Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Sorry if it's been posted, don't want to dig through 101 pages, but if there a link to the FULL new *A chart anywhere? I want to check out all of the rates for routings that don't involve the U.S. to see if it's worth keeping any of my UA miles for something like an intra SE Asia zone award or Europe to Australia or something. Thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
I would rather pay a little more, buy the Z fare and get a ton of extra miles. It means faster status and more MM miles.
I think UA (and Copa in this case) would gladly get your paid F. However, i'm confused with your "more MM miles" statement. Earning extra PQMs does not translate to more MM miles as MM miles are BIS miles (not PQMs).
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by edcho
I think UA (and Copa in this case) would gladly get your paid F. However, i'm confused with your "more MM miles" statement. Earning extra PQMs does not translate to more MM miles as MM miles are BIS miles (not PQMs).

Fly longer/more segments get the pax in question more PQM, more RDM and a quicker track to MM.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by penner42
Pretty sure GUWonder meant that because they're not aware of FT, they don't know the devaluation is going to hit. Right now, they know it costs 100k miles roundtrip US to Europe on any *A partner in J. Until they get an official communication from UA, they'll believe that. When is that announcement going to come? Already lots of saver seats have been taken by FT members because of the "advance notice" they got, so regular frequent flyers - who are well aware of the MP program - have less availability to choose from.
I passed to a couple of colleagues of mine already this week (most of whom have huge MP balances in their accounts) that this had occurred. Nobody had any idea of this coming. I just went on to COdbaUA.com to see where this was announced and the only way to find out about it is to go into the award charts - unbelievable. Before that - nothing.

It is quite obvious they are trying to sneak this one in with as little as possible 'announcement' to the masses - much like DL did earlier this year - while still be able to state that this was 'public notice' back in November when the complaints start on 2/1/15.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mh3265a
GUM is the former Continental Micronesia hub, a prior subsidiary of CO, and they were known for their great service. I think that great service still remains but I've never been on an empty NRT-GUM flight. I am normally on the 3/4pm 737-800 flight which is always full up front. I wonder if you were on one of the 777s earlier in the day or late in the evening?
No, it was on a smaller plane. I think it was a late evening flight if I recall so that is probably why. I remember being confused on the time zone because I wasn't use to being served a full meal at that time of day.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by CoMooter
I passed to a couple of colleagues of mine already this week (most of whom have huge MP balances in their accounts) that this had occurred. Nobody had any idea of this coming. I just went on to COdbaUA.com to see where this was announced and the only way to find out about it is to go into the award charts - unbelievable. Before that - nothing.

It is quite obvious they are trying to sneak this one in with as little as possible 'announcement' to the masses - much like DL did earlier this year - while still be able to state that this was 'public notice' back in November when the complaints start on 2/1/15.
Is there actually any doubt that United is hoping won't people won't notice until it's too late? I have likewise passed the information along to my friends, and I am trying to burn my miles down to 0 with bookings made now before availability vanishes or UA constructs other ways to try to bully us into keeping our miles around for UA metal redemptions post 2/1/14.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:43 am
RNE

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Is there actually any doubt that United is hoping won't people won't notice until it's too late? I have likewise passed the information along to my friends, and I am trying to burn my miles down to 0 with bookings made now before availability vanishes or UA constructs other ways to try to bully us into keeping our miles around for UA metal redemptions post 2/1/14.
I too have informed friends and colleagues about the impending change. However, I don't see that UA has any obligation—ethical or otherwise—to pre-announce such changes. Moreover, I think it is foolhardy to "burn" miles down to zero. Even after February 2014, MP miles are very valuable and should be expended wisely for deliberate purposes.

RNE, the voice of reason.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
Aaron - if I book an award in Jan 2014 and then make changes in Feb or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage reqs. or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?

Hi DWFI, Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines

What is not clear to you? UA Insider clearly said that except Date Change, all other changes would result to reprice the award. When it is repriced after Feb 1, which chart do you think UA would use?
What will happen in my case ?

