Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Clearing out some old emails and found this email subject from UA just 5 days ago

Turn your 124,xxx miles into a travel experience, electronics and more
Ask and you shall receive UA!

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
SIN-LHR shows 85,000 miles for Business Saver when all flights are available in Business, but drops down in some BUT NOT ALL cases to 75,000 miles for mix class with an economy or coach flight thrown in. Is there any rhyme or reason to this, or is it just a software glitch?
I'm seeing it too. In all the cases I'm seeing it is where the longhaul is in Y and the feeders are in J. For example SIN-BKK-FRA-LHR where BKK-FRA is in Y while the others are in J. Seems to price out at the UA rate instead of the partner rate in that case. Looks like maybe there is some distance based logic in there??? Of course anyone who books that should be ashamed since the corresponding all-Y itinerary is 55k.

Last edited by jasonvr; Feb 3, 2014 at 11:39 pm
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
It does look like there's some distance based logic built in. I'm seeing USA-Europe-Europe in UA C/LH C pricing at the UA C price.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Some funny things with the new award chart. Was playing around and found Sydney, via ICN. From ICN to SYD is obviously on OZ and a two-cabin flight. From SFO-ICN both UA GF and UA BF are available, so since it connects to a *A in business they both are 80K miles.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 5khours
What would be even more interesting to see is how this works out for UA financially.

Basically it boils down to what the spread is between earning and redeeming miles, which can be broken down into three categories.

1. Miles earned from flying.

2. Miles sold to Chase.

3. Miles bought on award accelerators.

IMHO, they'll get badly hurt on 1) because even though there will be a shift in redemptions from *A partners to UA, which reduces the cost of redemption to UA, I think a lot of HVFs will reduce UA spending or leave UA because one of the main benefits of MP was the partner redemption.

On 2), I suspect it will be wash. They'll save some money on redemptions, but they will sell fewer miles to Chase because for Chase customers the miles are less valuable and there is less reason to use a Chase credit card.

I think they will also see a big drop in award accelerator sales. IMHO miles bought on accelerators are only a good deal if you redeem on premium international fares. With the huge increase in redemption levels for partner awards, purchase miles (at current prices) don't make any sense.

The adjustment will take a year or so, which will allow the clowns at HQ to keep their jobs for a few more quarters while they get a temporary one time boost in financial performance, but long term I have to believe this will seriously hurt UA.

(Just my $0.02 from an armchair aviation industry expert )
Unfortunately HVFs mostly don't seem to care that much (any longer) about earning miles from flying to be redeemed for new tickets and are now probably generally more concerned about the at-airport and on-board benefits of the FFP than about being able to use miles earned from flying for redeeming for new tickets. The airlines have groomed customers to expect to be frustrated by award availability and/or award ticket pricing; given that and given how many favors the government has given the US legacy majors, the consumers -- HVFs or otherwise -- are out of luck given the oligopolistic nature of this market in the main.

DL led the way in major devaluations of the program. UA is trying to get there too. USdbaAA is eventually likely to follow with a major devaluation too. The airlines are like lemmings. And consumers aren't really rallying in any way that could effectively act as a restraint on these devaluations. "The beatings (of the consumers) will continue until (consumer) morale improves".
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Unfortunately HVFs mostly don't seem to care that much (any longer) about earning miles from flying to be redeemed for new tickets and are now probably generally more concerned about the at-airport and on-board benefits of the FFP than about being able to use miles earned from flying for redeeming for new tickets. The airlines have groomed customers to expect to be frustrated by award availability and/or award ticket pricing; given that and given how many favors the government has given the US legacy majors, the consumers -- HVFs or otherwise -- are out of luck given the oligopolistic nature of this market in the main.

DL led the way in major devaluations of the program. UA is trying to get there too. USdbaAA is eventually likely to follow with a major devaluation too. The airlines are like lemmings. And consumers aren't really rallying in any way that could effectively act as a restraint on these devaluations. "The beatings (of the consumers) will continue until (consumer) morale improves".
Kind of agree, but you're mostly thinking about the domestic market, and the people who were hit with the devaluation are mostly international flyer for whom:

1) It was pretty easy to book award travel in F, and

2) There are plenty of other options (e.g. SQ, EK, CX, LH, etc, etc.....) other than UA, DL, and AA, all of which have better hard and soft product. Without the advantage of MP, UA has nothing to compete with against these carriers.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
SIN-LHR shows 85,000 miles for Business Saver when all flights are available in Business, but drops down in some BUT NOT ALL cases to 75,000 miles for mixed classes with an economy flight thrown in. Is there any rhyme or reason to this, or is it just a software glitch?
90% sure from playing around with searches that:

While United said United business + partner business will always put you on the partner business chart. In fact, that’s only true if both flights are region-connecting. If the partner flight is intra-region, you can stay on the cheaper United chart.

I do not think that distance matters. I think it's intra-region (the 17 regions on United's chart) vs. region-connecting that matters.

Examples:

You fly Chicago to Frankfurt in Lufthansa business. You pay the partner business class price (70k) since the region-connecting (and only) flight on this award is a partner flight.

