Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cricketer
I'm basically reading it as:

When you booked an award ticket before Feb 3rd, you locked yourself into:

1. A trip between two regions
2. A particular class of service (which you may or may not be already seated in based on availability)

Therefore you can essentially change your airports for origin and destination, change your dates, change your carrier as long as you stay travelling between Europe and North America in F (or whatever your ticket was)
Originally Posted by enki
I also hope that's true. I'm assuming that I can't do the following:

Orig: SFO-IAH-IST-FRA-BKK in TK J, TG F
New: SFO-FRA-IST-BKK in LH F, TK J

But...the regions are NA->SE Asia, it's been ticketed in F. So those are my two parameters. If I have latitude to travel between these regions in F in any way I want, that changes the plan (for next June).

Again, I'm assuming I'm locked in and not expecting to be able to change much. But I very much hope that you're right, cricketeer.
I also hope that cricketer is right and I could see it being interpreted that way. It would essentially boil down to - "If it would have caused a recalculation of miles under the old award chart, it will cause a recalculation now". And that even covers where you change regions with the same number of miles required - that still would have caused a recalculation of miles, even if the number of miles that resulted from the calculation was the same number - so it causes a reprice.

SFOvacations earlier posted about award codes and that may be the key. The speculation would be that if the award code doesn't change, then the award doesn't reprice. Any change to region, overall cabin type or award type (standard vs saver and probably OW vs RT) causes the award code to change which triggers the reprice.

From a programming perspective it even makes sense. There is a lookup table with the award code and the number of miles required. If you change award codes (a whole new set has been developed for post 2/3 award apparently) the lookup table points to the new number. As long as the award code stays the same, the table continues to direct the software to the old number.

If this turns out to be the case, we may have to stop bashing UA for just a bit

This is a bit self serving since I am hoping to change my convoluted routing to FRA in J into a more direct route in J or F since it is an overall F award to BKK (without jumping to the new obscene mileage levels)
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by martina
Today, change in segment (Y->F domestic) on a ticketed international F ticket did trigger a reprice.
With an agent or online? Can you give routing specifics, carriers, etc?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by jasonvr
I also hope that cricketer is right and I could see it being interpreted that way. It would essentially boil down to - "If it would have caused a recalculation of miles under the old award chart, it will cause a recalculation now". And that even covers where you change regions with the same number of miles required - that still would have caused a recalculation of miles, even if the number of miles that resulted from the calculation was the same number - so it causes a reprice.

SFOvacations earlier posted about award codes and that may be the key. The speculation would be that if the award code doesn't change, then the award doesn't reprice. Any change to region, overall cabin type or award type (standard vs saver and probably OW vs RT) causes the award code to change which triggers the reprice.

From a programming perspective it even makes sense. There is a lookup table with the award code and the number of miles required. If you change award codes (a whole new set has been developed for post 2/3 award apparently) the lookup table points to the new number. As long as the award code stays the same, the table continues to direct the software to the old number.

If this turns out to be the case, we may have to stop bashing UA for just a bit

This is a bit self serving since I am hoping to change my convoluted routing to FRA in J into a more direct route in J or F since it is an overall F award to BKK (without jumping to the new obscene mileage levels)
So the real question "Would the award code have changed pre-Feb 3". I really hope that is the case, that the old tickets are grandfathered in. I have a 10 segment ticket with 2 in J and 1 in Y (rest in partner F) that I would love to reduce to 8 partner F flights.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow UA Award Codes

Originally Posted by jasonvr

My thoughts:

UA uses various codes for award type, region, cabin etc.

WB76M
WF72
YB76
WB72

If the code stays the same, then changes are permitted. No recalculation.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
My thoughts:

WB76M
WF72
YB76
WB72

But those codes themselves have changed. I tried pricing out a new partner F ticket from North America to South Asia and the new code is BF73 (the United-only version is YF73). In comparison, I have sitting in my account a similar ticket with the code YF72. So what allows you to keep the code the same?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by kb1992
My thoughts:

WB76M
WF72
YB76
WB72

whats the difference between WF72 and YF72? i have the latter on an F award rez i have for later this year. I currently have a J segment on LH, i was hopping to up it to F two weeks out. I guess I wont be able to without a reprice
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by villox
But those codes themselves have changed. I tried pricing out a new partner F ticket from North America to South Asia and the new code is BF73 (the United-only version is YF73). In comparison, I have sitting in my account a similar ticket with the code YF72. So what allows you to keep the code the same?
Yes codes are changed, but there is a mapping (not 1-1 or isomorphism) from old codes to new codes.

