Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
So Much for being FlyerFriendly!!! Me and my wife were banking our miles in the hopes of traveling to Asia (India) on a RT FC saver award ticket which would have cost us 160K miles on a *A flight and now this increase. This combined with their inability to process UG on time is really a low blow for all of us! They want us to use United Metal to travel around the world, they better start more flights then!! Taking away our options and not providing replacements makes people really mad!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 1, 2013 at 7:23 am
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
This only pulls forward for me the deadline to use up my miles. Too bad it is *just* short of the 330 day window that will coincide with normal end-of-Christmas/NYE travel. I was not going for 1K next year anyway - I am happy to sit in the back as a lifetime Gold, since I sat in the back most of this year as a 1K anyway... Unfortunately I was also planning to use my 2014 1K status to give me the flexibility to book and cancel those 250k miles, but after Feb 1 2014, that too is effectively gone...
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
You can fly to OSL/GVA/WAW/other LCC 'hub' and tack on a LCC flight from there.
Probably the best and most logical option for those looking to conserve their miles
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
During this whole post-merger uncertainty the last year or so at least we could say Mileage Plus was solid. Now it's Delta by another name. Great.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pigx5
We should just get over it.
Hahaha thanks for making laugh instead of cry ^ LOL
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:06 am

Alright, I think I'm done here. When UA has extremely limited availability to where I want to go and my only choice is to pay a premium to fly another airline, I think that's enough devaluation for me. Once these miles are gone, I'm done going out of my way to fly UA.

Other airlines have as good or better premium economy now, and aren't going through endless devaluation periods.

First you got rid of my E+ access with silver, then you reduced how many miles I earned as silver and gold, and now you increase how many miles it takes to fly. I'll use the miles I have left (before Feb 1), status match, and not look back.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dulcamara
COdbaUA is on a roll today. First EF and now this.
Not sure if anyone has said this...it's a full frontal attack on the airline's best & most frequent customers. No other way to read it...they want to cut back our ease of upgrades & ability to redeem miles on superior *A carriers.

GMs & Silvers (no offense to the latter) probably aren't redeeming a lot for these global premium seats, and aren't looking for R space
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:10 am

Cue the double PQM promotions!

Just kidding

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by golfingboy

UA you have to remember, now with this change, you are the worst at almost every category that is important to me except for SDC. Congratulations.
Bolding mine......That's next, mark my words

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by halls120
i do feel bad for Aaron. it must suck to be the person who is given the task of delivering nothing but a steady diet of bad news.
Why? Aaron just posts the info and leaves.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:11 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
While for those who use their miles primarily for international front-cabin travel this is indeed bad news, for those of us who only use miles for intra-U.S. mainland domestic flights, the good news is that the cost stayed the same which means that it’s likely that it will be several more years before the 25K domestic r/t saver awards will be devalued. ^
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by cblaisd
While for those who use their miles primarily for international front-cabin travel this is indeed bad news, for those of us who only use miles for intra-U.S. mainland domestic flights, the good news is that the cost stayed the same which means that it’s likely that it will be several more years before the 25K domestic r/t saver awards will be devalued. ^
But what will the availability look like for the next several years?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
These are the November cost cuts. BOHICA...

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Absolutely brutal. Essentially it takes almost all the value out of overseas redemptions, especially combined with the significantly enhanced "availability" (i.e no availability) of C and F awards. What an absolute joke.

Well the only thing that talks as they say is dollars. Just cancelled my Chase card and rebooked two C flights to Europe on AA.

AA is next after the merger closes.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Offer every Kettle who wants a new Visa card 25K or whatever free miles, and this is what you get. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.