Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
A meaningless comparison if you deliberately omit fuel surcharges. That's like comparing base rates on international tickets.
+1 And it adds up if flying with family members. I have a BA Chase card and I basically view BA programme as the equivalent of buying a ticket in TATL C for $1000 and upgrading with miles. As opposed to flying on a completely free ticket on UA that costs additional miles.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Fuel surcharge on BA is $380 or something like that. I did just have a really nice experience flying BA F earlier this year though so based on that it's worth the price. Plus it comes with a ~16 hour or so stopover in London which is long enough for dinner.
No, from the West Coast the total for taxes, fees, surcharges, LHR luxury taxes, and assorted BS it's more like $1000 per ticket RT. Maybe more, that was the cost for the ticket I booked last year which was F-out and C-return.

So really you are paying a $1000 premium to fly BA F over TK C, with the disadvantage of an extra stopover depending on your routing. BA F is nice but nothing special particularly if you are on an old plane.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
No, from the West Coast the total for taxes, fees, surcharges, LHR luxury taxes, and assorted BS it's more like $1000 per ticket RT. Maybe more, that was the cost for the ticket I booked last year which was F-out and C-return.

So really you are paying a $1000 premium to fly BA F over TK C, with the disadvantage of an extra stopover depending on your routing. BA F is nice but nothing special particularly if you are on an old plane.
Wow, I wrote this what? Six weeks ago. Anyway I was looking at a one-way IST-RDU (as I live in North Carolina) so, to be blunt, I really don't care what a round-trip to the West Coast is.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
So United the credit card company gives every group 2 cardholder 30K miles to join then decides to devalue the entire system so the new cardholders don't cost them as much?

Smisek is literally the most unfriendly and worst CEO in the history of mankind.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:47 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by CashN
Smisek is literally the most unfriendly and worst CEO in the history of mankind.
Oh, come on. He's not even that good.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:19 pm

Mileage cost for SFO to BKK gone up?

It's been about a year since I last redeemed miles for a flight to Asia, but I'm looking to book a flight from SFO to BKK which used to be 32,500 miles at the low end. It's now 40K.

I'm clearly out of the loop, but when did prices go up?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat
KidA001
There was a whole mileage devaluation program that went into effect earlier this year.
Combined with minimum spend, and the upcoming changes starting in March 2015 it's getting harder and harder to make mileage work.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by archcreate
KidA001
There was a whole mileage devaluation program that went into effect earlier this year.
Combined with minimum spend, and the upcoming changes starting in March 2015 it's getting harder and harder to make mileage work.
Really doesn't have anything to do with what he asked.

The prices went up for award tickets on Feb 1st of this year.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:20 pm

Thanks all. I figured some change went into effect...

What upcoming changes are happening in March '15/where can I read a summary?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
http://mileageplusupdates.com/
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KidA001
Thanks all. I figured some change went into effect... ...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2014-a.html
Originally Posted by KidA001
... What upcoming changes are happening in March '15/where can I read a summary?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...leageplus.html
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I can't seem to find any recent data points on the following:

1. Changing a one-way to a roundtrip at pre-deval reate
2. Adding a second passenger to the itinerary at pre-deval rate

Any experiences would be appreciated, thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by frudd38
1. Changing a one-way to a roundtrip at pre-deval reate
2. Adding a second passenger to the itinerary at pre-deval rate
Not gonna happen, IMO.

If it does, please share the good news!
Dave
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:54 pm
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Dreamliner flights charge more miles?

I booked a saver award ticket using UA miles from HNL-TPE with stopover in SIN. My original flights HNL-NRT-SIN were on NH. I saw another flight today that includes a NH Dreamliner 787-8 HNL-HND-SIN. I tried to change it - the 1K agent said he could not see that availability so I can't get it period - even though I could see it right in front of me on the computer. I hung up and tried to change it online since it seemed an easy one. I was able to select those new flights but then they wanted 15K more miles? Dreamliners cost more?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by sjl
I booked a saver award ticket using UA miles from HNL-TPE with stopover in SIN. My original flights HNL-NRT-SIN were on NH. I saw another flight today that includes a NH Dreamliner 787-8 HNL-HND-SIN. I tried to change it - the 1K agent said he could not see that availability so I can't get it period - even though I could see it right in front of me on the computer. I hung up and tried to change it online since it seemed an easy one. I was able to select those new flights but then they wanted 15K more miles? Dreamliners cost more?
Be careful about ANA Dreamliners. They have two versions, and unless you're up front, you don't want to fly the sardine version.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sjl
did you book pre-deval? That's the only reason I can see why the online system may misprice. HUCA is what I'd do in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.