Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
It appears use em or lose em is in effect at United....

These new mileage charts using international carriers are terrible. I am certainly glad I purchased my $3000 for 100,000 earlier in the year and added some miles and have an F r/t for SE Asia that now would cost 260,000 miles? WOW.

That said, I will use all my united points on tickets and then no more.

My next question is "what do I do with all those Chase Sapphire points? hmmmm.

Just seems to be the way of the world these days....pay more...get less.

Safe travels to all! NYC
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by INDFlyer
I am planning to call them up when a F seats opens up; hopefully they will not mess up my booking if i plan not to upgrade.
My expectation is that you'll be re-assessed at the new usurious levels.

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
trying to understand the new rules.

if you have a flight say

lax via ord to fra
and you change to lax direct to fra

will the amount of miles change if you change it after feb 1st?
(destinations etc dont really matter just the principle)
The taxes will liekly be different and UAInsider has stated that a change in taxes/fees is sufficient to put the new awards levels into effect.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dsquared37

The taxes will liekly be different and UAInsider has stated that a change in taxes/fees is sufficient to put the new awards levels into effect.
This is debatable.

Even if you just change dates, tax could be different due to currency exchange rates.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. Feb. 2014

Shifting all my auto-pay charges off my UA Club card ahead of the renewal...and assured cancellation. Hopefully Chase gets hammered with account closures.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
Anybody remember when Leo Mullin tried to gut the Delta Skymiles program around 2002? The members started a campaign "Save Skymiles " and put out badges with Leo the Rat and Save Skymiles on them, had a SOS website, hired an advertising truck with large placards on them that drove round the Wardorf Astoria (think it is was this hotel) in NY when the DL Annual GM was on there. Delta at that point stood for "Driving Every Loyal Traveler Away. After a lot of campaigning by the FFs DL backed down on their Skymiles changes and I believe that Leo was given the boot by the DL's Board of Directors in the end, although he says he resigned.

Just a look back in history to see what was successfully done when DL tried to do what UA has just done. The Frequent Flyer customers can be heard and make a difference.
And back then, how much money was Delta making? How much was a barrel of oil? And Delta's devaluation back then had to do with the real-time elite benefits. Like the inability to upgrade from the lowest fare buckets. Even with the upcoming award changes with Mileage Plus, it will still be a better redemption program than the "saved" Sky Miles program. Go to their website and try to book a J award ticket to Europe ( I picked J class because there are no F awards to Europe). See if you get one at the 100K level (which btw becomes 125K in June). You'll see that basically the 185K award is the de facto award level. Which is more than Star@140K or UA@115K.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by edcho
I think UA (and Copa in this case) would gladly get your paid F. However, i'm confused with your "more MM miles" statement. Earning extra PQMs does not translate to more MM miles as MM miles are BIS miles (not PQMs).
Sorry for the lack of clarification. Sitting up at the airport all night had my mind operating at less than full strength.

If I want to go from MDE to MCO, buying up to business class is usually less expensive on UA. That usually means flying MDE-BOG-IAH-MCO, but can mean MDE-PTY-IAH-MCO. It's significantly more BIS miles than MDE-PTY-MCO. That was my reference to more MM miles. Not that I thought that the 1.5 PQMs counted toward them.

Clearly, the MDE-PTY-MCO is much more convenient, but without an upgrade it loses some of its appeal. As a 1K, I have never failed to get the UG on the PTY-MCO-PTY portions of the flights. If I have to pay for the UG, then it just seems more prudent to me to go the long way around. I can usually find a red-eye going through BOG, so I don't lose much in terms of productive time on either end.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Fly longer/more segments get the pax in question more PQM, more RDM and a quicker track to MM.
Exactly. Sorry I didn't see your accurate, more succinct reply. Spot on.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat

i think this area is very unclear.
what is even more unclear is that say you have a open jaw return flight
with stopover.
if you change the routing after feb 1st does this automatically void the whole routing(or put it at a higher mileage) as stopovers on non round trips are no longer valid??
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Pls remove post

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Nov 7, 2013 at 7:04 am
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Not saying this is necessarily a bad strategy, but UA is clearly on a path to reduce their dependence on other *A carriers:

- Minimum UA-metal segment spend
- PQD with requirement for UA metal or UA ticketing (plus difficult and expensive to buy tickets from UA with all non-UA metal)
- UA MM credit only for UA metal (unlike CO)
- Sharply increased costs for *A awards (and possibly reduced access to inventory)
- New bureaucracy for LH upgrade awards
- Reduced baggage allowances for *A fliers on UA metal
- Probably a few more that I've missed

This strategy is consistent with Smisek's focus on the network and the 787. Seems to me that his ultimate goal is to fly Americans and visitor to the U.S. to/from any important destination in the world on UA metal, thereby reaping the bulk of the profits, rather than sharing nicely with his *A partners.