I booked a one way ticket from BKK to MSP using UA miles

BKK -> NRT (J) (Thai Airways)
NRT -> ORD (F) (ANA Airways)
ORD -> MSP (F) (United)

My question is if BKK-> NRT seat opens up in F and if i upgrade to F from J, will my ticket be repriced using the new award chart?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Sorry if it's been posted, don't want to dig through 101 pages, but if there a link to the FULL new *A chart anywhere? I want to check out all of the rates for routings that don't involve the U.S. to see if it's worth keeping any of my UA miles for something like an intra SE Asia zone award or Europe to Australia or something. Thanks.
Well, some nice soul actually posted it in response to your first request on this topic...

Good luck with AA. Or DL. Or LH. Or BA. Or whoever you choose...

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Mr. (or Ms.) GetSetJetSet:

The Mileage Plus Upgrade and Award Charts (linked at the top of the wiki) provide your answer.

- Old = tickets booked before 2/1/14, can be changed up until travel dates per existing UA change rules.

- New: tickets booked 2/1/14 and beyond.

Old Europe to Northern Africa on a *A award ticket: 17.5 - 30 - 45 (Y - C - F)

Old Europe to Central / Southern Africa on a *A award ticket: 30 - 45 - 60

New Europe to Northern Africa on a *A award ticket: 30 - 55 - 100

New Europe to Central / Southern Africa on a *A award ticket: 30 - 55 - 100

So, if you fly in economy (I doubt it with the GSJS FT moniker), then there is no change Europe to Southern Africa.

C will go from 45,000 to 55,000 miles.

F (as in many of the *A changes) will take a big jump from 60,000 miles to 100,000 miles. Ouch.

The new award chart also combines Northern Africa with Southern / Central Africa, which has the effect of increasing Northern Africa awards by an even greater percentage.

Lark

PS Northern Africa: Algeria Morocco Canary Islands Tunisia Libya

Central Southern Africa: Angola Madagascar Benin Malawi Botswana Mali Burkina Faso Mauritania Burundi Mauritius Cameroon Mozambique Cape Verde Namibia Central African Republic Niger Chad Nigeria Comoros Reunion Island
Congo Rwanda Cote D’Ivoire Sao Tome and Principe Democratic Republic of Congo Senegal Djibouti Seychelles Equatorial Guinea Sierra Leone Eritrea Somalia Ethiopia South Africa Gabon Sudan Gambia Swaziland Ghana Tanzania
Guinea Togo Guinea-Bissau Uganda Kenya Zambia Lesotto Zimbabwe Liberia
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
I only got through the first 10 or so pages of this thread, then gave up both due to frustration and lack of time.
I'm based in Europe but used to spend most of my miles on J awards in Asia (mostly travelling between Japan, China, Singapore, Korea) on SG/TG/OZ/NH, which after the changes i don't think i'd want to do any more.
Is there an alternative A* FFP that would still have rates similar to the current saver award rates intra-asia in MP?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Moreover, I think it is foolhardy to "burn" miles down to zero.
I think it can make sense to burn them down to zero if you think that you're unlikely to earn enough miles in the future to book a decent award under the new chart. But surely that describes a minority of people. In general, I agree with you.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by INDFlyer

ORD -> MSP (F) (United)

My question is if BKK-> NRT seat opens up in F and if i upgrade to F from J, will my ticket be repriced using the new award chart?
That is exactly what I want to know...because the answer to this question really influences the booking strategy. That said, I suspect it will reprice to the new levels.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by artemis
I think it can make sense to burn them down to zero if you think that you're unlikely to earn enough miles in the future to book a decent award under the new chart. But surely that describes a minority of people. In general, I agree with you.
For those of us moving to the dAArk side or to US, getting rid of MP miles is very logical
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
According to UAInsider, it gets repriced.

Originally Posted by INDFlyer

ORD -> MSP (F) (United)

Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
For those of us moving to the dAArk side or to US, getting rid of MP miles is very logical
Agreed. And there are more than just a few who will make this move.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.