Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:33 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TomA
I thought that the cuts to the various elite levels due to the new PQD requirements were going to come with enhanced benefits to those levels and instead we get this?
Still waiting to hear from UA what the "enhancements" will be for the new program. I don't even think UA Insider is trying to spin any longer, and I kind of doubt there are any actual enhancements coming any time soon.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jmj8778
Sucks. Think American will match my *A status (Aegean)?
AS is very liberal in program matches.

That being said, you're dreaming if you don't think the AA and US are going to match this at some point. Hell, WN devalued their points that spend like cash.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Likely it would be charged at higher rate. Suggestion up thread is to take UA only on award to FRA and then do a revenue ticket (assuming relatively cheap) to keep award cost down for the other segment.
Or using a program like Lifemiles/AV or BA Avios, that isn't so ridiculous at making shorthaul stupid expensive.

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
Still waiting to hear from UA what the "enhancements" will be for the new program. I don't even think UA Insider is trying to spin any longer, and I kind of doubt there are any actual enhancements coming any time soon.
What kind of enhancements can we expect? Discount award booking rate for premiers?

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
These changes made buying miles a fools game. It is like a bait and switch. Buy 'X' miles for $$$$. Oh, by the way, we will devalue them at our whim. Pretty pathetic.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
The "enhancement" will be increased *A premium cabin award availability, since it's been priced at a level which will significantly reduce redemptions
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jmj8778
Sucks. Think American will match my *A status (Aegean)?
I very much doubt they are matching Aegean elites.

Originally Posted by TomA
No it isn't, because the cost of the tickets that you need to purchase in order to EARN the miles ALSO goes up.
But flying is already the sucker way of earning miles, compared to opening credit cards.

Likely it would be charged at higher rate. Suggestion up thread is to take UA only on award to FRA and then do a revenue ticket (assuming relatively cheap) to keep award cost down for the other segment.
In which case you'd better off booking a UA award to a more LCC friendly place e.g. GVA assuming there is award space of course. One ways on LH can be very expensive intra-europe.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:38 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Indeed. The problem is going to be when there are irrops on the UA segment to FRA. Then you're screwed on the "connecting" flight. UA has cost me several hundred dollars this way before when I booked an itin that way because, for example, WAS-BKK was $2000 less than WAS-BKK-HKT, and BKK-HKT was only $200 on TG or another carrier. Of course, then UA goes MX in SEA, and that TG ticket is toast or very pricey to change. I've had that happen in Europe as well (the last time, I booked fully changeable tickets on Croatia Airlines rather than risk the cheaper economy ticket and a UA irrop messing me up).
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by xlaurens
what happens if you fly, for ex, EWR-FRA-LYS on UA for the first leg than LH for the last part because UA just does not fly there? Partner award or UA award?
You should be able to include FRA-LYS in coach at the UA Award price. Or that is how I read the chart because the coach prices are the same (C over the water and then Y to destination) but that could be my wishful thinking.

This chart also applies to Business/First Awards for itineraries that include travel on both United and at least one partner when at least one flight segment on a partner is in Business or First.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by SuiteFlyer
Who is doing a better status match these days? DL or AA?
I just look at DL and it seems they require a challenge with the match.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: US Airways Chmn,SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,Club Carlson Gold,Hyatt Plat,Avis FP,IHG Plat,Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
You can thank Chase freeloaders for this.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:42 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
The spin is great:

"We faced a decision other airlines have faced -- to either increase the number of miles required for partner awards or to eliminate them altogether," he adds.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...ckets/3344437/
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
You can thank Chase freeloaders for this.
Hey you forgot about all the Bloggers showing and explaining why you need to use their links to get all these credit cards and the bonuses and then fly around the world like a king in First Class. Thats besides telling folks to use their links get 10s of 1000s of miles/pts and sell them to a broker and make alot of $$

Part of the proof to the above is that Domestic awards didnt go up, brokers dont sell them (no real $$ in it for them)

It was bound to happen, COdbaUA just isnt able to sit by and watch as 1000s out there buy GCs or VRs and then cash in for an F tkt on a partner with UA miles.

Problem is Im sure theres more enchancements to come still
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Technically there wasnt a saver award for *A J. If saver was not available on a *A partner it was not bookable.
I don't think that is the case?

If you book on ua.com, there are two columns: saver award, standard award.

Those columns exist for J and are populated for *A partners.

I've always understood there was a saver rate for *A in J. No?

But the "new" redemption chart seems to show only 1 rate for J on *A?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
The "enhancement" will be increased *A premium cabin award availability, since it's been priced at a level which will significantly reduce redemptions
Bingo! I'm surprised that wasn't put forth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.