Hypothetically if the pre-image of new codes BF73 and YF73 is old code YF72, then UA could program its system that allows you to change awards coded YF72 to any award coded BF73 or YF73.

All speculation, though.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I can't replicate what I have to see the new fare code as I don't have enough miles in my account now.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Hoarding Anonymous
Change clarification for itineraries booked before February 3: Many of you have also been asking about what kinds of itinerary changes will re-trigger a re-price to the new award chart, and I can share some additional follow-up details about that. As a reminder, the existing change process will apply, and any change that requires an award to re-price will require an add/collect of the additional miles under the new award price structure. Fees for change/cancel will still apply per our existing policies. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
I'm not quite sure if my proposed change will trigger a re-price as per point 3 here.

Here's what I have:
AUS-ORD-FRA (UA F)
FRA-BKK (TG F)
BKK-CDG (TG F)
(stopover in Paris for a few days)
CDG-FRA-EWR-AUS in LH I (CDG-FRA) and UA F

Here's what I want:
AUS-IAH-FRA (LH F)
FRA-BKK (TG F)
BKK-CDG (TG F)
(stopover in Paris for a few days)
CDG-FRA-IAH-AUS in LH F

My regions are staying the same, so any speculation on whether or not this would be legal and not trigger a re-price? I assume I'll have to pony up a change fee T-14, correct?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kmfdm91
HOWEVER, the big takeaway is the first sentence: COdbaUA only will post responses to our questions AFTER the new rates take effect, even though i'm sure they had the answers immediately after the announcement of the rates changing.
How much do you want to bet? I'll take that action. (emphasis mine)
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by villox
Originally Posted by boat9781
My understanding of the new rules is that if I redeem for a ticket that has me in UA Global First -- with the rest of the segments in Star Business/Economy -- the United Award rate will apply.

Any ideas why the United Award rate (80K in Global First to South Asia) isn't applying to the below itinerary? Instead, it seems to be pricing at the Star F 120K level. Thanks!

Because Japan and South Asia are two different regions. you only get the lower price if the lesser flight is in the same region. In this case, it is seeing you as booking a NA-South Asia award on partners.
Is that accurate? The award is USA -> South Asia, with a connection in NRT. The only F segment is UA-operated; the other flights are in lesser cabins. Why is it not pricing at the 80K level like the below itinerary is, for example.

Perhaps it's just the award engine not recognizing NRT as a connection and is instead breaking the "fare" into 2 awards -- US-> NRT + NRT -> BKK.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is that accurate? The award is USA -> South Asia, with a connection in NRT. The only F segment is UA-operated; the other flights are in lesser cabins. Why is it not pricing at the 80K level like the below itinerary is, for example.

Perhaps it's just the award engine not recognizing NRT as a connection and is instead breaking the "fare" into 2 awards -- US-> NRT + NRT -> BKK.
Looks like a website error to me. Have you tried calling?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3 Feb. 2014

I have a domestic United segment wait listed for IN class (ORD-DCA) on a return from Asia, TPAC MileagePlus partner award in ANA J class. Do I get charged if IN becomes available on the wait listed segment?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:07 pm

Hmm, you are right, and actually if it were pricing as a partner F it would be 130,000 not 120,000, so it must be breaking it into 2 awards. Did you try clicking on the Fare Rules and Restrictions on the confirmation screen to see what it shows for fare code?

Plus a business partner award to South Asia is 80,000 so the price should even match.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:31 pm

Success changing date without reprice

I successfully changed date on US-Asia award in C without reprice today.

Initially agent mentioned that system wanted to take extra miles, but after a couple of minutes on hold it was all set. Unlike some times in the past, the ticket was reissued immediately and I got confirmation email before agent disconnected. Very pleasant experience.

The route and carrier stayed the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.