FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1517647-changes-mileageplus-award-upgrade-policies-eff-3-feb-2014-a.html)

DWFI Nov 1, 2013 12:41 am

Quick analysis shows that most UA redemption amounts, as well as *A in economy, are the same or have only modest (up to 20% increases), which is probably OK/expected and par with "miles inflation".

*A redemption in J/C has increases around 30-40%.

The real hit is of course LH, TG, OZ, NH F awards which are up anywhere from 50 to 90%. Because why not?

(To be fair, we all knew 70K SFO-FRA-NRT LH F awards couldn't last. But increasing it to 130K is...tyrannical.)
Suddenly BA Exec Club's distance based program seems a lot more attractive!

belfordrocks Nov 1, 2013 12:43 am

Well the old system was apply for a couple credit cards, buy some gift cards to cash them out then enjoy LH F at United's expense... funny how that didn't last, no?

PointsNmiles Nov 1, 2013 12:43 am

Originally Posted by horseymen (Post 21705728)
Just about everyone I've read about said a United devaluation was coming..

This is not a devaluation, it is an annihilation! 220,000 miles RT in first to fly to Japan? That is ridiculous! Everyone needs to Tweet United (and email Jeff Smisek). Small increases are one thing, but what they've done is gutted the program!

bertuzzi Nov 1, 2013 12:44 am

Its gonna be harder and harder trying to fly first class with miles...

yerffej201 Nov 1, 2013 12:44 am

Not so easy to collect 50k + 50k + 40k ink ink csp for f anymore eh

demkr Nov 1, 2013 12:44 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

I wish they changed the rates domestically to be honest. Atleast then CPU would be maybe higher than a 20% probability for 1Ks.

Kacee Nov 1, 2013 12:46 am

The following restrictions apply to upgrades on flights to/from Northern South America and within Asia departing on or after February 1, 2014: (1) Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable; (2) Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013; (3) There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013.

That front cabin from BOG-IAH/EWR is going to be dead empty. GPU on a W fare for a domestic F seat? No thank you.

unavaca Nov 1, 2013 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 21705795)
The following restrictions apply to upgrades on flights to/from Northern South America and within Asia departing on or after February 1, 2014: (1) Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable; (2) Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013; (3) There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013.

That front cabin from BOG-IAH/EWR is going to be dead empty. GPU on a W fare for a domestic F seat? No thank you.

While I'm not holding my breath, I suspect that this is a precursor to a lie-flat retrofit on those routes; the same thing that happened to LIM.

Removing intra-Asia CPUs just puts us back to the PMUA days where you needed W+ and a SWU.

dsquared37 Nov 1, 2013 12:48 am

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 21705777)
Quick analysis shows that most UA redemption amounts, as well as *A in economy, are the same or have only modest (up to 20% increases), which is probably OK/expected and par with "miles inflation".

*A redemption in J/C has increases around 30-40%.

The real hit is of course LH, TG, OZ, NH F awards which are up anywhere from 50 to 90%. Because why not?

(To be fair, we all knew 70K SFO-FRA-NRT LH F awards couldn't last. But increasing it to 130K is...tyrannical.)

It's more than 90% for a *A F to S Asia. Really, 130K EACH WAY.

As the recently departed Ms Krabaple would say: HA.

:td::td::td:

belfordrocks Nov 1, 2013 12:49 am

Also, except HKG-SGN the CO 737's are off the intra-Asia routes as well.

FriendlySkies Nov 1, 2013 12:49 am

From first to worst! Each and every change is starting to convince me that I shouldn't spend the extra $$ to keep 1K for another year.

demkr Nov 1, 2013 12:50 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
From first to worst! Each and every change is starting to convince me that I shouldn't spend the extra $$ to keep 1K for another year.

Indecision-friendly!!!:-)

unavaca Nov 1, 2013 12:51 am

I guess we should be happy that they still allow a stopover on a roundtrip :-:

Better than AA in that regard.

belfordrocks Nov 1, 2013 12:52 am

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 21705812)

And there are no insane published routing rules, or probihition from transiting other regions on an award.

DL could be leading the way soon (just like they have been in the financials).

DWFI Nov 1, 2013 12:54 am

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 21705812)
I guess we should be happy that they still allow a stopover on a roundtrip :-:

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 21705814)
And there are no insane published routing rules, or probihition from transiting other regions on an award.

DL could be leading the way soon (just like they have been in the financials).

Are you sure about that?
The routing rules are not published.
You might get a nasty surprise when you call on Feb 1 and are told that routing from US to Asia via EU is no longer permitted.
That'll really be the kill!

FWIW just replaced all of the FF# in my future intl reservations to my Avianca number.