Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by bnebased
There are in fact all sorts of goodies to/from Australia and other "local" zones, with somewhat improved mileage rates

It is not just lack of online availability of SQ. I rang and asked about availability from BNE to SIN and vv. Nothing on SQ in business at all (I was told) in all of September and October. Available on TG via BKK, but much less convenient, sad to say.
I've also noticed another goodie, no Aus based but at least for a economy ticket Japan to somewhere like Cook Islands with routing via Seoul, Bangkok and Sydney for 12500 miles. Amazing.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bnebased
There are in fact all sorts of goodies to/from Australia and other "local" zones, with somewhat improved mileage rates

It is not just lack of online availability of SQ. I rang and asked about availability from BNE to SIN and vv. Nothing on SQ in business at all (I was told) in all of September and October. Available on TG via BKK, but much less convenient, sad to say.
From what I've seen since the removal of SQ awards online, you now cannot book SQ J flights to/from Australia more than 2 weeks out.

SQ insists that they haven't throttled any inventory but since AV and NH seem to echo the same I think something fishy is up
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. Feb. 2014

At least the premier benefits page is fancier and a little cleaner
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by garbs
I've also noticed another goodie, no Aus based but at least for a economy ticket Japan to somewhere like Cook Islands with routing via Seoul, Bangkok and Sydney for 12500 miles. Amazing.
That's interesting, and you could combine it with a US Airways award from US to North Asia for 90k in business class.

So you could go US to Europe (stopover) to Japan/Korea(destination) for 90k dividend miles in business round trip. Then for 25k Mileage Plus miles you could add a roundtrip economy ticket from Japan to a South Pacific airport, stopping in Bangkok, Sydney and Auckland, and returning to Japan/Korea (via Singapore and/or Perth?) and then flying back to the US via the Pacific. You could even get an open jaw in the South Pacific.

Unless I'm wrong, that would be 115k total miles from two programs, or 150k if you want the whole thing in business class.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by garbs
This has also been devalued. Previously (or for two more days) it was 10/20 instead of 12.5/25 for y/j.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by transconsan
This is a smart move by United, it's a way to get two days of live testing.
Actually, no. It is a way to get 2 days of chaos and misunderstandings...both for customers and the phone agents.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
I was booking an award ticket in my dream last night. Really.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by O Sora
I was booking an award ticket in my dream last night. Really.
I was booking so many yesterday (used ~600K miles) the experience creeped into my dream(s) as well!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by kittiyut
I was booking so many yesterday (used ~600K miles) the experience creeped into my dream(s) as well!
We shared something.^

Originally Posted by jphripjah
That's interesting, and you could combine it with a US Airways award from US to North Asia for 90k in business class.

So you could go US to Europe (stopover) to Japan/Korea(destination) for 90k dividend miles in business round trip. Then for 25k Mileage Plus miles you could add a roundtrip economy ticket from Japan to a South Pacific airport, stopping in Bangkok, Sydney and Auckland, and returning to Japan/Korea (via Singapore and/or Perth?) and then flying back to the US via the Pacific. You could even get an open jaw in the South Pacific.

Unless I'm wrong, that would be 115k total miles from two programs, or 150k if you want the whole thing in business class.
If one makes an stopover at BKK/SIN/SYD/AKL, the 25k award cannot cover it.

Originally Posted by maverick17
This has also been devalued. Previously (or for two more days) it was 10/20 instead of 12.5/25 for y/j.
Yes and No.

Y/UA C/Partner C miles
Before 2/3/2014, 12.5k/20k/20k.
On or after 2/3/2014, 12.5k/25k/30k

Last edited by O Sora; Feb 2, 2014 at 9:26 am
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by transconsan
This is a smart move by United, it's a way to get two days of live testing.
I think you mean smart non move. Kind of like not diving into an empty pool.

I thought they'd just roll with the massive cluster because TIMES UP! and no one would be redeeming for a weeks after because we've been burning burning burning with this date in mind. But perhaps they are extending the deadline to ease their ledgers a bit more as well as because UA IT can't get it together? Now that is what I would call the smart move (for them).
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by unavaca
Dumb question: as a Gold (not 1K), if you change carrier >21 days prior to travel, is it only a reprice in miles or do you have to pay a redeposit fee since the number of miles changed? Same class of service.
There should be no redeposit fee as long as the origin and destination remain the same. I had a similar experience yesterday where United was trying to charge me a change fee on an award more than 21 days out. Discussed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-elites.html
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
New redemption rates have not kicked in yet - booked more flights today. Guess I'll dream about it again tonight! (total miles burned ~795K)
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:00 am

Is the new February 3, 2014 change posted somewhere online on United.com?

Just tried to make a small change online in the same cabin and they are trying to charge me more miles. I don't think the agent will take an United exec post on FlyerTalk as a source.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
The mileage chart url links shown on the top of each page of this posting link to a UA PDF file, which has been changed to show that the effective dates of the mileage changes is now February 3, 2014. They are UA documents.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by maverick17
Yeah I noticed that when I checked the old chart again. Still that is a crazily affordable redemption, considering it's more expensive to do just Japan to Australia. Still we did get a drop in miles to travel to South Asia which might peak my interest instead of using my miles for miles+copay upgrades across the pond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.