You fly Denver to Chicago in United business and Chicago to Frankfurt in Lufthansa business. You pay the partner business class price (70k) since the region-connecting flight (US to Europe) on this award is a partner flight.

You fly Chicago to Frankfurt in United business and Frankfurt to Athens in Lufthansa business. You pay the United business class price (57.5k) since the region-connecting flight (US to Europe) on this award is a United flight.

You fly Chicago to Frankfurt in United business and Frankfurt to Cairo in Egyptair business. You pay the partner business class price (80k) since there are two region-connecting flights (US to Europe and Europe to Northern Africa), both are in the same cabin, and one is on a partner.

You fly Chicago to Frankfurt in United business and Frankfurt to Cairo in Egyptair economy. You pay the United business class price (70k) since there are two region-connecting flights (US to Europe and Europe to Northern Africa), and the United one is in a higher cabin (business vs. economy.)

You fly San Francisco to Seoul in United business and Seoul to Beijing in Air China business. You pay the United business class price (70k) since it is the only region-connecting flight (US to North Asia.) Seoul and Beijing are both in North Asia, so that is not a region-connecting flight.

You fly San Francisco to Tokyo in United business and Tokyo to Beijing in ANA business. You pay the partner business class price (80k) since there are two region-connecting flights (US to Japan and Japan to North Asia), both are in the same cabin, and one is on a partner.

Last edited by milevalue; Feb 4, 2014 at 5:44 am Reason: improve formatting
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by SF1K
Some funny things with the new award chart. Was playing around and found Sydney, via ICN. From ICN to SYD is obviously on OZ and a two-cabin flight. From SFO-ICN both UA GF and UA BF are available, so since it connects to a *A in business they both are 80K miles.
This is a super goofy outcome, but it is exactly how United said the new charts would work.

UA F plus partner biz = UA First price (80k in this case)
UA biz plus partner biz = partner biz price (80k in this case)
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:56 am

I'm seeing all sorts of availability I never saw before including SIN/FRA in LH 380 F and FRA/IAD LH F more than two weeks out. Good news for "mileage millionaires."
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
What does it mean when I see a LH FC availability on United.com but UA agents say there isn't available?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
I'm seeing all sorts of availability I never saw before including SIN/FRA in LH 380 F and FRA/IAD LH F more than two weeks out. Good news for "mileage millionaires."
Yet, when I call in United, all agents at Premier desk say there isn't a FC available to Dulles on the day I want to up from I class while I clearly see availability on United.com.....
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wyoon
Yet, when I call in United, all agents at Premier desk say there isn't a FC available to Dulles on the day I want to up from I class while I clearly see availability on United.com.....
Phantom inventory. Been a problem for a long time. UA.com frequently shows LH availability that really isn't.
If you can't see it on ANA, it is phantom.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Phantom inventory. Been a problem for a long time. UA.com frequently shows LH availability that really isn't.
ANA does seem to display a routing FRA-IAD at all based on my previous experience while I got a ticket. That's another issue with ANA. I will have to keep calling them up.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Some phantom, some not. Unfortunately we still have to double check with ANA. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the "phantom" aspect disappear as demand dries up because of the increased redemption rates. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out in a month or two.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by 5khours
Kind of agree, but you're mostly thinking about the domestic market, and the people who were hit with the devaluation are mostly international flyer for whom:

1) It was pretty easy to book award travel in F, and

2) There are plenty of other options (e.g. SQ, EK, CX, LH, etc, etc.....) other than UA, DL, and AA, all of which have better hard and soft product. Without the advantage of MP, UA has nothing to compete with against these carriers.
Not really - we discussed this with our employees that fly UA (and 90% of our business travel is international) I have been trying to get my few employees that prefer UA to switch to EK (These are American based employees who's travels take them to Dubai and Asia so EK or UA/LH both work for them. They mostly will stick with UA ( or really MP) and just earn half as many free tickets as they are used to. Where you are correct is their reasons for doing this. While anyone in their right mind who's company will fly them in full J internationally will pick EK over UA 9 out of 10 times, those few American based employees of ours are sticking with UA because although 90% of their travel is international, they do still travel domestically in the US and 1K or GS is worth it to them versus having nothing if they switch to Skywards. These employees are not dumb. When they fly to Asia on business, they rarely fly UA itself (unless ON is open and they have GPU's) They fly LX or LH to DXB or SQ to Asia. The 2 small independent TA's we usually use have no problem issuing these tickets on 016 stock going forward so that takes care of the PQD's
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
Some phantom, some not. Unfortunately we still have to double check with ANA. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the "phantom" aspect disappear as demand dries up because of the increased redemption rates. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out in a month or two.
Yeah, based on a Kayak reservation, there seems to have 7 FC seats available. My dilemma is that my trip starts tonight. I want to see the ticket reissues before I check in as my travel is involved IAD-(BRU)-MAD-(FRA)-(BKK)-USM [I]; BKK-[O]-(FRA)-[I]-IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.