Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Yeah, I have no doubt that any regulation of the FFPs would cause airlines to simply end them, rather than deal with the Feds. Or at best, make them so bare-bones as to be of no real value.

The best thing to do in theory is to vote with our wallets and go to competitors. Of course, that's harder and harder to do with more consolidation and the existing airlines largely matching devals. So I guess, I don't know what the answer is.
I doubt that some sorts of government regulation generate equal outcomes with other sorts of government regulation. Mandating operational and financial detail disclosure for interstate "loyalty" programs operated by airlines is quite distinct from legislating the elimination or regulatory taking of private sector currencies (e.g. say that issued by an airline "loyalty" program).

Voting with others' purses/wallets is even more effective than voting with just one's own purse/wallet. In other words, spread the news.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
This link is for all those who think that "we" (either FTers or FTers + blog readers) only amount to a tiny slice of the program redemptions...mind you, all those seats disappeared in just a day or two...

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...ss-seats-book/
Interesting link. I just don't quite get, how Lucky arrived at these 1086 F-seats allegedly booked over the 127 days.
Did he indeed look at the load of 254 flights (r/t = 2 flights daily)?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Interesting link. I just don't quite get, how Lucky arrived at these 1086 F-seats allegedly booked over the 127 days.
appears so
so all I had to do was look at the “load” for each day in ExpertFlyer:
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
how much advance notice would you want?
If there was a regulation (it does not have to be a heavy-handed regulation, but one that requires some basic rules, to get a decent behavior from the airlines), I would like a one year notice, if a airline is going to change something in its program. It would give some time to spend miles that have been purchased or to complete the accumulation of miles to acquire a ticket.

This being said, I don't think that anybody will ask my opinion on the subject.

Mileage programs are too valuable for the airlines, for them to cancel that brilliant concept, in case of a regulation.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by cesco.g
He fails to account for the fact that some seats were booked with other Star miles. Although a bulk I am sure were booked using UA MP, there were bookings using AE, LifeMiles, and probably even M&M.

Also, I would suspect most people booked it as a part of a longer trip (why wouldnt you, if you could add two segments on TG F for 2500 more miles)?

Inevitably, some seats will get cancelled as well as people tend to jump on a "deal", but will realize later for whatever reason, they cant fly, etc.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
I don't see regulation as an answer. What I would like to see, though is a more activist posture by the government/courts on the contract/consumer protection front here. What I don't see as reasonable is an airline advertising in bold font apparent promises of certain benefits that are then changed in some fine print. Fixing this doesn't require special regulation - it just requires aggressive enforcement of consumer fraud/protection laws. Having an airline advertise to buy miles, for example, with an implied value in existing award charts only to change the value a very short time after they make the sale is consciously misleading the public. Simple truth in advertising applied aggressively would go a long way toward fixing the worst abuses by the airlines. Right now it seems airlines can promise whatever they like to try to attract the sale (which to a naďve consumer would seem to be part of the contract they are entering into when they purchase a ticket) only to soon thereafter alter the promise. In most other areas of commerce this wouldn't be acceptable. It shouldn't be here either - fine print notwithstanding.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
(why wouldnt you, if you could add two segments on TG F for 2500 more miles)?
Because most sane non-FT people would prefer to get to their destination as quickly as possible, not add segments and more fights just because they happen to be TG or LH F. And in fact, most people pick where the want to go and then figure out how to get there, not pick their destination based on first class award availability.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by penner42
Because most sane non-FT people would prefer to get to their destination as quickly as possible, not add segments and more fights just because they happen to be TG or LH F. And in fact, most people pick where the want to go and then figure out how to get there, not pick their destination based on first class award availability.
sorry, gimme Asia over Munich anytime, especially at the same price.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by pdx1M
I don't see regulation as an answer. What I would like to see, though is a more activist posture by the government/courts on the contract/consumer protection front here. What I don't see as reasonable is an airline advertising in bold font apparent promises of certain benefits that are then changed in some fine print. Fixing this doesn't require special regulation - it just requires aggressive enforcement of consumer fraud/protection laws. Having an airline advertise to buy miles, for example, with an implied value in existing award charts only to change the value a very short time after they make the sale is consciously misleading the public. Simple truth in advertising applied aggressively would go a long way toward fixing the worst abuses by the airlines. Right now it seems airlines can promise whatever they like to try to attract the sale (which to a naďve consumer would seem to be part of the contract they are entering into when they purchase a ticket) only to soon thereafter alter the promise. In most other areas of commerce this wouldn't be acceptable. It shouldn't be here either - fine print notwithstanding.
Excellent point. If the courts were to become more actively involved in protecting consumers from this kind of devaluation, and setting case law that puts boundaries on what's acceptable, it could be almost functionally equivalent to regulation. Ultimately, I'd like for the government, whether it's at the federal regulatory level or through the courts, to set some boundaries on what is and is not acceptable behavior in regards to selling miles that have implied value and then changing terms and conditions to reduce the value after they've sold the miles.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Right, because most people do 275K+ of leisure travel over two years like you claim you do in your signature?