Along these lines, I predict that as the 787 rollout continues and the fleet is reshuffled, we'll not only see more new destinations, but more flights that compete directly with *A partner routes. Also, while I've been skeptical of predictions that *G reciprocal lounge access will be scaled back, that's starting to seem like the logical next step.

This could be a viable long-term strategy for UA, given the extensive international network they already have in place, but I believe that over time it will diminish *A's position as the leading alliance. Fortunately for them the other alliances are still hobbled by some gaps in their network coverage as well as the horrendous award surcharges from BA at the heart of the OW network. However, both ST and OW seem to be moving to fix the first problem, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if UA and/or LH decide to emulate BA's YQ charges.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by enki
Archive.org might be your friend, if you want to dig a little. I picked a random date in 2004:

https://web.archive.org/web/20051130...e=RelatedLinks

Fascinating...there are some amazing deals in there. Of course, we all know things change so I'm not really comparing 2004 to today, but still...
Very cool! I found the Star Alliance one. https://web.archive.org/web/20051215...d_chart_v2.pdf BMI, Spanair & Varig were still members then. Australia to the US was a bargain 60k in Y, 90k in J, 120k in F.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by kb1992
This is debatable.

Even if you just change dates, tax could be different due to currency exchange rates.
I don't disagree this is a very precarious position to take on UA's part. But that's the gist, as I read it, of UA Insider's post.

But, assuredly, UA will have little more to say and clarify until the 11th hour. In the same vane that clarifications and details have yet to be verbalized on the PQD scam, er, scheme.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Not saying this is necessarily a bad strategy, but UA is clearly on a path to reduce their dependence on other *A carriers:

- Minimum UA-metal segment spend
- PQD with requirement for UA metal or UA ticketing (plus difficult and expensive to buy tickets from UA with all non-UA metal)
- UA MM credit only for UA metal (unlike CO)
- Sharply increased costs for *A awards (and possibly reduced access to inventory)
- New bureaucracy for LH upgrade awards
- Reduced baggage allowances for *A fliers on UA metal
- Probably a few more that I've missed

This strategy is consistent with Smisek's focus on the network and the 787. Seems to me that his ultimate goal is to fly Americans and visitor to the U.S. to/from any important destination in the world on UA metal, thereby reaping the bulk of the profits, rather than sharing nicely with his *A partners.

Along these lines, I predict that as the 787 rollout continues and the fleet is reshuffled, we'll not only see more new destinations, but more flights that compete directly with *A partner routes. Also, while I've been skeptical of predictions that *G reciprocal lounge access will be scaled back, that's starting to seem like the logical next step.

This could be a viable long-term strategy for UA, given the extensive international network they already have in place, but I believe that over time it will diminish *A's position as the leading alliance. Fortunately for them the other alliances are still hobbled by some gaps in their network coverage as well as the horrendous award surcharges from BA at the heart of the OW network. However, both ST and OW seem to be moving to fix the first problem, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if UA and/or LH decide to emulate BA's YQ charges.
+1

Another factor could be the internal charges that UA pays for premium cabin redemptions on other *A carriers. This is just personal speculation.

My redemptions have always been on premium cabins on other carriers NH J, LH F, OZ F, TG F, etc. I am sure I am not alone in this.

Maybe the *A carriers with the more desirable premium cabins decided to charge more (again just personal speculation) and UA is passing the cost along (and maybe a bit more).

In any event, my main attraction to UA is the ability to get awards on other carriers. Even in the bad old *Net blocking days, you could get some availability if you knew how to look and were persistent. So unless AA really guts AAdvantge post-merger, it will be adios for me.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cheltzel
+1

Another factor could be the internal charges that UA pays for premium cabin redemptions on other *A carriers. This is just personal speculation.

My redemptions have always been on premium cabins on other carriers NH J, LH F, OZ F, TG F, etc. I am sure I am not alone in this.

Maybe the *A carriers with the more desirable premium cabins decided to charge more (again just personal speculation) and UA is passing the cost along (and maybe a bit more).

In any event, my main attraction to UA is the ability to get awards on other carriers. Even in the bad old *Net blocking days, you could get some availability if you knew how to look and were persistent. So unless AA really guts AAdvantge post-merger, it will be adios for me.
Of course, if $mi$ek could actually create an F product that's desirable, UA could then reap the benefits of BEING PAID by partners for F redemptions like LH. It might even be able to block partners programs from redeeming directly for F like SQ does. I don't know why this is apparently so difficult for UA to accomplish.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by STS-134
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheltzel

+1

Of course, if $mi$ek could actually create an F product that's desirable, UA could then reap the benefits of BEING PAID by partners for F redemptions like LH. It might even be able to block partners programs from redeeming directly for F like SQ does. I don't know why this is apparently so difficult for UA to accomplish.
To do that he would have to think like Whole Foods and not like Safeways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.