Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:00 am

I debated whether or not I should even post this because I don't want to confuse the issue but it really shows what kind of three ring circus is going on over at UA. I just received this in an email (bolding mine):

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

The existing change process applies when you want to make a change to an award ticket after February 3, 2014. Changes that require an award to reprice will require an add/collect in miles under the new award price structure. Fees for change/cancel will still apply per our existing policies.

* Changes to Date/Time: No change to award price as long as carrier, cabin, region and award type remain the same.

* Changes to Carrier on one or more segments: Reprice under new award price structure.

* Changes to Cabin on one or more segments: Reprice under new award price structure.

* Changes to Origin/Destination that result in change of region: Reprice award under new award price structure.

* Changes to Origin/Destination within the same regions: No change to ward price as long as carrier and cabin remain the same.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight.
The carrier part contradicts what I was read word for word on two different occasions before booking my ticket, and what was basically confirmed here by UA Insider:

Changes to carrier, on one or more segments: no change to award price as long as cabin, region, and award type remain the same. We will honor pre-February 3, 2014 price.
I understand there is still debate about the cabin part but I'm glad some people have been able to change to the cabin that reflects their award type without paying additional miles, as it should be.

It's possible that the agent sending the email mistakenly copied from the section about awards booked after Feb. 3rd and not before. That happened when I called to book my ticket and the agent corrected herself and said she had been reading from the wrong section.

Based on the experiences posted here I think the key is to keep calling until you get a competent agent, and be as patient and polite as possible.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by wyoon
Happily report to you that I was able to get an agent to exchange my ticket on my return LH light from I to O without any extra miles nor taxes not the fee.

Background: it was ticketed as part of F redemption from BKK-(TG O)-FRA-(LH I)-IAD. A FC seat became finally available on my return flight date Feb 16. I snatched the last seat!! Woohoo! Mind you the ticket was originally issued back in May last year. It wasn't ticketed before UA announcement for the additional mileage.
Thank you for posting this, I am in a similar situation. I am just waiting for a F seat to open up in one of my segments.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Is anyone seeing AC or TAP options? Looking for ORD-BCN and before the third I was seeing several options involving AC as well as TAP. I am still seeing LH (possibly phantom) and TK, but now the AC and TAP options aren't even showing on the matrix. Still loading data?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by hedur
I debated whether or not I should even post this because I don't want to confuse the issue but it really shows what kind of three ring circus is going on over at UA. I just received this in an email (bolding mine):

The carrier part contradicts what I was read word for word on two different occasions before booking my ticket, and what was basically confirmed here by UA Insider:

I understand there is still debate about the cabin part but I'm glad some people have been able to change to the cabin that reflects their award type without paying additional miles, as it should be.

It's possible that the agent sending the email mistakenly copied from the section about awards booked after Feb. 3rd and not before. That happened when I called to book my ticket and the agent corrected herself and said she had been reading from the wrong section.

Based on the experiences posted here I think the key is to keep calling until you get a competent agent, and be as patient and polite as possible.
How is it possible to have so many different interpretations of the rule? They've had time to get a definitive policy in place. They need to do that and post it on their website.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by INDFlyer
Thank you for posting this, I am in a similar situation. I am just waiting for a F seat to open up in one of my segments.
Same here. I'm actually trying to switch from ua gf to LH f.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
Oh, that's good info. Would you be willing to share the reason for reissue number 1.
Reissue 1 was just to change the stopover dates.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
:-::-::-::-::-::-::-:

If I am booked ATH-MUC-YYZ-BOS on Lufthansa, then Air Canada from YYZ to BOS...

Can I switch to ATH-MUC-BOS, all on Lufthansa, and get rid of the extra Air Canada leg??
As long as you follow this guidance:

Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)

...and then pray for a good CSR!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
".. Changes to Origin/Destination within the same regions: No change to award price as long as carrier and cabin remain the same."

So if, on/after 3Feb14, I voluntarily (or UA, involuntarily by me, due to schedule changes) make a change to my routing on my pre-3Feb14 ticket resulting in the generation of a new ticket (ie, the new ticket is ticketed after 3Feb14), will further allowable changes be OK without a reprice ... or, will UA consider this reservation to now be considered a ticket that's been ticketed on/after 3Feb14, in which case ANY change will require a reprice/reissue. The rules UA has described apply to *tickets* ticketed before 3Feb14 but do not describe situations in which an award was pulled before 3Feb14 and for which re-ticketing(s) occurred on/after 3Feb14.

UA Insider: any info on this?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:14 pm

Yes, it does seem to affect primarily international flights.

We are in Brazil so have limited opportunities to use my UA miles. Gave up on using them for international flights from here, especially since we'd first have to fly a domestic airline to get to GRU or GIG. Even when JJ was part of the Star Alliance, I could never find availability (I know it exists, or existed, sometimes) to get to GIG or GRU to connect with UA. Last year checked DL (my wife has miles), and r.t. business class to the U.S. was over 200,000, and only starting at GRU. They could not do anything starting in FOR.