I think you are pretty much not "most people", or even "most people who fly over 100,000 miles a year" (since a lot of those people aren't doing it all on leisure travel).

The argument's not about you- it's how people book. And yes, a lot of people don't want extra segments just for the sake of spending time in a pressurized aluminum tube- they quite possibly want to go to Europe (hugely popular overseas destination from the US).
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Excellent point. If the courts were to become more actively involved in protecting consumers from this kind of devaluation, and setting case law that puts boundaries on what's acceptable, it could be almost functionally equivalent to regulation. Ultimately, I'd like for the government, whether it's at the federal regulatory level or through the courts, to set some boundaries on what is and is not acceptable behavior in regards to selling miles that have implied value and then changing terms and conditions to reduce the value after they've sold the miles.
I think Delta is the worst offender. The Evil Empire against frequent flyers.

SMI/J only knows to be a copycat.

I have great sympathy for the Delta flyers. One cut after another. Often no warning.

How much more suffering will they take?

+1

From US east coast, I can handle Y to Europe.

For the same price F/J, definitely it's Asia.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 10, 2013 at 8:48 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kb1992
I think Delta is the worst offender. The Evil Empire against frequent flyers.

SMI/J only knows to be a copycat.

I have great sympathy for the Delta flyers. One cut after another. Often no warning.

How much more suffering will they take?
Some people don't want to spend 10-20 hours flying to get to their vacation, even if they get caviar and Krug en route. Some people think they spend quite enough time flying to start with, so more time flying is just a waste. Some people think redeeming some miles to go to Vegas or to take the family to Disneyworld, or giving their miles to loved ones, is just fine, instead of hyper-luxuious aspirational travel. None of these people would think they are "suffering"- if they view Delta as a way to get from Point a to Point B and the miles are strictly an extra, and Delta works for them when that happens, and they are satisfied when they fly, who's to say they are?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

The argument's not about you- it's how people book. And yes, a lot of people don't want extra segments just for the sake of spending time in a pressurized aluminum tube- they quite possibly want to go to Europe (hugely popular overseas destination from the US).
Really? so why is this thread full of people who are originating in the USA, yet flying via YYZ to Europe. Its not for our beautiful facilities in YYZ. Its because this is an opportunity to do something that is not always available, and timely, just before a giant devaluation of points. By your logic, why wouldnt they simply take a non-stop flight to Europe?

I only booked one one-way ticket. Need to get home from Asia from a vacation in August. Worked out perfect.

Whatever people booked, 1000+ people did jump on it in two days, because it was LH F - and have decided to take an extra stop, and detour via Canada to do so.

I do understand your point though - if I was stuck flying for work 100k+ a year, and worse, doing so domestically in the USA - I'd be a pretty grumpy flyer too.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:16 pm

For those in the 'Let's start a class action' crowd:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...going-forward/

Class Action Fuel Surcharge Lawsuit Against British Airways Going Forward

"Last summer I wrote that a law firm was preparing a class action suit against British Airways over fuel surcharges. The case was filed and a federal judge has refused to dismiss it."

HT: gleff
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Doesn't the FTC have some kind of consumer affairs division?

Maybe a complaint should be raised about bait and switch nature of this devaluation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.