Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Gold
This is a monster chop to the value of UA.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Man, United is on a roll lately. I guess those preaching free-agency are being proved right. No point in calling it a loyalty program anymore.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Please come back in like a year

You really think that AA/US will not massively devalue after DL and UA have? Really?

Can anyone be that naive?
It will come.

Fun while it lasted.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Welll, I've been weaning myself off UA for the past year but now it's official. I'm done. Time to cash out and put 100% of my focus on AA.
Yep, I agree 100%.....I was heading in the AA direction anyway and this rather breathtaking development at UA (to say the least) makes it official for me as well.

Thank goodness I was able to use my UA miles and book J for two FRA-IAH on an LH A380 for a trip this March.......which means I now have just enough miles to hopefully get F reward tix for two to Hawaii.

And after that, I will be well and truly done with UA.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by unavaca
Ouch. US to Asia (ex-Japan) in C went from 120k to 140k 16% increase
That's UA only

*A will be 160K or 33% increase
Given that UA doesn't fly TPE (yet)...
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i fly EWR-NRT-ICN a lot for personal travel to see my family.

i just noticed this on http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...e/default.aspx regarding CPU's "within asia"

1The following restrictions apply to upgrades on flights to/from Northern South America and within Asia departing on or after February 1, 2014: (1) Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable; (2) Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
so... on my two hour NRT-ICN flight, i need to burn a W+ GPU for that. am i reading this right? because while not a major issue in the grand scheme of things, it's a giant middle finger to premier members.

if i'm reading that right, this, in combination with the redemption hikes, the constant regional-ization of domestic flights, removal of the dedicated 1K desk, hit-or-miss operations (i was on ORD-EWR yesterday and 30 minutes after scheduled departure time we were struggling because there were two seats double ticketed and the rampers never showed up to gate check the bags), increased last minute fire sales of upgrades, crappier food (after serving me those stupid chicken wraps, was that salad that stops me from feeling like i'm going to have heartburn really that huge an expense?) and the continuing list...

ugh. just ugh. i'm holding off on 2014 bookings to see what happens with the AA/US merger. if that doesn't go through, i'm bolting. if it does go through, i might as well just start kayaking. anyone who believes parker won't gut AAdvantage i'd bet will be in for a shock. remember there was a time when smisek used to say that MP wouldn't be hurt...
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by STS-134
Increasing co-pays to match inflation makes sense. Increasing the number of RDM required to get an award NEVER makes sense, UNLESS they increase the number of RDM earned per flight to match inflation as well. A flight from SFO to HNL for example, earns the number of miles it earns...regardless of whether you paid $800RT for your ticket in 2014 or $200RT for your ticket in the 1980s.
If you look at miles as worth some cash value, and the price of airline tickets goes up (fuel, service, etc.) then it does make sense.

Not to the degree UA has done it, but modest creep in relation to ticket prices could be justified.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: all, none, somewhere in between
Sucks. Think American will match my *A status (Aegean)?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kb1992
It will come.

Fun while it lasted.
Sic transit gloria. It also makes it easy for me to burn my smallish pile (50Kish) of UA miles sometime before pre-devaluation. I'm thinking another intra-South Asia C award involving TG and SQ, combined with a US "RTW" in C for 90K. Might as well burn 'em while I got 'em.

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
I thought that the cuts to the various elite levels due to the new PQD requirements were going to come with enhanced benefits to those levels and instead we get this?

I have to say (and most of you know) that I am normally a UA supporter, but this is really ridiculous, especially the *A partner changes.

The only think that keeps me here over AA now is that as a foreign based 1K I still get the 6 GPUs which are still relatively easy [for ME] to use.

Originally Posted by drewguy
If you look at miles as worth some cash value, and the price of airline tickets goes up (fuel, service, etc.) then it does make sense.

Not to the degree UA has done it, but modest creep in relation to ticket prices could be justified.
No it isn't, because the cost of the tickets that you need to purchase in order to EARN the miles ALSO goes up.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 1, 2013 at 9:34 am Reason: merge

Programs: UA- 1P
what happens if you fly, for ex, EWR-FRA-LYS on UA for the first leg than LH for the last part because UA just does not fly there? Partner award or UA award?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
We have to thank the government for this silly merger. It was so good to see the old UA and CO competing with each with customer friendly policies till the merger.

And airline management really expects us to believe mergers are good for the customer.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by drewguy

I don't think anyone would be complaining much if that's how airline FF programs adjusted their award costs. Instead, they hold steady for years, then pull these massive devaluations. You'd think they'd figure out that all this sort of thing does is tick off customers!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jmj8778
Sucks. Think American will match my *A status (Aegean)?
This is basically my thought now.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:32 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xlaurens
what happens if you fly, for ex, EWR-FRA-LYS on UA for the first leg than LH for the last part because UA just does not fly there? Partner award or UA award?
Likely it would be charged at higher rate. Suggestion up thread is to take UA only on award to FRA and then do a revenue ticket (assuming relatively cheap) to keep award cost down for the other segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.