Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: UA
I bet UA will continue this carpet bombing of MP program. They pulled ExpertFlyer access 1 day before this move. No wonder why.

I bet the next move is to install or increase award tickets fees across the board perhaps except GC. Or should I shut up and stop giving ideas to UA on how to further improve the MP program...

On a minor positive side (at least for me), my strategy of storing the bulk of my miles in booked J and F trips rather than account balance may be worth something after all...
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
United Airlines' MileageMinus; American's DisAAdvantage; and Delta Air Lines' SkyPesos. There is an awful trend in play for consumers.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by dqyl0
Why not United cancels the MileagePlus program? Devaluation will make this airline no difference from DL, AA, or, even Jetblue and Southwest.
I have been flying with United for 7 years. Now it's time to take a look on other airlines.....
Then they can't sell their worthless pesos to Chase.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:43 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
We wondered why UA didn't wait until Friday to announce their blocking EF out of award & upgrade inventory... well, it was because UA had this stinking turd to drop on our laps instead.

Seriously, UA has done what exactly to improve the program for those who have stayed loyal? Seems like every change they make hurts the loyal traveler--death by a thousand cuts.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Ye Advocates of Consolidated Power, Reap Thy Fruits.

What do you expect from the government granting so many favors and consolidation and ATI allowances to US and European airlines? More, more major devaluations are the natural consequence of a more concentrated industry power and no real power standing up for consumers to prevent loyalty program operators from dealing with customers like Ponzi scheme operators.
Perhaps these moves are strategic on UA's part to keep pressure on the goverment to prevent the AA/US merger.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yep. I am definitely going to spend some time investigating AA now.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ths-later.html
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:48 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
There's a United tweetchat today with ORD customer service folks. I wonder if O'Hare CS issues will really be what's on people's minds today. ;-)
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by l'etoile
There's a United tweetchat today with ORD customer service folks. I wonder if O'Hare CS issues will really be what's on people's minds today. ;-)
What time?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:55 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by newaarondavidson
What time?
2pm central. http://bit.ly/1aXOdV6
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by turtleisland
I would also like to know the answer to this and it seems there is no answer yet.

If I book an F award today, will I be able to change it at the mileage I paid, or will I be subject to an additional collection after Feb 1st?
Does anyone really doubt they will reprice at the new levels?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by controller1
Perhaps these moves are strategic on UA's part to keep pressure on the goverment to prevent the AA/US merger.
UA management isn't that strategic, and loyalty programs are ancillary -- and not even that is wholly accurate characterization -- compared to consideration of the airline operation by the DOJ ATD litigating against USdbaAA.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by nycua1k
This just make my decision to redirect dollars and loyalty to AA so much easier. I had doubts earlier, but I really don't think AA/USAir can get any worse than this.
Please come back in like a year

You really think that AA/US will not massively devalue after DL and UA have? Really?

Can anyone be that naive?

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
100% agree that Chase is at the epicenter of this ........
And how exactly did/does Chase acquire MP miles for its customers?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

And the kicker is is we're flying 55+ segments a year and helping The bottom line - CC holders got handed miles and because they are using them, we get penalized. Doesn't management realize that stuff like this cancels out the reasons some HVF's may not have previously defected to DL?
+1 ^^

This will definitely hurt the business of those who book award trips for others for a living.
Yep, and those that pimp Chase credit card affiliate links.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
I guess all those people who hoarded their miles are SOL now ... Due to this fear, I never hoarded my miles - I used them as they came up in my account..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.