But I've seen able to use my UA miles for fc domestic flights when we're in the U.S. Will use some for PHX-SEA next month, when we'll be on a US flight. UA's requirements have long seemed a bit stricter than for AA (though a lot better than DL), but looking ahead at trips later this year, the opportunities for flying fc with miles seem increasingly limited. Many more "mixed cabin" trips (fc on just one of two segments).
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
What I suspected pre-Feb 3, and what I see now happening, is that basically the agents have a lot of discretion when it comes to changing awards. This is why you can get things like fees waived when making changes. Ultimately, if an agent thinks what you are doing is within the rules, they are allowed to modify tickets, PNRs, etc, including revalidating, reissuing, whatever term you want to use, without being forced to collect more miles.

I mean, after all, what does "manually priced" really mean? It means they determined what they think the miles should be for a ticket and then apply that to whatever you're actually booking.

Unfortunately, this also means that for about another year, we're going to have widely varying experiences for what people are actually allowed to do with pre-Feb 3 tickets, a lot of HUCA, a lot of notes in records causing anger, etc.

Rather than creating a mess of rules as to what is and isn't allowed like what UA Insider posted, it seems like they should just have said "any change you make with a pre-Feb 3 ticket will not require more miles if it wouldn't have required more miles to make that change before Feb 3". They probably wouldn't have wanted to say this before Feb 3 because it might have caused even MORE speculative bookings, but they could do it now.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by villox
Rather than creating a mess of rules as to what is and isn't allowed like what UA Insider posted, it seems like they should just have said "any change you make with a pre-Feb 3 ticket will not require more miles if it wouldn't have required more miles to make that change before Feb 3". They probably wouldn't have wanted to say this before Feb 3 because it might have caused even MORE speculative bookings, but they could do it now.
That's an insightful and accurate summary of what the rules apparently are supposed to be.

And yes, if UA had announced that in advance, speculative bookings would have been much, much higher. I can't really blame them there. Those speculative bookings are not good for the system overall. They take tons of customer service resources and unnecessarily remove award space from available inventory, making it harder (or impossible) for people who actually want to travel on those dates to book flights.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:36 pm

What I suspected pre-Feb 3, and what I see now happening, is that basically the agents have a lot of discretion when it comes to changing awards. This is why you can get things like fees waived when making changes. Ultimately, if an agent thinks what you are doing is within the rules, they are allowed to modify tickets, PNRs, etc, including revalidating, reissuing, whatever term you want to use, without being forced to collect more miles.

I mean, after all, what does "manually priced" really mean? It means they determined what they think the miles should be for a ticket and then apply that to whatever you're actually booking.

Unfortunately, this also means that for about another year, we're going to have widely varying experiences for what people are actually allowed to do with pre-Feb 3 tickets, a lot of HUCA, a lot of notes in records causing anger, etc.

I agree. I will recount briefly my experience over the last few days:

Even though I had been aware of the impending Feb 1st deval, I didn't really make any bookings because I wasn't sure when I was going to be able to take any time off this year, and I wasn't sure if the book-then-cxl-but-don't-redeposit-miles trick would work. On Jan 31st however, I decided to book a trip to South Africa, stopping off in Spain on the way back, mostly in business-class, for the month of July. I was quoted the 120,000 miles that I expected. For some reason, the ticket was put on hold and never ticketed. It turned out that a GermanWings segment I had was causing problems. Anyway, fast forward to today, and the reservation still had not been ticketed because United was still having problems of some sort or another with that segment. Now, you'd think that ticketing today would now cost me 160,000 miles, and certainly the first couple of agents insisted so. However, after a few HUCAs I was able to find an agent that agreed that I should be charged only the 120,000 I was quoted originally, even though ticketing was taking place today. End result was that I was ticketed today, and I ended paying 'just' my pre-deval quoted fare in miles.

So long story short, agents would seem to have a pretty decent latitude in what they can/can't/will/won't do for you
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:44 pm

That's EXACTLY what they should say now. Quite frankly, if they're not going to charge for date/routing/carrier/destination changes it makes absolutely no sense to reprice for people simply trying to move into the cabin they would have had in the first place if availability had been there. It's irritating that this is even a debate, let alone the fact that it seems people actually have been charged more miles for moving into a cabin they already paid for.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
I'm looking at my intin for 2/25 SEA-IAD-FRA-PRG (UA then LH) and trying to move that to the previous day... there isn't anything, staying on LH even, that I can get that doesn't trigger reprice, same cabin, same origin and destination. I must be missing something or IT has yet to work this out but this is ridiculous.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
:-::-::-::-::-::-::-:

If I am booked ATH-MUC-YYZ-BOS on Lufthansa, then Air Canada from YYZ to BOS...

Can I switch to ATH-MUC-BOS, all on Lufthansa, and get rid of the extra Air Canada leg??
Under the UA Insider "policy" posted here you should. BUT, my experience was a bit different. I was booked DCA-YYZ-MXP-MUC-ADB. I called in to change to IAD-MUC when it opened up on LH. Agent told me it would require 20,000 more miles.

It was at that point I logged into my account to view the reservation and noticed there was also a significant schedule change (6 hours) on my original MUC-ADB leg. I used that as leverage to rebook onto completely new flights IAD-MUC(UA)-ADB w/o a mileage increase.

But I'm bothered that agent wanted more miles to begin with. Maybe b/c of departure airport change? Although DCA and IAD should be considered co-terminals. Anyway, hope my experience is helpful. Definitely seems like HUCA territory.

FYI, reservation still shows my pre-Feb 1 ticketing date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.