Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Check this out — a one way trip SIN-BKK in business class is 25,000 miles on Thai Airways; or it is 30,000 miles on Ethiopian Airlines.
Is the ET availability even legit? Every time I've tried to book any of their fifth-freedom flights it's been phantom space.

Originally Posted by kb1992
Also, standard awards should not show up for partner flights
That's a longstanding glitch, amazingly not corrected with the rollout this week.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hertz Gold, National Exec
I have a pre-deval one-way F award DFW-FRA-BOM that I canceled flights to rebook later. My dates haven't opened up yet, but I tried a close-in date with availability and sure enough the website is wanting to charge me 60k more miles.

This seems consistent with what others have reported here. I am hoping UA will fix this glitch, but if not, sounds like the process is to call in and escalate if necessary, to honor the terms UA Insider laid out.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
have an award sdj-nrt- pvg with ana
can change to other china cities with ana no charge but switiching to air china nrtto pvg seems to claim 10,000 more miles online-is this correct?i thought carrier change was ok?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by austinpop
I have a pre-deval one-way F award DFW-FRA-BOM that I canceled flights to rebook later. My dates haven't opened up yet, but I tried a close-in date with availability and sure enough the website is wanting to charge me 60k more miles.

This seems consistent with what others have reported here. I am hoping UA will fix this glitch, but if not, sounds like the process is to call in and escalate if necessary, to honor the terms UA Insider laid out.
UA Insider didn't say anything about the old rates applying to cancelled itineraries.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold

I don't know why you think this is either a glitch or not in accordance with what UA set out ahead of time. Where did people get this idea that they should book and then cancel an award and somehow this would magically protect them from the price increase?

This is not covered in any of the scenarios UAInsider outlined either pre-devaluation or on Monday, and if you relied on what some blogger on the internet said then I'm very sorry.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA Insider didn't say anything about the old rates applying to cancelled itineraries.
+1 -- I think people who booked and canceled flights hoping they could re-schedule without increase did so on a complete wing and a prayer.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by alex_b
Where did people get this idea that they should book and then cancel an award and somehow this would magically protect them from the price increase?
cant you guess? blogs of course...
:-)
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by noah
+1 -- I think people who booked and canceled flights hoping they could re-schedule without increase did so on a complete wing and a prayer.
I know there were loads of people cropping up on this thread with the idea this would work. I believe we told everyone we didn't see how it would work. Does anyone know where on earth this idea started?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by dsauch
cant you guess? blogs of course...
Name and shame ...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:37 pm

I know there were loads of people cropping up on this thread with the idea this would work. I believe we told everyone we didn't see how it would work. Does anyone know where on earth this idea started?
The concept is ridiculous, I don't even see the logic in it.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Name and shame ...
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38496

Originally Posted by Gunner14
The concept is ridiculous, I don't even see the logic in it.
I think the logic is that you now have a blank, unused "award" of a certain type (e.g., YF-52) which you should be able to apply to any qualifying itinerary.

A little too cute for my liking.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:46 pm

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38496

I think the logic is that you now have a blank, unused "award" of a certain type (e.g., YF-52) which you should be able to apply to any qualifying itinerary.

Yeah too cute for my liking as well. I don't think this bears any relationship to the information UA was putting out pre-devaluation and it was mighty hopeful to trust a blogger to know more than UA on this.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

People have already reported getting agents to rebook at the old rate. At any rate as I said many times, YMMV: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/39872
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

FWIW, I took advantage of the above "trick" -- canceling a confirmed FRA-NYC LH F reservation on the 31st, and I just rebooked myself on LH F next week. No change in miles. I believe this is because although the reservation was canceled, the ticket itself remained "open for use" and therefore a reissue wasn't required.

Or I got lucky.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
People have already reported getting agents to rebook at the old rate. At any rate as I said many times, YMMV: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/39872
I remain to be convinced its in line with the information that's been provided. If people can get it to work, good luck to them but I'm not sure they have much of a case if they get refused.

Originally Posted by boat9781
FWIW, I took advantage of the above "trick" -- canceling a confirmed FRA-NYC LH F reservation on the 31st, and I just rebooked myself on LH F next week. No change in miles. I believe this is because although the reservation was canceled, the ticket itself remained "open for use" and therefore a reissue wasn't required.

Or I got lucky.
Perhaps, or perhaps they're treating the cancelled tickets in line with the currently stated change rules. Which would be nice, if unexpected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.