps other airlines followed SQ and asked for significant $ for each award seat.

Since UA printed so many miles for CC they were on the hook to either block partner awards like SQ and old starnet or increase mileage and decrease demand. The latter makes more sense.

It is foolish to think this is UA-specific. SkyTeam doesn't even have F (and carriers there hit you with crazy charts and fees) and OW has major partner copays.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by augustus21
If you hold a Chase card, give them a call. I called up the Sapphire Preferred team, voiced my concern over the increase cost of miles, and I was given 5,000 courtesy points for my trouble. I spit out all of the numbers (like the 63% increase to fly non-UA J to Europe) and that feedback is going to be passed on to United.

Are you a long-term Chase Sapphire holder?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:04 pm

I bet Barclays has the most to gain from this, the gap between Chase and all others has significantly gotten smaller. They should expect to see much more applications for the Arrival card..
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:05 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Is anyone else racing to book award flights to burn off the last of your miles before the award space is all used up by people racing to book award flights to burn off the last of your miles before the award space is all used up?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
On the plus side -- I guess -- is that it seems a revenue-based reward chart will not be happening anytime soon. If that was implemented, C/F awards would have been impossible. Now they're just expensive. I guess that's something.....

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Is anyone else racing to book award flights to burn off the last of your miles before the award space is all used up by people racing to book award flights to burn off the last of your miles before the award space is all used up?
Some have posted that the space is either already gone or UA is blocking....

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 1, 2013 at 7:56 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I normally post on the DL forum but someone over there linked this thread. Feeling sorry for UA FFers. This devaluation is even bigger than anything DL has done recently and I thought those were bad enough. This is what happens when the airlines are allowed to merge into bigger and bigger bullies and get down to 3.5 (US being the .5, c'mon they suck) and soon just 3. The consumer gets screwed big time. The grass isn't any greener anywhere else.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:08 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by hobo13
Some have posted that the space is either already gone or UA is blocking....
I was able to snag a couple of Int'l XC tix on LH asap after this announcement. ^
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Exactly. This is why UA killed EF and why UAInsider did not comment on such a huge change a few days ago. UA doesn't want anyone to see that they are going to hold and will be holding seats back until 2/1. I suspect EF may get its access back on 2/1
You can still use EF to search for awards, and the United.com search engine is pretty good for this too.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't understand these posts citing the bogeyman blogger and followers that "inevitably lead UA to do this". I think this vastly overestimates the impact of this crowd on the bottom line, plus it underestimates the scale and intention of these changes to the award chart.

There were many alternative options to shake off this particular problem if that was the impetus, but the sweeping changes announced today go way beyond that. I'm inclined to apply Occam's razor here and agree with the earlier posts citing the 10K and the obvious accounting benefits of drastic increases in redemption prices. We have an executive team looking for short term wins in an area of the business typically tied to long term loyalty. We'll see how that goes over the next year or two...
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by augustus21
If you hold a Chase card, give them a call. I called up the Sapphire Preferred team, voiced my concern over the increase cost of miles, and I was given 5,000 courtesy points for my trouble. I spit out all of the numbers (like the 63% increase to fly non-UA J to Europe) and that feedback is going to be passed on to United.
Tried 3 different times.. nada lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.